• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Avenger Fan

Looking for a simple Russian watch

Hi all. 

So I'm looking for a simple Russian watch. 

Once upon a time my father used to wear a simple watch. No numbers on the blue watch face, and non-pointy hands. That look is really important to me (childhood memories I guess).

Must say that this was bought in the USSR (we lived in the USSR), and I vaguely remember that it might have been a "Vostok". 

How much am I looking to spend on something like that now? 

These are pretty simple.

large.IMG_20170609_105139.jpg.1c324020d7d36a0e507f70bf2354e6b7.jpglarge.IMG_20170602_191947.jpg.6b305e2508931592506a16fdd8e6ab80.jpglarge.IMG_20170506_123526.jpg.429efefb4c83e75840d1359e7124d2ef.jpg

All 36mm.

All got numbers though. Possibly, you may find what you're looking for in the used listings on eBay or etsy. Remember to use the worldwide search option for more choice. Also, there are blue dialed Pobeda watches on the same sites.

56227d6ba650f248e4309e86f967a45b--deep-b

They are about as basic as you'll get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lampoc said:

Vostok are one of the few remaining Russian watch manufacturers. Have a look at the factory shop to see what they still make: https://meranom.com/en/

Thank you, that's my Saunday nigth sorted then! :P

2 hours ago, Lampoc said:

Vostok are one of the few remaining Russian watch manufacturers. Have a look at the factory shop to see what they still make: https://meranom.com/en/

Thank you, that's my Sunday nigth sorted then! :P

The main reason that I bought a Rotary Avenger is because that's the aesthetic that I'm after. It looks almost identical to the watch my dad wore back in the day (most of the 90s)

not sure how to insert an image, but the one I have looks like this: https://www.houseofwatches.co.uk/rotary-mens-avenger-watch-gb02874-05?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxdPNBRDmARIsAAw-TUn5w2WQXrcYX2u8A_bR868XtfeZljJ5YYl3FYot2fmG7R_IRc0QdXAaAu9HEALw_wcB 

Thsi isn't quite right, but just out of interest, what do you make of this £30 one from Russia: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUSSIAN-VOSTOK-MILITARY-KOMANDIRSKIE-WATCH-211289-NEW/252596507216?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3Dc2b25012a8d6449fa6648ae7a0e82e7b%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D253137749554&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507 ?

Cheers

Vlad

23 minutes ago, Avenger Fan said:

Standard new Komandirskie from a decent seller who many here have used before. I'd be happy with it, though I'd prefer an automatic.

Edited by Lampoc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lampoc said:

Standard new Komandirskie from a decent seller who many here have used before. I'd be happy with it, though I'd prefer an automatic.

Thanks, that's good to know. 

I found the same in the automatic version; sadly it's out of stock?!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUSSIAN-VOSTOK-MILITARY-KOMANDIRSKIE-WATCH-921289-NEW-/262970081461?hash=item3d3a3d00b5:g:wCsAAOSwrhBZDbK2 

1 hour ago, Avenger Fan said:

Looks great! Could you please explain to the un-initiated as to why the amphibia is a better bet?

Cheers

Vlad

Of course! Amphibias differ a fair bit to the similar looking Komandirskies, the main one being they are a proper diving watch, water resistant to 200 metres as opposed to the Komandirskies 50m. Also, the Amphibia cases are made of stainless steel while the Komandirskies are a cheaper chrome-plated brass.

The Amphibia is a true icon among watches. There's a great article about them here: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f54/vostok-amphibia-analysis-design-methodology-491757.html

• Like 1

Komandirskie is 100m water resistant and has a nicer solid crown. It's also slightly wider and has a wider bracelet.

1 hour ago, Hussle said:

Komandirskie is 100m water resistant and has a nicer solid crown. It's also slightly wider and has a wider bracelet.

I think you're getting confused with the newer, much more expensive K34 Komandirskies. The originals are none of those things above.

One of the K-34s ($187!):

Vostok_Komandirskie_K-34_480514_01-480x4

No confusion, I have this one at £48 new

large.IMG_20170815_123931.jpg.7bf119af14127e2f5c224f85a58162a8.jpg

100m, solid crown, auto 32 jewels and slightly wider than my Amphibia.

5 minutes ago, Hussle said:

No confusion, I have this one at £48 new

100m, solid crown, auto 32 jewels and slightly wider than my Amphibia.

Ah yes! The new 350 cased Komandirskies. I forgot about them. Very nice watches.

However, the original, cheaper automatic Komandirskies (as linked to on eBay by Avenger) are still 50m, chrome plated brass and the same width as the 420 Amphibia. And the chrome plated crown sucks :D

I would be inclined to go for a classic Komandirskie. I have that and the amphibia and will say that for the same price the Komandirskie feels better quality. Do you need 200m water resistance? 

The Komandirskie 35 on the meranom site are better made and look better quality imo for the same money.

1 minute ago, Hussle said:

The Komandirskie 35 on the meranom site are better made and look better quality imo for the same money.

Thanks for your input. 

Please would you post links to the products?

• Like 1

Thanks for your input so far everyone. 

The main thing that concerns me is that the faces are plastic and I scratch watches easily. My Rotary Avenger is borosilicate glass and I've managed to scratch it. 

What is the model Vostok/komandirskie/amfibia that are glass faced? 

Also - what exactly is the difference in the number of stones/jewels? The more the better? 

And yes, I'd like it to be 200m water resistant - as every once in a while I shower with my watch on (accidentally) and that's how I trashed my first Avenger. It was returned and refnded under warranty. I got another Avenger on eBay after a thread on here and have been looking after it like the apple of me eye. 

The acrylic crystals on all Amphibias (apart from a very few special editions) are easily scratched - however the scratches are very easily polished out too. Just buy some "polywatch" and a quick polish will take about 5 minutes. Far better than mineral crystals in my opinion as once you scratch them they're pretty much ruined (Admittedly I prefer sapphire crystals though).

Because an automatic movement is more complex than a manual winding movement, it has more jewels (normally synthetic sapphires or rubies) to eliminate friction in the more moving parts.

Good call on the Amphibia - certainly my favourite :thumbs_up:

The main issue with the Amphibia is those bloody watch hands. Why do they have to be such gaudy looking arrows with that big arrow head?

I quite like this: https://meranom.com/en/komandirskie-classic/92/vostok-watch-komandirskie-921289.html especially as the arrow heads are more sedate but we're back to chromed brass and not stainless steel as well as the waterproofing being "standard". Not sure what to do now! 

29 minutes ago, Avenger Fan said:

The main issue with the Amphibia is those bloody watch hands. Why do they have to be such gaudy looking arrows with that big arrow head?

I quite like this: https://meranom.com/en/komandirskie-classic/92/vostok-watch-komandirskie-921289.html especially as the arrow heads are more sedate but we're back to chromed brass and not stainless steel as well as the waterproofing being "standard". Not sure what to do now! 

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/vostok-amphibia

Information overload. :laughing2dw:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Avenger Fan said:

It's so you can get excited when it's "rocket-o-clock" every 1 hour 6 minutes. :tongue:

• Like 1