• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
JonnyOldBoy

Ernest Jones heads up.....

So My lad and I went to Ernest Jones today to talk to the store manager about watches ( the staff are frankly useless , they know little to nothing about watches in that particular branch ) .... any how , my lad tried on a Tissot Visodate and said he would probably buy it in the coming days ... The manager was just happy to chat to us about Swatch group and how in his opinion The Visodate was one of the best watches available in his store sub £500. etc etc and how he would not buy 50% of TAG Heuers as they are a complete waste of money but does own a few TAGs that are superb and not a waste of money ( he did go on a bit was a top guy and was very knowledgeable and was wearing a top of the range Seamaster Planet Ocean..... Any way , on the drive home my lad said he wanted the Tissot and could we turn around.. I said lets look online because there is always a 10% code online for Ernest Jones.. There was , we bought for £355 ,,, and with the email confirming the order we got a £100 off voucher for Ernest Jones online for £300 or more spending.... on ANYTHING brandwise other than TAG brands and higher...  So obviously I will now buy a watch ( it would be rude not to ) for sub £400 for a £100 off and will split the discount with my lad.... so the heads up is for possible canny buying for others .... e.g. if you want a couple of £300ish watches , then after the first with 10% off , the second is a nice £100 off..... This is online only and maybe good for Tissot or Citizen buyers ... Do we know any one like that !?!? :whistle:

• Like 2

Nice to know .  They usually do ten percent for the asking, managers discretion :thumbsup:

Edited by RWP
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, RWP said:

Nice to know .  They usually do ten percent for the asking, managers discretion :thumbsup:

How would you know? You buy everything from Amazon.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

How would you know? You buy everything from Amazon.

No Saliva you unpleasant little man, all my Tissots come from Ernest Jones.  You can return to your pit of self pity now.

Edited by RWP
  • Like 1

And you seriously believed him ??

He's a salesman

He was trying to sell you a watch, got a sniff of a bit of commission from a punter but just one that he quickly sussed out was on a budget that no matter how much he bigged up TH you were just out of that price bracket.

Sound like The Boy was good at his job.

Out is it just me being an old cynic

:laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

And you seriously believed him ??

He's a salesman

He was trying to sell you a watch, got a sniff of a bit of commission from a punter but just one that he quickly sussed out was on a budget that no matter how much he bigged up TH you were just out of that price bracket.

Sound like The Boy was good at his job.

Out is it just me being an old cynic

LOL ... I seriously doubt it...My lad took off his Colt Chrono in front of him to try on the Tissot , the manager could not have given a monkeys about a sale.... he was more pleased to be able to chat to "watch guys" as he put it...

1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

the manager could not have given a monkeys 

My point exactly

I love Ernest Jones. Every time I pass my local one and I've got something decent on my wrist, I always ask the manager what the current price is. Once they've told me, I say "good, if your staff weren't so cr@p, I'd have bought it here". How exceptionally immature of me, but so self satisfying at the same time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I love Ernest Jones. Every time I pass my local one and I've got something decent on my wrist, I always ask the manager what the current price is. Once they've told me, I say "good, if your staff weren't so cr@p, I'd have bought it here". How exceptionally immature of me, but so self satisfying at the same time.

the level of knowledge amongst their staff is staggeringly low... its disappointing.... The manager was genuinely relieved to talk to someone who understood the basics...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

the level of knowledge amongst their staff is staggeringly low... its disappointing.... The manager was genuinely relieved to talk to someone who understood the basics...

Lot of young girls in my local Ernest Jones, helpful but not up to scratch on watches.....they seem to cluster behind the jewellery counter.

8 minutes ago, RWP said:

Lot of young girls in my local Ernest Jones, helpful but not up to scratch on watches.....they seem to cluster behind the jewellery counter.

what was really poor.... was that they did not realise that if a watch was not moving... it was either an Auto.... or.... the battery was dead. That left me feeling upset really.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Poor staff training, so the management are as much to blame for not identifying this. I enquired about a Seiko solar alarm chrono. Asked to see how the how the alarm  operated and was told it was a solar watch and the alarm didn't work indoors. Just one of many.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

what was really poor.... was that they did not realise that if a watch was not moving... it was either an Auto.... or.... the battery was dead. That left me feeling upset really.

Or an unwound manual wind? Usually it will tell you on the dial if it's auto or battery.

4 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

Or an unwound manual wind? Usually it will tell you on the dial if it's auto or battery.

this is not a big end Ernest Jones... no Moon watches....:swoon:

28 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

this is not a big end Ernest Jones... no Moon watches....:swoon:

Something wrong with your spell checker. There has been a "not" inserted and "bell" has been changed to "big". :laughing2dw:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TockTick said:

£300, my entire collection barely cost that :huh:

Me and my lad only have 8 watches between us.....