• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Always"watching"

Accurist Skymaster Version 7050

Yes, I am an Accurist fan, but even so, I reckon that the Skymaster analogue/digital watch is still a bit special. Accurist obviously think so too because although the Skymaster started out life under the Loftus regime at Accurist, it has been continued on, after the move of the company to Time Products. A notable feature of the outlets selling the Skymaster in its various iterations is how Argos has championed the model for some considerable time, and continues to place one version in its bargain watch section as it did in the previous Spring/Summer 2017 catalogue. In fact, the model and colourway I discuss here below is listed by Accurist themselves at a RRP of £175, and Argos is not given on the Accurist website as one of the listed outlets selling the watch

In their last catalogue, Argos was selling the blue Skymaster with leather strap for £39.99, and I snapped up one of those. The only problem was that on some of those watches, presumably the most recently manufactured, the evocative Skymaster logo had been omitted. However, with the latest low-price Skymaster from Argos, version 7050, it appears that this omission has been rectified, and although the price is now £49.99 for the leather strap and black dial version, the watch is, in my mind, a bit of a bargain.

In looking at the various versions of the Skymaster shown in the new Autumn/Winter Argos catalogue, one feature of the least expensive, £49.95, version that doesn't appear on the others is the appearance of greenish lume on hands and markers. Some versions have a white lume, also on larger markers, while others actually have smaller markers and the lume is therefore far less dominant. Having now examined the black dial, leather strap model for myself, I really like that greenish, more dominant lume. It somehow pushes the watch "back in time" and give one a greater sense of this being a watch designed for use by a pilot. I also like the red sweep hand and the red rendition of the Skymaster designation on the dial.

The specs of the £49.99 Skymaster in Argos are perfectly decent. Water resistance is at 50 metres and the crystal is mineral glass. The watch has a stainless steel case and aluminium bezel, and features a twentieth of a second chronograph, alarm and day/date display. Argos states that the "face" of the watch measures 38.5mm but this seems to relate to the dial. I think the watch is more like 45mm across.

Before showing a pic of this watch, I must state that I have nothing to do with Argos, and am not promoting the company here. Nevertheless, I have to say that I have not seen the Skymaster model in H. Samuel branches in my area, even though the company is listed by Accurist as selling the watch, and I have a feeling that it may only be available now from Argos and certain online only outlets, especially the edition shown here. As you will have gathered, I do like the Skymaster, and I especially like the black dial/ leather strap version. I suspect that the quartz movement used in the model is somewhat "old hat" by now, but the Skymaster 7050 is a handsome beast, and worth a look. At about £50, surely you can't go wrong.

The black dial/leather strap Accurist Skymaster currently available at Argos for £49.99 (pic from media.4rgos.it):

7241635_R_SET?$Main768$&w=620&h=620 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

RWP    14,447

Great VFM Honour, and looks nice too :thumbsup:

Chris 37    49

I bought the blue version with black strap last year from Argos for £39.99, bit of a bargain I thought. I was in Lancaster a couple of weeks ago and popped into Argos there and found the same blue with black strap skymaster and it was priced at £79.99, really made my day.

Nice watch still make a me happy.

YXIL5Lt.jpg

• Like 1

alxbly    155

I just reserved the black version in store for collection tomorrow... Pics once I pick it up. :yes:

alxbly    155

One Skymaster later, with a quick strap change. 

240082552061202.jpg

I like it. For £50 it's a real bargain. 

• Like 4