• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
mach 0.0013137

It could have been very bad...

After coming back from the shops yesterday I was slowly turning  the car (a 51 reg Daewoo Matiz 800) round at the end of the cul-de-sac  where I live when there was a sudden noise and the front off-side of the car went down onto the road. When I got out I  found the wheel at an angle with the drive shaft hanging out & drive fluid pouring over the road. I`m haven`t a clue what happened but am very glad I wasn`t driving on the main road or worse on my way to the nearest town which includes a mile long drive down a steep & winding  road high up  the side of a glen with a rather long drop swoon.gif.7e434ed2f91d167c42840b14f9ceb751.gif

You dodged a bullet there Mach. Would sound like un uneconomic repair to me.

Sounds like just the bottom ball joint broken. New ball joint or lower arm, pop the shaft back in the gearbox, top up with oil, job done. Has to b e very worn to do that - very surprised that something this bad was not picked up on either the last MOT or service. Was it notified as an 'advisory' on the MOT? When were the last MOT and services done?

Edited by Steve D UK
  • Like 1

Thanks Nick :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Steve D UK said:

Sounds like just the bottom ball joint broken. New ball joint or lower arm, pop the shaft back in the gearbox, top up with oil, job done. Very surprised that something this bad was not picked up on either the last MOT or service. When were both of them done?

I hope you`re right,Steve,I rather like the Matiz & was hoping not to have to replace it any time soon.The service/ Mot was done last July but nothing was flagged up as being a potential problem.

Exactly the same happened to me back in the dark ages, I was in an Austin Allegro and the ball joint had broken, taking the CV joint with it.  Oddly enough my incident was similar, I was doing a slow turn manoeuvre.

• Like 1

You'll be fine in a month or so Mach - - sharp intake of breath at McGillicuddy's Speedyfix Highland Garage - - two weeks to order parts, three weeks to come from Inverness, following the two weeks to get to Oban first, then it's a week to order/get a Haynes Manual on t'internet and let's say maybe McGillicuddy's Laddie will fit it in a week or so after he's looked up the Haynes Manual. :yes:

Ochone, Ochone, that's the wey it is Man!

Main thing is your safe the car can be sorted, I would have the other side checked over as well to be on the safe side.:thumbsup:

Full lock, cheapskate motor.

How long did you think it would be before it tried to kill you.

:laugh: :laugh:

8 hours ago, Biker said:

Exactly the same happened to me back in the dark ages, I was in an Austin Allegro and the ball joint had broken, taking the CV joint with it.  Oddly enough my incident was similar, I was doing a slow turn manoeuvre.

Coincidently I had a similar close call back in the day in my mates Allegro.

Your name isn't Gordon and  used to live in Bathgate by any chance.

:huh:

:laugh: :laugh:

Common in the old Morris 1000, always happened at low speed on full lock. Frighting thing is that the "fast?" Marina 

922ffd9ecffebc4230caa757cfd5148a.jpg

and the plastic pig were guilty of the same failure.

1969_reliant_scimitar_se5_overdrive_30_sb.jpg

because of the antiquated lower trunion. Even more frighting when a properly set up pig would do 120+.

$_1.JPG

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 1

Well the car can be fixed...just glad that you're safe ol' pal.....for a minute there, I thought my source of comedy pics was going to dry up...

:laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

Scary, painful, but glad you're okay and it's only the car (and your pride) damaged.

On 2017-5-19 at 19:43, BondandBigM said:

Full lock, cheapskate motor.

How long did you think it would be before it tried to kill you.

It`s 16 years old & took me back & forth to Leicester a number of times before we finally moved back up here. This is the first time it`s had any real problem (  not that it`s had many even minor ones over the years) which, btw, I`ve been informed today by the garage has been sorted.  Personally, I think it`s done rather well especially considering how little it cost when I bought it new  :tongue:

• Like 1