• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Good evening. I am hoping to get answers about a specific watch i received, inherited from my great grandfather. Cant seem to find the model or serial number, and have searched everywhere on the net and forums with no results. Here are a few photos. The band it came with was one of the stretch type. It is a windup as well. One of the numbers etched on the back of the plate is 836/977. Thanks in advance for all of your help.51d383c32a6ad5a67735604de02787aa.jpg1f11f798c779e79363f350676c359e14.jpg7843c50968d48aca737a2b61c7843eb2.jpg224542b9a26265b77700752a797dd161.jpg51d383c32a6ad5a67735604de02787aa.jpg693810977d2b6e69505fadf39800a5c6.jpg76102ce7a8f7f38f539fbdaf8315e879.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correction on the etched number: 8396/977. As well the date i believe is etched on the backing plate as 15/3/96.

The marks on the case back are watchmakers marks scratched in when serviced or repaired, date wise I would guess C 1960s and I believe wittnauer had some kind of connection with Longines but don’t quote me on that.  The movement is of good quality though and certainly worth spending a few quid on getting serviced imo 

ps if you can see a calibre number usually under the balance that would give you a better indication of date and possibly model 

Edited by andyclient

Also, Wittnauer made Swiss watches but also non-Swiss watches. This is the Swiss kind apparently.

Apart from dates, some of those markings represent parts that were worked on or swapped, something like that...

As Andy has said look around or under (if you can) this part and there should be some numbers and a symbol. It'll tell us the movement and we'll be able to tell the period better but I too feel like it's a 1960s watch but I think it could be late 50s as well. Disregard the arrows.

bad-hairspring-day1.jpg

Edited by gimli

I have seen several vintage Swiss made Wittnauer watches that use Longines movements... But just marked Wittnauer, so I am guessing this could be the same?

Cheers Martin :thumbsup:

Also, Wittnauer made Swiss watches but also non-Swiss watches. This is the Swiss kind apparently.
Apart from dates, some of those markings represent parts that were worked on or swapped, something like that...
As Andy has said look around or under (if you can) this part and there should be some numbers and a symbol. It'll tell us the movement and we'll be able to tell the period better but I too feel like it's a 1960s watch but I think it could be late 50s as well. Disregard the arrows.
bad-hairspring-day1.jpg

I took a look and there are no symbols just a small stamp saying 56