• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JonnyOldBoy

If you did not collect watches .... you would collect ...

Vacuum cleaners, I only have five. None are vintage, however, I'm fascinated by the way they work (or do not).:wink:

If I had the money, and the space, it would be guitars. 

I've bought and sold many over the years...ah, if only they were all still in my possession. 

Such physical, magical creations. Especially the vintage models that have played a variety of songs their whole lives. 

• Like 2

If I was rich ,,, I would collect motorbikes.... I only have one .... I want more.... can someone give me a few thousand quid please.... it will be put to great use .... honestly....

I collect Guitars, Airguns, Optical stuff, Knives as well as other stuff to a lesser degree :thumbsup:
KEtI6TH.jpg

SviMHkJ.jpg

eK2Ud4x.jpg

3msDgfo.jpg

FcNcSq4.jpg

I also have plent of small trees/Shrubs that masquerade as Bonsai :huh:

John :)

• Like 1

Besides the 40+ watches I have accumulated, I also have a small collection of...

fountain pens (Lamy 2000, Pilot Capless (matte black with black nib), Tombow Zoom 505, Pelican M800, Montblanc Meisterstuck 149)

and a small collection of...

multi-tools (Victorinox Spartan, Victorinox SwissChamp, Victorinox SwissChamp XAVT, Victorinox SwissTool (with hex wrench), Victorinox SwissCard, SOG Sync II and a Leatherman Tread which I have paired with a G-Shock as my ultimate end-of-the-world watch).

BUT... if I was really going to break from watch collecting then it would be because of the mounting cost of the hobby and whilst pens and multitools are generally cheaper than watches, they open up a whole other realm of collecting madness. I'm presently eyeing-up a Sterling silver Yard-o-Led pen at nearly £700 (and thinking about branching out into mechanical pencils!), and have my sights set on a Wenger 16999 SAK (with 141 functions).

So I'd probably go with teapots or something like that. Not fancy ones, but the slightly tacky, more-than-a-little-bit quirky, novelty teapots that you pick up in funny-smelling old shops whilst holidaying in rural Britain.

• Like 1

Apart from my watches I still collect die cast models of different scales, cars, trucks, motor bikes. I have a couple of hundred pieces. Last few years I have concentrated on Hot wheels 1/64 mostly american muscle cars and some of the more obscure ones that occasionally turn up, I have in excess of 1500 pieces. I also collect Iron Maiden vinyl, I have some rare and unusual pieces. The other half does her nut every time she goes in to the loft space because you can't get moved for die cast stuff. She would get shot of the lot of it if she had her way. 

I collect musical instruments. I’ve got a few select guitars but my bigger collection (30 odd but who’s counting:whistle:) is of analogue synthesisers, both mono and polyphonic models. I went through a phase of acquiring and restoring 1970’s string machines which sort of morphed into electronic pianos. Space is a bit of an issue though...

Mine is art.

I thought I had given up buying art, but the desire never goes away. My main interest is 'St. Ives' modernists and contemporaries, which evolved after years of reading about and exploring art and now I am in Thailand, I have been enjoying seeing what is still a relatively new contemporary art scene, moving away from pictures of Buddhist imagery or the Royal family and the like. I have got to know a couple of artists here and last week visited one in his studio / gallery in Bangkok and have now bought a couple of pieces locally. Prices are crazily cheap when compared to the UK. 

Before I left the UK to move here, I bundled all I had in the car and the other half and I drove down to St. Ives for one last trip and for me to leave most of my pieces with an auction house. As the cost and insurance of taking everything with me was too much. But I kept a few pieces and then on that last trip bought two more small pieces to bring with me! I regret not keeping one of three prints by Barns-Graham that I auctioned, but too late now. 

My interest in art stems from having a very little talent I suppose. I got an A in O level art and even before then, my art teacher was enthusiastic about me going onto art college somewhere. However, fate intervened and after being called to a meeting with my house master, I was basically pushed out of school with a view I was wasting my time and theirs. I left school after that meeting with my already prepared leaving certificate and never returned. I subsequently learnt I had passed 7 O levels, two at A and the rest the next grade down. For 10 years I didn't draw anything or have any interest in art. Then in 1984, whilst travelling home on the tube, I saw a poster for an exhibition at the Tate of the Pre-Raphaelites, a group I was fascinated about when I first learnt of them in the first year of secondary school. I went to the exhibition and after that I was hooked on art again and read about and travelled far and wide to view art and so it continues. 

Here are the last five pieces I bought, the first two are by Tony Shiels from 1960, when he was heavily involved in the art community in St. Ives when it was at the height of it's international reputation. The third is by an artist called Neil Davies, who I have admired for some time. I would have loved one of his larger seascapes, but the cost of the painting and shipping, plus customs duty here, make that prohibitive. The last two are much bigger pieces bought locally here. The first is by an artist whose reputation is growing and is represented by a gallery in Norway and has also had exhibitions in Marseille and somewhere in Italy. He is regularly shown in Bangkok galleries, this piece is basically 6' x 4' and is simply titled 'Hua Hin'. The last piece is by a local guy that works out of a dingy house in Khao Takiap, just south of Hua Hin and was a present from the other half!

3HY83AVnCzcMtYFl9HIYTTDKVSxpNYqCQmnkP7pa

gCAats48tChu4ZlEH0c2Qk6V4eqHhw6Ig70m1SF2

The frame of this next one was damaged in Transit and via the artist I met here, was fixed at a local framers for 60 baht - less than £2.

icc2q4yknlkFMpRDhT26vBhOBdS0AtjHcQVgLa7A

V-SObyjCO2L2NaThz5yxuPivQphMygK2Pt5-98St

aG5E-mdlPGMpsf6QBOwuIisxcjCrSS5BPRSIe_Y0

I subsequently discovered it features on the front cover of a local travel guide:

psBU0BXmTS9n4Cv2CroGn6Sl9u0ENVOKHDMLmO3M

Part of the attraction of this last piece is how thick the paint has been applied, you cant see it, but its layer upon layer of oil. It really stands out from the surface. It makes the painting look hairy!

xh6gL4ceiOO6zX4UHF-eBVXqFR5pKmqweUeia1LC

• Like 1

Nothing. 

I have far too much stuff, including watches, and am starting to undertake a serious decluttering which includes selling a lot of watches I don't wear.

The wardrobes, drawers and watch boxes will be limited to what I wear, the CD and DVD shelves to what I watch and listen to and the bookshelves to what I read.

Some time.

Maybe.

• Haha 1

I still do have a sizeable collection of vintage toy vehicles. I recently disposed of a collection of vintage Citroen models to a collector in the States which took about two months to arrive. The guy was a real gentleman and didn't get phased in the least. A while after he received them I got big thank you and some pictures of a special display unit he'd made to house them all.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2017 at 16:24, Buuk said:

I collect musical instruments. I’ve got a few select guitars but my bigger collection (30 odd but who’s counting:whistle:) is of analogue synthesisers, both mono and polyphonic models. I went through a phase of acquiring and restoring 1970’s string machines which sort of morphed into electronic pianos. Space is a bit of an issue though...

I have an old electric piano that I bought for the wife as she was taught by her grandmother who was a teacher of piano!!, All the family plays piano on the wife's side, Here sister took and passed all the exams except one to be come a teacher but then stopped suddenly and never bothered again!! :huh:

My wife took no interest in the piano either unfortunately :( Can't remember the make for sure but I think it was a Vox..

John..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, johnbaz said:

I have an old electric piano that I bought for the wife as she was taught by her grandmother who was a teacher of piano!!, All the family plays piano on the wife's side, Here sister took and passed all the exams except one to be come a teacher but then stopped suddenly and never bothered again!! :huh:

My wife took no interest in the piano either unfortunately :( Can't remember the make for sure but I think it was a Vox..

John..

Quite possibly! Vox started an ‘Italian connection’ in the late 60’s which manufactured their iconic Continental Organ for them as well as guitars, fx pedals etc. 

Those old electronic pianos were largely based on organ technology but with some further filtering and envelope generation added. Again the technology was adapted to create the string machine so common throughout the 70’s and beyond. They all use one (or two) Top Octave Synthesizer chips which as the name suggests generates the highest 12 notes. The 12 outputs are then fed to common logic divider chips to generate the same notes but at 1, 2, 3 etc. Octaves below top. 

The home of most of this industry was Castelfidardo on the adriatic coast. It used to be the centre of the Italian accordion building industry until they were forced to diversifiy. Loads of brands and models hailed from the “keyboard coast” throughout the 70’s. Crumar, Logan, Vox, Godwin, Farfisa to name but a few. 

Edited by Buuk
  • Like 1

Multitools: SOG military issue complete with a tool to make a detonator sized hole in C4, leatherman x 3 including a crunch, a modified Rev & modified Wave (fitted with Rebar plier jaws), a Jeep adjustable spannery type thing, a Gerber cool tool (bike tool including chain tool, adjustable spanner - again - & allen keys etc), Topeak alien - brilliant bike tool that I've had for years & use often - I also have numerous other cheap no brand mini tools.

I also collect coventional tools - mainly mechanicy ones but anything's fair game really if it perks my interest & is the right price.

I've also recently developed an interest in backpacks - this started with me buying a couple of ridiculously cheap (under a fiver) but excellent quality military surplus East German packs that are waterproof, incorporate a roll top inner & which make great bike backpacks & I've also seen them turned into bicycle panniers very easily. However it's become more of a designer/style thing now, with me interested in makes such as Millican, Trakke, Mission Workshop, Bedouin Foundry & the like. The latter 2 makes are way too expensive but I like looking at them all the same (there's a good site called carryology.com if anyone else is interested)! I particularly like waxed canvas & have a very nice, & allegedly quite collectible, Italian Alpini military surplus pack that has currently been kicked into touch by a Millican Smith roll pack I bought recently & that I now use daily. It's too nice to sell & I'll go back to it when I get bored with the Millican or find it too small for what I need to carry.

Bicycles x 3 - 2 x mtb's (never get used) & a Whyte Cambridge Varsity hybrid which is fantastic & I use regularly to cycle into work (18 mile round trip).

Records - as in 12" vinyl - haven't bought/played one in ages but I've kept all the ones I bought as a spotty youth (same with cd's).

Books - you can't beat a good read :yes:

Think that's everything .......but possibly not! :swoon:

:biggrin:

Edited by pauluspaolo

1 hour ago, pauluspaolo said:

I've also recently developed an interest in backpacks

If you haven't already done so check out Frost River.

ec2ea558a27381b3505502600c4d9145.jpg

large.IMG_20170514_160513.jpg.648b46b3db18eab062e087d5f90cc382.jpg

The Russian veschmeshok is cheap and a great cycle pack.

soviet_rucksack.jpg

This actually takes a couple of seconds.

7 hours ago, WRENCH said:

If you haven't already done so check out Frost River.

ec2ea558a27381b3505502600c4d9145.jpg

large.IMG_20170514_160513.jpg.648b46b3db18eab062e087d5f90cc382.jpg

The Russian veschmeshok is cheap and a great cycle pack.

soviet_rucksack.jpg

This actually takes a couple of seconds.

Frost River are very nice indeed - bit rich for my blood but very nice all the same. The pack that started the current obsession is this one - they're cheap as chips & comfortable to use/wear. I've been caught in torrential rain - & I mean TORRENTIAL - whilst out on my bike with this bag & it didn't leak at all. It comes in 2 versions though - one with the waterproof rolltop liner & one without. If you're going to use one as a cycling pack or adapt one into a pannier I'd definitely go for the one with the rolltop liner. I sold one to a work colleague & he uses his for fishing & also as an inner pack on his motorbike panniers - it's a rectangular shape & just fits in his leather pannier nicely. There are loads of videos about them on Youtube if you're interested :)  

This is the Italian Alpini pack - hard to find now though & can be expensive. It's a fantastically well made bit of kit though one of the clasps on mine broke so I replaced both of mine with more conventional fasteners that you find on modern backpacks. I also found the original shoulder straps a bit short so replaced these with some Army rucksack straps I found on Ebay (I've kept the original straps). 

Edited by pauluspaolo

26 minutes ago, pauluspaolo said:

Frost River are very nice indeed - bit rich for my blood but very nice all the same.

I bought mine from Planet X (I don't think they do them anymore :() for well under half price.

I wouldn't say I have any sort of collection but I do like to have plenty of tools to do the job. Mine ranges from electric drills to cordless, chop saws, chain saws, plumbing gear, sparky gear, decorating gear, all sort box, hoovers, mowers, eight track machine and tapes, coins, mig welders, compressor, anvil, push bike, car stuff, soldering stuff, carpentry stuff, computer stuff and loads of other stuff. Oh yes nearly forgot, I'm on the road to watch collecting as well lol, so in answer to the post, I suppose I collect anything ( think I'm called a hoarder ).  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Say said:

I wouldn't say I have any sort of collection but I do like to have plenty of tools to do the job. Mine ranges from electric drills to cordless, chop saws, chain saws, plumbing gear, sparky gear, decorating gear, all sort box, hoovers, mowers, eight track machine and tapes, coins, mig welders, compressor, anvil, push bike, car stuff, soldering stuff, carpentry stuff, computer stuff and loads of other stuff. Oh yes nearly forgot, I'm on the road to watch collecting as well lol, so in answer to the post, I suppose I collect anything ( think I'm called a hoarder ).  :thumbsup:

I'd say that was a cvollection- And a hell of a one too!! :whistle:

HAGWE

John :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

On 01/10/2017 at 16:24, Buuk said:

Wow i bet you make some wonderful sounds in your house,big fan, had a pro 1 for a while always fancied an oberheim,still listen to an awful lot of music using this equipment.        

2 hours ago, Pete wilding said:

Wow i bet you make some wonderful sounds in your house,big fan, had a pro 1 for a while always fancied an oberheim,still listen to an awful lot of music using this equipment.        

I’ve got a minty Pro One in the vintage monosynth stable with an ARP Axxe MK2, Octave Cat SRM and a few others in varying states of repair. The closest I get to the classic Oberheim sound is a Matrix1000 module. You could always go new/nearly new and get the DSI/Tom Oberheim OB6... they sound really good. 

2 hours ago, Buuk said:

I’ve got a minty Pro One in the vintage monosynth stable with an ARP Axxe MK2, Octave Cat SRM and a few others in varying states of repair. The closest I get to the classic Oberheim sound is a Matrix1000 module. You could always go new/nearly new and get the DSI/Tom Oberheim OB6... they sound really good. 

Now you are reminding me of all sorts,PPG WAVETERM 2.2 ,,VSC 3. JUPITER 8, Wow     I listen a lot to some chaps who are soundtrack musicians, they get together regularly and produce some lovely textures,      NODE

21 hours ago, Pete wilding said:

Now you are reminding me of all sorts,PPG WAVETERM 2.2 ,,VSC 3. JUPITER 8, Wow    

I’ve got 2 Jupiter 4’s but sadly that doesn’t make a Jupiter 8...

2 hours ago, Pete wilding said:

Are they midi compatible

Nope but it’s fairly easy to mod the JP4 to have cv/gate control of each of the 4 voice cards. The Jupiter 8 didn’t have MIDI either, that came slightly later with the Jupiter 6. My last project was a Korg Polysix that had suffered the battery leak issue. The processor board was physically shot so I upgraded the the Kiwisix mod. Very happy with the results. I usually go for originality but in the case of the Polysix the damage done to the original board (and every other Polysix processor board eventually) I felt the upgrade was justified. 

With the price of the donor synth, the upgrade bought new and a new Lexan decal overlay for the front panel it stands me at less than most people ask for a tatty original needing work. 

Edited by Buuk