• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JonnyOldBoy

If you did not collect watches .... you would collect ...

I can not class my self really as a watch "collector" , being a 5-watch guy by the Autumn... but if I was like some of the more serious dudes on here... and I thought about swapping my passion for collecting something else....what would yours be !? I Used to collect Dinky Toys...  but no longer... I think it would be vintage Oboes..... anyone else got a latent collecting passion that watches are surprising ?

Do collect old maps, but the walls are full, Imperial Silver  coins and others of interest, but nobody near me deals in coins anymore and British silver coins have been collected or melted down and are stupid prices for poor coins.

• Like 1

I have recently started collecting Diecast cars I am trying to limit myself to those made by Oxford 1:76 I have collected 12 so far but I can see it growing slowly I just need to think of a way of displaying them ,, here are a few 

7C316874-368E-4210-B760-88E87688B0E0_zps

458AED4D-4CF8-45D2-AB08-D98A4702F8D7_zps

326B3004-B197-4B7C-89C6-A408D6B9DCFC_zps

• Like 5

In the early point of my self employment I was a TV engineer and rented sets out so that could be regarded as a collection.

So having said that it would be collecting Vintage Televisions.

My Era.

So from this.

Image result for vintage ferguson tv

To this.

First introduced in 1985 the ITT Digivision was a entirely new concept for TV signal processing. A whole family of chips was developed which took care of all the video processing requirements including the PAL decoder, Teletext and even more advanced features such as picture in picture (PIP).

Lots of engineers hated these but myself and a senior work colleague had no problems looking after these and I owned one myself.

Fanatastic picture quality.

Image result for itt digivision

Edited by PC-Magician
  • Like 3

More hats. I'm already into 100's. A bespoke Homburg from Lock & Co would be first in the list.

homburg-07.21.jpg

• Like 2

My other passion is espresso, I love the intricacies of getting the grind, temperature and pressure spot on to make the perfect espresso 93516d396dd63f818b02a4e04bacdd7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, owain1 said:

My other passion is espresso, I love the intricacies of getting the grind, temperature and pressure spot on to make the perfect espresso 93516d396dd63f818b02a4e04bacdd7b.jpg

me too... I had machines from Italy.... until.... I discovered the Lavazza £65 pod machine that makes perfect restuarant espresso....  every time .... Its annoying and it destroyed my obsession with Rancilio , etc etc

• Like 3

me too... I had machines from Italy.... until.... I discovered the Lavazza £65 pod machine that makes perfect restuarant espresso....  every time .... Its annoying and it destroyed my obsession with Rancilio , etc etc

I've got a Rancilio Silvia, and a pre millennium Europiccola that I refurbished, My La Pavoni professional is pictured, I'm afraid I'm not a Lavazza fan much prefer single origin arabica African roasts the fruits that you get in the cup especially when paired with the La Pavoni are astounding

• Like 1

I collect a host of things...

I started with coins, which no longer really interest me with the exception of 2000+ year old Greek silver... Banknotes (English and American) and a new one on me whistles (started off buying first world war trench whistles...ended up buying antique silver ones)

Basically anything small stands a chance with me... I could get into collecting chess sets if I had space but I made myself the Rolls Royce of one from silver and recently picked one up that fits in a metch box.

A video showing my chess set...

And this tiny one.

20170528_220653

• Like 6

Tools have always been a passion, this in my garage 1.8 metres high in stainless steel, ball bearing runners on the drawers and full to the gunnels with mechanic tools. There are woodworking tools galore in my other garage along with woodworking machinery of various types. I suppose I would refine my collection of mechanics tools but then may be just get more.

ACvSYWF.jpg

• Like 1

I've collected many things and tend to go in waves between the first few and watches.

Flashlights (aka torches, as you lot call them)

Guns

Knives

Cigarette & cigar lighters

Sunglasses

2 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

I started with coins, which no longer really interest me with the exception of 2000+ year old Greek silver... Banknotes (English and American) and a new one on me whistles (started off buying first world war trench whistles...ended up buying antique silver ones)

Basically anything small stands a chance with me... I could get into collecting chess sets if I had space but I made myself the Rolls Royce of one from silver and recently picked one up that fits in a metch box.

And this tiny one.

20170528_220653

It's cool, but what's the point if your fingers are too fat to make moves? Do you use tweezers? Maybe chopsticks?

For me it's torches. I both collect them and make them from from bits of old copper pipe and plumbing fittings. Don't ask me why. :rolleyes:

ea6az1E.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

More Fountain pens mostly chineses but not all

LanDSCF5236

Kev

• Like 3

[/url] And this tiny one.
35212222766_dd4d4bde6d_b.jpg

Impressive, looks lovely

• Like 1

Replica movie swords... no idea why. In fact I think movie props in general, if I had more time(money) I would focus on this a bit more.

Just started to collect these coins no real value but cheap I get mine from wish come from China.something else for the man draw to go with pens, model cars, and other crap that she says what do you need that for.

_20170624_175029_zpslq4ify5h.jpg

_20170624_174954_zpsjrazh1om.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/12/2017 at 09:48, scottswatches said:

If it wasn't for watches I would have collected a lot of money

Should that read: Its because of watches I've collected a lot of money :laugh:

• Like 2

I guess my other obsessions.... i mean hobbies would of been classic motorbikes and vinyl records!!! However, records are starting to become nearly as expensive as the watches, require a new stylus and its set me back £30!

I've only just started on the watches, I'm not sure I would collect anything else now. I've had a few small collections over the years, lledo cars, pocket knives and thanks to this forum a few fountain pens! The thing I like about the watches is they are actually useable, not just something to sit on a shelf and look at and I take great joy from wearing them.

Love the chess set daveyboyz 

On 12/06/2017 at 06:43, niveketak said:

Tools have always been a passion, this in my garage 1.8 metres high in stainless steel, ball bearing runners on the drawers and full to the gunnels with mechanic tools. There are woodworking tools galore in my other garage along with woodworking machinery of various types. I suppose I would refine my collection of mechanics tools but then may be just get more.

ACvSYWF.jpg

These with hardwood tops make excellent kitchen units.:yes:

As I`ve mentioned before I used to collect old cameras, as you can see I still have them but haven`t bought any since I switched to watches...

image.thumb.png.ff2428808d023df4ed0275cf13179d42.png

I used to have an interest in motorcycles & for many years was researching the history of the Russian & East European  motorcycle industries, obtaining a mass of factory documents  including full sized blue prints from a guy who worked for Jawa.  I then forwarded copies of all the stuff to a guy called Maurice Kelly who was intending to write a book on the subject, we did have a few articles on the subject published in one of the UK based Motorcycle magazines (unfortunately I`ve forgotten which one).  I lost contact with my  Czech friend during the fall of Communism & soon afterwards lost contact with Maurice, mind you that was when I was going through my divorce and things got a bit messy so life was rather challenging &  all hobbies were very much put on the back burner.

• Like 2

Nice collection of cameras, some day I hope my shelves like that are full of watches.

I did actually have shelves like that which I converted to snake tanks when I had a collection of corn snakes, had to move them on when change of job meant not enough time to spend on them.