• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
WRENCH

Vostok brass bezel.

I found an online "tutorial" showing how to remove the chrome plating with a dremel from a Vostok bezel, a bit extreme I thought, so here's the result of five minutes with some medium Scotchbrite.

large.1506776209639684941411.jpg.ef1a56145a28f9e59265806d90977579.jpg

It'll polish up nicely with a cape cod cloth now. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I wonder if it's worth coating the bezel with the stuff they use on brass clocks - ie a thin rub on eg Horolacq Brass Lacquer??

Edited by odyseus10

13 minutes ago, odyseus10 said:

I wonder if it's worth coating the bezel with the stuff they use on brass clocks - ie a thin rub on eg Horolacq Brass Lacquer??

Might give it a try. I'm going to experiment with some "accelerators" I've concocted for other things I make from non ferrous metals, for effects. I use a satin lacquer to slow down further oxidisation, I'll give Horolacq a try. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

On 30 September 2017 at 14:07, WRENCH said:

I found an online "tutorial" showing how to remove the chrome plating with a dremel from a Vostok bezel, a bit extreme I thought, so here's the result of five minutes with some medium Scotchbrite.

large.1506776209639684941411.jpg.ef1a56145a28f9e59265806d90977579.jpg

It'll polish up nicely with a cape cod cloth now. :thumbsup:

Wrench, did you repainted the markers after scrotchbriting or did you manage to get the chrome off and leave the painted markers? Any shots of the polished end product ? Regards Jamie 

:thumbs_up:

4 minutes ago, Littlelegs said:

Wrench, did you repainted the markers after scrotchbriting or did you manage to get the chrome off and leave the painted markers? Any shots of the polished end product ? Regards Jamie 

:thumbs_up:

Still the original paint. I got it mirror polished with a Cape Cod cloth. I intend to put a lume dot in the round red marking. :thumbsup:

Hmmmm, I may give that a go at some point on my amphibia. I bet the contrast with a chrome case looks good. If you get chance I'd like to see a pic,of the finished look :clap:

• Like 1