• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
scottswatches

help when choosing a replacement crown

scottswatches    4,837

I have a 1968 Omega de Ville that needs a replacement crown.  

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/omega-waterproof-crowns-03mm-over?code=42076SX

This one is for a waterproof Omega, is gold plated and has the right diameter, but the pendant tube is listed at 1.6mm.  Is this the inner diameter, or the outer?

The pendant tube on my watch has an outside diameter of 1.8mm, hence my confusion :huh:  My verniers won't measure the inside diameter

Thanks in advance

simon2    75

The tube diameter refers to the external. Diameter of the tube. You need a waterproof button that fits a 1.80 tube. Look again at cousins list. If in doubt shout.

• Like 1

scottswatches    4,837

I can see choices at 2.0mm and 1.6mm, but nothing at 1.8.  :(

17 minutes ago, simon2 said:

Look again at cousins list. If in doubt shout.

SHOUT!   :laugh:

simon2    75

Am not in my workshop this weekend ,so don't have access to my books. Do you have an omega case number? Don't buy the crown just yet. Have you measured the thread size?

SBryantgb    10,115
14 minutes ago, simon2 said:

Am not in my workshop this weekend ,so don't have access to my books. Do you have an omega case number? Don't buy the crown just yet. Have you measured the thread size?

I've gone round in circles trying to decipher the correct crown for two of my Omegas :yes:.

gimli    1,517

When you find the crown you think is right be sure to check pictures of the same reference on the internet or the Omega archive so that you have the correct crown not just in size but also as far as period and model goes.

• Like 1

andyclient    923

You should be able to get the crown from cousins by the case number.  Should take any element of guesswork out   I've used this method a couple of times with them :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

scottswatches    4,837
16 hours ago, simon2 said:

The case is a 165.008.  I can't measure the thread size, but all the options seem to be 0.9mm.  Just using the verniers across the stem it seems to be 0.7, but I know this isn't the most reliable method of measuring.  I had better add a pitch gauge to my shopping list!  The Ranfft info shows the stem as W3203, but I can't find spec's for this part either?

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Omega_711

Using the method @andyclient mentioned the part is restricted supply, 42044SX, but that at least gives the specification.  

• Like 1