UK Watch Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

RdB watches, handcrafted from Italy

12K views 90 replies 21 participants last post by  Roy 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm Guido from RdB watches.

We have projected and realize a unique wrist watch starting from a hex nut and its screw.

I hope you'll enjoy and your comments on it will be welcome.

M24 is the name of the watch. Built on demand in Italy.

It has a swiss ETA movement, the case is 36mm.

Some pictures here, have a nice evening!

28r0c8y.jpg

291nihl.jpg

wl1tnq.jpg

See less See more
#2 ·
may be this should be in the kick-starter section , while it may not be a kick-starter project it may be a better place for a intro ?

Well , that's different to my eyes, they are what you call lugs :) , white dial / bracelet would be my choice ,

so questions,

how long is the build time from order, what kind of price point aree the pieces?

deano

#3 ·
Thanks for the response Deano.

Good choice...I personally wear an M24 in white dial....note that that is a test dial....the definitive version is shown in the picture with the boxes watches.

I'm a newbie here, what is the kick-starter section about?

is there a private message function on this forum so that I can post You some information?

Thanks

#4 ·
Thanks for the response Deano.

Good choice...I personally wear an M24 in white dial....note that that is a test dial....the definitive version is shown in the picture with the boxes watches.

I'm a newbie here, what is the kick-starter section about?

is there a private message function on this forum so that I can post You some information?

Thanks
The PM facility requires you to have 50 posts so you can not use it yet.

The kickstarter section was started so that people could promote their watches but there is also a section for headed `official watch makers forum' .

It is generally considered bad manners to join the forum and immediately post about watches that you are trying to sell rather than contacting the forum owner @Royand asking permission. Yoy may find that this thread gets moved.

As for the watch, it looks good and a bit different but 36mm is way too small for me as even 40mm is at my lower limit. Price point and build time will be important and probably best to post this information on the forum than send individual pms.

#5 ·
Yes, please contact the Forum owner Roy before seeking free advertising, and then you may go far

If you don't you may just go.

The introduction section is more about you, and how you got addicted to watches. What you have already, what you want etc. Not for advertising

Reactions: Chromejob
#7 ·
What's the movement? What's teh case material? What type of lume? Do you regulate them prior to shipment? What's your warranty period? Does it transfer to second owners?

Please don't just say Swiss ETA mvement. We know where ETA makes their ebauches. There is watch expertise here that probably far exceeds your own, so be aware of the audience you're speaking to. ;)

Reactions: RdBwatches
#8 ·
Thanks to Roy for moving the thread here.

I will start from the beginning.

The idea of creating a watch from a nut and its screw goes back to the late 90s.

After many years full of issues and second yhougths, the watch is finally here!

What make this toy unique is its case, wich is split in an external case and an internal one.

The external is derived from the m24 (36mm) hexagonal nut, the internal (wich holds the caliber) comes from the head of the relative screw.

This below is a maquette showing the evolution of the external case:

8zi5o1.jpg

Here instead the pieces composing the whole case:

28bf97c.jpg

(sorry I have to write at bets due to lack of time)

#9 ·
So, one of the biggest issues when you're trying to build a case from the head of a screw.....is the lack of space.

the cal ETA 2671 was chosen for its compact size.

the lugs was another big trouble. They're machined on 8 axle lathe and anchored to the case.

the basic material for the M24 is stainless steel AISI 304 and alumec 89 for some details.

as an option, we can use different materials (titanium, copper, bronze...) and the customer is free to provide us a hex nut and screw to be transformed.

We have 3 different dial colours: white, blue and black.

Notice that, on demand, it is possible to build a M27 model (41 mm).

warranty is 2 year long.

Some pictures in the next post.

#12 ·
Thanks Hussle for your opinion.

The bazel has a big role in the assembly of this watch...so it is fixed here but never say never.

About the date, there is a predisposition for that on the dial and maybe the beta series will have it.

The watch is waterproof (tested 5 atm), but obviously this is not a diver.

It is a handcrafted watch, that's the name of the game.

See below a M24 model worn on the wrist...this is a 36 mm, a 41mm case (the M27) is available as an option.

k9i4qs.jpg

#15 ·
Hi, it looks pretty good, but isn't it a problem that the Victoria inox, which has been a huge success, has already done something similar and has been available for nearly 3-years?

ob9g5m_isxC483ox3Dlf4T82UV6Tt2gk1DMN60_K
Hi Caller,

i strongly doubt that Victorinox is made out of an nut....

Looks like a whole peace of steel to me.

and also quite cheap.

But I have to admit that visually it is the most similar thing to the M24 I've ever seen. :)

Hmmmm it is pretty similar. The Victorinox is not made from a giant nut though is it?

Guido, did you have a price in mind for these watches?
Hi Hussle,

we've already sold a couple of M24s here in Italy.

the M24 with bracelet is priced around 2.800,00 euros.

#21 ·
Well....no problem.

I accept your slating.

It's not easy to show quality and all the work behind machining with some pics.

Visiting our assembly workshop in Como would be much more instructive.

What I do not accept is how someone deal lightly with it, without knowing how many efforts, including economic, we have done to have the M24 here today.

Comparing it to a quartz, mass-headed watch you can find on amazon for 200 bucks...

:huh:

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well it wasn't really a slating, just pointing out a few factors you're gong to have to contend with.

I'm sure you have put in a lot of effort and hard work to get to where you are and as I said, I wish you well. But at the price you are charging (£2476) there are many other watches that grab my attention more, not least a brand new Omega SMP, which I can pick up for less than the price of your watch.

#23 ·
When you request feedback or opinions, you should strap in, put on your mask, and prepare for the best and the worst that people may offer. Remember it's not personal (or oughtn't be). If you try to defend or joust with the feedback you receive, then you've lost your cool. Keep your hair on and accept and record all the feedback you get, with grace.

If you can't do that, stop trawling through watch forums trying to get interest or critique.

Reactions: Caller.
#24 ·
It's been interesting reading this thread and I wish you all the best in your venture, but in my mind the biggest problem you have is price, I know your watch is automatic and the I.N.O.X mentioned earlier is quartz but yours is still six times the price of the I.N.O.X (and that is the price on Victorinox's website so can probably be had cheaper)

Most of your customers will not be watch enthusiasts I would presume (there just aren't that many of us to keep a business afloat) so your customers will probably be motivated by either A) Aesthetics or B) Brand status,and then also price obviously. The problem you have in my mind is that at the price point you are talking about potential customers will see the Victorinox at a much much lower price and be tempted towards that instead of yours. if the potential customer is more brand led than price led you still have the problem of being an unknown as you are new so they are likely again to be tempted towards a bigger (known) brand name. This problem will be compounded by your pricing as it isn't the sort of figure people would be willing to take a chance on (if it was a couple of hundred pounds they might)

Having said all that if you can get pricing, advertising etc all sorted I wish you all the best :thumbsup:

#25 ·
Thanks guys :yes:

Well, we really do not want to compete with big brands....it is a handmade watch with all its pros and cons.

for sure its main peculiarity is not the movement, but how it is machined and what material is obtained from.

M24 audience is a fan of mechanics, even before clockwork.

Ok price is unpopular, but how much would you be willing to pay in the U.K. for a handmade watch, build on demand, like this?

#26 ·
I understand the effort that has gone into the watch, but to you it will hold more value as you designed/invented it and it's your baby that you don't want to sell off 'cheap'. For your customers it's a nice, unusual watch, but unheard of and expensive.

I don't think it should be built on demand, I think you should make a fair few and then sell them. There is no need to build on demand, people want things faster these days so they just want to click and buy and get it delivered in a few days. The retail price must in some way mirror the cost price as you don't yet have a recognisable, desired brand. That has to be built up over many years.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Silver

I do like it but certainly not enough to pay around £ 2,500 Gas Font Sky Circle Heat

Attachments

#29 ·
Hello Roy,

lugs are around 10 mm in length. You're rigth on the bracelet, but in the pics above you see a test series of the M24.

That problem has been solved in the Alpha series.

We have now a certain number of ready to sell watches, in blue/black and White dial option. Professional pics will follow.

We have also had a brainstorm about the price, and we have fixed a retail price of around 900GBP for the M24.

Thanks Roy and thank you all for your suggestions.

The site is on-line here www.rdbwatches.net , for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.