• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
martyndarkly

Vostok on Etsy

I've been recommended Vostoks by several people on the forum, and as I like smaller watches I thought I'd look for vintage models as they'd more likely be around the 38mm I prefer. 

Found this offering on Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/491394620/vintage-russian-military-wristwatch?ref=related-5

il_570xN.1120711980_kdkb.jpg

Now, as I'm not that familiar with the brand I was wondering whether this was a good deal, and of course if it's an actual Vostok? 

Any clues I should be looking for? Any advice would be appreciated. 

Edited by martyndarkly

In regards to Vostoks, especially Vostok Amphibias be careful as there are a lot of "vintage" watches made out of new parts, sometimes original, sometimes aftermarket.

I think this one seems legit, though. Quite battered up but for this price I'm not sure if you can do better unless you go for the watches that I mentioned earlier. Those go for 30-40$ as well but it's better to have an actual original time piece than some shady thing.

Brand new that watch is about £38.68 from the guy I got mine off (without making an offer), ebay seller koche-vikto but be prepared for a wait of about 4 weeks! It's a slow train from Russia.

s-l1600.jpg

This is what I'm waiting for.

10 minutes ago, Hussle said:

Brand new that watch is about £38.68 from the guy I got mine off (without making an offer), ebay seller koche-vikto but be prepared for a wait of about 4 weeks! It's a slow train from Russia.

s-l1600.jpg

This is what I'm waiting for.

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at what he has on offer. :)

17 minutes ago, gimli said:

In regards to Vostoks, especially Vostok Amphibias be careful as there are a lot of "vintage" watches made out of new parts, sometimes original, sometimes aftermarket.

I think this one seems legit, though. Quite battered up but for this price I'm not sure if you can do better unless you go for the watches that I mentioned earlier. Those go for 30-40$ as well but it's better to have an actual original time piece than some shady thing.

Thanks. Good to know that there are plenty of dodgy offerings out there. 

Also, the newer ones are in many ways of lesser quality than the vintage USSR ones. For example the one posted just now has a low quality crown that is made out of thinner metal than normal. Just my opinion. Don't know about the rest of the watch.

• Thanks 1

If you want a new, cheap Vostok go visit Meranom.com. However, I think a lot of the charm and character were in the Soviet-era watches and I agree with Gimli that the Soviet ones were of better quality. Vostoks did hit a quality nadir in the 90s though and they've certainly improved since then.

The one you've linked to on Etsy is an early 90s model - you can tell by the lack of text stating where it was made on the dial (Post USSR, pre Russia). The case is pretty much knackered too. I'd avoid it.

Here's a Soviet produced model in much better condition to keep an eye on:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USSR-SOVIET-RUSSIAN-VOSTOK-KOMANDIRSKIE-TANK-RED-STAR-MILITARY-WATCH-/292199176333?hash=item44086d988d:g:CxYAAOSwjL5ZNBDB

2 hours ago, Lampoc said:

If you want a new, cheap Vostok go visit Meranom.com

I'd agree with that. The frustrating thing with Meranom is that anything I see that I want is always out of stock.:( Over the years I've had a lot of Vostok's, and buying new, I've never had a bad one, always run around + 5-10 secs per day. The one in @martyndarkly's post looks like it could be a "cobbled" up watch and I would avoid it. I agree with @gimli re the crown, but the rest of the watches are OK, stainless casings and still as durable. If you pay attention, some of the models appearing on eBay have the new much improved crown which as @Lampoc mentioned in another post is a huge improvement.

Picture from Meranom.

Vostok_Ampibia_SS_Crown_71k-01-340x340.j

At $5 + post, I'm going to order up a few and convert my older Amphibians. All part of the fun. :thumbsup:

Besides the crown I'd also pay attention to dials. I've seen quite a lot of Vostoks with low quality dials. I don't know whether they are Indian or China or just some sort of cheap russian fakes.

@Hussle I didn't read it anywhere, it's just experience. But I don't know if those low quality thin crowns are original or just fakes like other parts. I guess they may be dubious as I've seen plenty of Vostoks out there with good quality materials being used in them.

• Thanks 1

The low quality crowns are unfortunately original! Probably made in the same stamping workshop as those horrible bracelets :D

Edited by Lampoc

2 hours ago, gimli said:

Who would have thought that Russians are liars and swindlers ? :rolleyes:

No one has the monopoly on such practices. :huh: