• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JayDeep

How can 30m be acceptable anymore

Even a dress watch should be waterproof(ish) - would you think twice about taking it off to save one of your kids if they fell into some water?

• Like 1

That's a highly unlikely scenario akin to the pilot having to ditch in the sea mentioned earlier.  What about your mobile phone?  Are you going to remember to take that out of your pocket or does that have to be waterproof too?

Like most kids larking about, I fell (or was pushed!) into water several times as a child.  I got out by myself amidst much laughter but my barely water resistant Timex kept on ticking regardless :)

Then there's the question of keeping it waterproof over time.  It might be waterproof when it leaves the factory, but what about 3, 5, 10 years later?  If you're that concerned about water resistance, are you prepared to take the time, make the effort and endure the expense of getting it checked out every year?  Maybe we should introduce a MOisT test for watches to make sure they stay up to spec ;)

9 hours ago, rhaythorne said:

That's a highly unlikely scenario akin to the pilot having to ditch in the sea mentioned earlier.  What about your mobile phone?  Are you going to remember to take that out of your pocket or does that have to be waterproof too?

Like most kids larking about, I fell (or was pushed!) into water several times as a child.  I got out by myself amidst much laughter but my barely water resistant Timex kept on ticking regardless :)

Then there's the question of keeping it waterproof over time.  It might be waterproof when it leaves the factory, but what about 3, 5, 10 years later?  If you're that concerned about water resistance, are you prepared to take the time, make the effort and endure the expense of getting it checked out every year?  Maybe we should introduce a MOisT test for watches to make sure they stay up to spec ;)

Yes my phone's are water resistant too. They also make water resistant cases for most of them and I also get those. I also have insurance on my phone which does cover complete negligence. Nothing to cover a watch.

And yes, with what I'm paying for watches, I have no issue with have the seals replaced every few years.

On 10/19/2017 at 19:22, JayDeep said:

Say you're barbequing at a pool party and someone gets the bright idea of pushing you in the pool.

You really okay with the idea of a thousand dollar 30m water tight watch?

Or you're on vacation and wearing a 50m w/r watch, happen to be near the ocean and want to go in. You going to take it off and hope it doesn't get stolen? You going to be lame and stay out of the water?

Have you considered engaging your BRAIN? Perhaps wear a different watch at your pool parties.

Happen to be near the ocean and want to go in? Might be an idea to have some swim trunks and a towel handy but where do you hide that expensive camera while you take your little dip? Is your wallet and cash all water resistant or thief proof? :OyVey::laughing2dw::laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jay how deep do you actually go when you are pushed into a pool or fancy a skinny dip? If the watch is healthy and the seals checked (your responsibility not the manufacturers after the warranty) then 30m is fine is it not?

• Like 2

I never learned how to swim so am generally not that bothered about the water resistance of watches. If I have to do anything that might get my watches wet I usually take them off -  It`s not exactly rocket science :rolleyes:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

I never learned how to swim so am generally not that bothered about the water resistance of watches. If I have to do anything that might get my watches wet I usually take them off -  It`s not exactly rocket science :rolleyes:

Seems far too complicated for those in Trump land. :biggrin::biggrin:

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

+1.

30m is fine by me and I can't see what the fuss is about, if you want or need a higher rating then buy a more suitable watch, at whatever price or style your happy with. As mach says " its not exactly rocket science"!

• Like 2

Never mind making all watches  w/r - what about clothes? Took the dogs for a walk ion the woods this afternoon in the sunshine. After about 20 minutes it started to rain and my clothes got a bit damp. This must happen to lots of people - pop out of the office to grab a sandwich and get caught in a sudden shower etc. Must be far more common than suddenly deciding you want a swim or have to jump in the river because your kids have fallen in so lets change the campaign and insist that all clothes have to be shower proof as a minimum. :thumbs_up: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, richy176 said:

all clothes have to be shower proof as a minimum. :thumbs_up: 

Beat you to it, ventile shirt and trooser's.:thumbsup:

1-5__67604.1493911504.jpg?c=2

That looks like something Kim Jong-un would favour.

Edited by Padders
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

A lot of urban mythology going on in this thread.

K7Z8kI.jpg

I've had this Armani for longer than I can remember, it's been in pools, jaccuzis, showers, saunas, ski lifts, stripper bars and 40*C+ in Grand Canaria with no screw down crown or pushers, I'm not even sure it has a WP rating.

Not a hint of misting up and it still ticks like it did when it was new.

Carry on as you were

:biggrin:

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Padders said:

In collaboration with a man from Aboyne. :laughing2dw:

11 hours ago, richy176 said:

Have you considered engaging your BRAIN? Perhaps wear a different watch at your pool parties.

Happen to be near the ocean and want to go in? Might be an idea to have some swim trunks and a towel handy but where do you hide that expensive camera while you take your little dip? Is your wallet and cash all water resistant or thief proof? :OyVey::laughing2dw::laughing2dw:

Pool parties I attend are almost always impromptu, no chance of planning.

Same with trips to the beach, although I never have a camera with me, that's what phones are for and mine can take pictures and record under water. Wallet is a good point. I've just never bothered to care, but I keep a minimalist wallet with nothing in it that can be hurt so I don't think twice about it.

In any case, again these are just a couple of the tons of such instances. Which is why I'd rather have a watch I don't have to think about. There's enough to have to worry over.

I stick to my guns with all logic behind me, it's absurd not to have at least 100m.

Ok well logic me this. As I already asked you when do you, during your clothed aquatic frolicked ever go deeper than about 2m because if that is the full extent of your activities then a 30m depth rating is about 28m over specified for you. 

54 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Pool parties I attend are almost always impromptu, no chance of planning.

Same with trips to the beach, although I never have a camera with me, that's what phones are for and mine can take pictures and record under water. Wallet is a good point. I've just never bothered to care, but I keep a minimalist wallet with nothing in it that can be hurt so I don't think twice about it.

In any case, again these are just a couple of the tons of such instances. Which is why I'd rather have a watch I don't have to think about. There's enough to have to worry over.

I stick to my guns with all logic behind me, it's absurd not to have at least 100m.

I'm not going to go to an impromptu pool party in the UK, believe me, so 30m is 28 m OTT.

2 hours ago, Padders said:

A good point, I think we might have to keep a close watch on Comrade Wrench 59ebc26a6a87b_(21).gif.7a8ac461fd8d7cac669b014d0194ab26.gif

:laugh:

I guess my real point is I want to be able to leave my watch on. Why wouldn't I?

Just seems lazy and inexcusable.

58 minutes ago, Padders said:

Ok well logic me this. As I already asked you when do you, during your clothed aquatic frolicked ever go deeper than about 2m because if that is the full extent of your activities then a 30m depth rating is about 28m over specified for you. 

Not at all even close

50 minutes ago, RWP said:

I'm not going to go to an impromptu pool party in the UK, believe me, so 30m is 28 m OTT.

Lol good on you mate, I guess.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Okay, I thought this was pretty common knowledge but maybe that's what I get for thinking...

30m is not a depth rating. Depth rating are only such when they are ISO rated or over 300m as tested for saturation diving. 30m means splashes, rain and washing of hands, nothing more and certainly not submersion into any kind of water regardless of temperature or chemical make up (ie: chlorinated or fresh or salt).

7 hours ago, JayDeep said:

Okay, I thought this was pretty common knowledge but maybe that's what I get for thinking...

30m is not a depth rating. Depth rating are only such when they are ISO rated or over 300m as tested for saturation diving. 30m means splashes, rain and washing of hands, nothing more and certainly not submersion into any kind of water regardless of temperature or chemical make up (ie: chlorinated or fresh or salt).

...and swimming. If you have a modern Omega. Pool party? Accidental dip in the pool?  No problem!

How water resistant are OMEGA watches?

All current OMEGA watches come from the factory with at least a 30m/100ft depth rating water resistance--sufficient to handle basic water activities like hand washing, swimming, and other light water activities. This includes the Constellation, Speedmaster and DeVille models. The Dynamic comes with a 50m/150ft depth rating. And for the best depth ratings, the Seamaster line has models rated for 120m/400ft, 200m/660ft, and the Professional series which is rated for 300m/1000ft.

It is very important to understand that water resistance is not permanent. Your watch's ability to resist water entering it depends on rubber seals that must be checked and replaced regularly to ensure that age, temperature, and other conditions have not weakened them.

19 minutes ago, Steve D UK said:

...and swimming. If you have a modern Omega. Pool party? Accidental dip in the pool?  No problem!

How water resistant are OMEGA watches?

All current OMEGA watches come from the factory with at least a 30m/100ft depth rating water resistance--sufficient to handle basic water activities like hand washing, swimming, and other light water activities. This includes the Constellation, Speedmaster and DeVille models. The Dynamic comes with a 50m/150ft depth rating. And for the best depth ratings, the Seamaster line has models rated for 120m/400ft, 200m/660ft, and the Professional series which is rated for 300m/1000ft.

It is very important to understand that water resistance is not permanent. Your watch's ability to resist water entering it depends on rubber seals that must be checked and replaced regularly to ensure that age, temperature, and other conditions have not weakened them.

Still a safe and accurate rule. Pointing out a single brand that chooses to go above the mark of you pay $3k or more doesn't disprove a point at all.

But thank you for proving it can and should be done.

14 hours ago, JayDeep said:

Read what I said above again if you need to understand my point better. If you have a decent watch (ie not Chinese junk) which has healthy seals and has had its water resistance recently checked using the correct equipment then 30m water resistance means exactly that. Why do you think otherwise? Yes manufacturers used to play fast and loose with this but reputable manufactuers do not and the water resistance can be depended on. Do you think the pressure testing machine is in some way foolable? It isn't just Omega whose depth ratings can be depended on, I have seen plenty of £200-500 European and Japanese brands whose cases are water tight to and beyond their ratings when tested as they routinely are at service time.

One man's common knowledge is another's old wives tale...

Edited by Padders

I bought a seiko 5 in 1970 and never took it off. Went swimming, shower etc with it on for 5 years. I lost it in the engine room of a ship but thankfully someone found it about a month later in the bilge under a pump I had been working on. Cleaned and off it went again. Then I stupidly had it serviced at a shop in Tonbridge Wells. Within a week it had mist on the inside of the glass and that was the end of it.

Moral of the story - if it isnt broken dont try to fix it.

• Like 1

Or find a better service centre.

As stated previously, 30m is great, except the ISO spec states a watch with that on should not even go in the shower. I suspect most watches would be fine, but that's going above and beyond the official spec.

4 hours ago, chas g said:

I bought a seiko 5 in 1970 and never took it off. Went swimming, shower etc with it on for 5 years. I lost it in the engine room of a ship but thankfully someone found it about a month later in the bilge under a pump I had been working on. Cleaned and off it went again. Then I stupidly had it serviced at a shop in Tonbridge Wells. Within a week it had mist on the inside of the glass and that was the end of it.

Moral of the story - if it isnt broken dont try to fix it.

That's awesome. Good for you. I like the moral of your story and usually agree.

4 hours ago, Padders said:

Read what I said above again if you need to understand my point better. If you have a decent watch (ie not Chinese junk) which has healthy seals and has had its water resistance recently checked using the correct equipment then 30m water resistance means exactly that. Why do you think otherwise? Yes manufacturers used to play fast and loose with this but reputable manufactuers do not and the water resistance can be depended on. Do you think the pressure testing machine is in some way foolable? It isn't just Omega whose depth ratings can be depended on, I have seen plenty of £200-500 European and Japanese brands whose cases are water tight to and beyond their ratings when tested as they routinely are at service time.

One man's common knowledge is another's old wives tale...

I definitely do not trust your word on this as nobody else has ever stated such and all reliable sources in the watch world say the exact opposite, they say what I reiterated to you.