• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
ab20000

Macro photography

ab20000    25

Does anybody do macro photography? I'd like to be able to take decent photos of watches including the mechanisms.  I've got a decent DSLR (Nikon D750) but don't want to spend loads of money on a macro lens.

I've heard about extender tubes and reverse rings etc but wanted to hear from peoples first hand experiences

Thanks,

Amplidyne    18

Apart from the equipment, you need as much light as possible and / or long exposure times. Use a small aperture too (bigger F stop) to get more depth of field. (more of the subject in focus. I tend to use "live view" at it's maximum magnification, with manual focus to get the focus where I want it. Ideally you mount the camera on a a macro focusing rail or slider, but good ones (as everything) are expensive.

I've seen a setup to photograph things like watches which uses a piece of  glass angled at 45 degrees over the subject. The light source shines onto the underside of the glass, which reflects the light onto the subject, the camera being placed above the glass. I haven't tried it, but it looks successful. There's a tutorial here I see: (no affiliation)

https://photography.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-create-high-key-macro-photos-with-axial-lighting--cms-23476

William_Wilson    7,326

With macro you can go as crazy as you want. If you were truly touched in the head, you might even purchase a trinocular strereoscope and attach a camera. :rolleyes:

microscope79.jpg

microscope06.jpg

microscope99.jpg

seiko007-47.jpg

I almost never use it. :laugh:

Later,
William

• Like 1

Amplidyne    18

^Impressive results! I did have a play with my DSLR mounted onto a Chinese microscope with very mixed (read bad) results!

Looked into better microscopes, but as usual cost seemed to be getting silly for decent results.

Which microscope are you using?

William_Wilson    7,326
On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎28 at 12:40, Amplidyne said:

^Impressive results! I did have a play with my DSLR mounted onto a Chinese microscope with very mixed (read bad) results!

Looked into better microscopes, but as usual cost seemed to be getting silly for decent results.

Which microscope are you using?

The details are located in this thread: 

Later,
William

• Like 1

vinn    261

extension tubes  pre date "macro lenses"  and are easy to use.  it is the lighting that is most important.

• Like 1