• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
xellos99

ETA 2893-2 GMT

12 posts in this topic

Have an ETA 2893-2. The GMT hand runs very slow and I would rather keep the watch than have to sell it cheap.

And I don't use GMT really so don't want to pay to get it seen.

However if anyone knows something I can try then let me know.

The person who sold it to me said it was working when he sent it ( and he is honest I believe )

So it either happened in the post or when I first set the watch. Either way not impressed.

4 hours ago, xellos99 said:

Have an ETA 2893-2. The GMT hand runs very slow and I would rather keep the watch than have to sell it cheap.

And I don't use GMT really so don't want to pay to get it seen.

However if anyone knows something I can try then let me know.

The person who sold it to me said it was working when he sent it ( and he is honest I believe )

So it either happened in the post or when I first set the watch. Either way not impressed.

I don't wish to sound patronising here , but when you say slow do you mean one revolution in 24 hrs , if so this is normal .

Sorry once again if it is moving slower than that , if so i can't help i'm afraid 

7 minutes ago, andyclient said:

I don't wish to sound patronising here , but when you say slow do you mean one revolution in 24 hrs , if so this is normal .

Sorry once again if it is moving slower than that , if so i can't help i'm afraid 

You wouldn't be the first to make that mistake.

12 minutes ago, andyclient said:

LOL, slow as in it does not cover an hour in an hour. Less, so it is running too slow

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, xellos99 said:

LOL, slow as in it does not cover an hour in an hour. Less, so it is running too slow

It will take 2 hrs for the GMT hand to cover 1 hour 24 hrs to complete 1 full revolution 

http://www.larrybiggs.net/mirror/gmt/gmt24.htm

Edited by andyclient

34 minutes ago, andyclient said:

It will take 2 hrs for the GMT hand to cover 1 hour 24 hrs to complete 1 full revolution 

http://www.larrybiggs.net/mirror/gmt/gmt24.htm

I`m so stupid. You right. Thank you so much, my watch works yippe.

2 people like this

I`m so stupid. You right. Thank you so much, my watch works yippe.

Google is your friend. Manuals for 2693 movements are all over. I bought a Steinhart Ocean 1 GMT off an eBay seller a few years ago, couldn't set teh 24h hand independently, he diagnosed me with cranio-rectal inversion, I sent him 10 different manuals all explaining how to do it.

What watch do you have? I would suggest you advance it more than four hours past the midnight point (when the date window ticks over to a new day numeral), then set it at 10 am. Now push teh crown in, pull the crown out to THE FIRST STOP, set the date by turning teh crown one way, then set the 24h hand to the 5 pm marker turning the other way. Now pull the crown out the SECOND STOP, and set the time normally. Now your 24h hand shows local time on a 24h scale (3 o'clock equals 0600, 6 equals 1200, 9 equals 2100, 12 equals 2400/0001).

This is how the original GMT-master operated. A bezel indicated an alternate time zone. Worked fine for Pussy Galore.

CIviDvel.jpg

Later models, including teh 2693, let you set the 24h to a different time zone. For me in North Carolina, my 24h is set 4 hrs ahead to show UDT (we're GMT -4). Rotating the bezel lets me track a third time zone, e.g. when my lady friend was in Prague (GMT +1). ;)

1 person likes this

The 2893 acts differently to the GMT Master and Explorer-II.

The 2893 uses the office GMT system in that the 24 hand jumps, the Rolex version is travel GMT in that the hour hand jumps. On the original Rolex versions, the 24 hour hand was slaved to the hour hand and not independently adjustable, since the mid 1990s they are.

1 person likes this

vintage_ref6542_instr_manual.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

vintage_ref6542_instr_manual.jpg

I am not disputing how the original Rolex GMT movement worked, I get that the GMT hand was slaved to the hour hand. I think you may be missing my point (or perhaps I am missing yours) which is that the current Rolex GMT movement has an independent jumping hour hand, the 2893 being discussed here has an independent jumping GMT hand. They operate very differently to the original GMT Master and differently to each other.

Edited by Padders
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Padders said:

I am not disputing how the original Rolex GMT movement worked, I get that the GMT hand was slaved to the hour hand. I think you may be missing my point (or perhaps I am missing yours) which is that the current Rolex GMT movement has an independent jumping hour hand, the 2893 being discussed here has an independent jumping GMT hand. They operate very differently to the original GMT Master and differently to each other.

I wasn't responding to your post at all. You "snuck" in a reply while i was looking for the old Rolex instruction. I used the image to indicate how one READS the 24h hand on a conventional dial, since OP didn't even seem to know that that hand indicates hours on a 24 hour scale around the dial.  My own post talks about how you can adjust it.

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

I wasn't responding to your post at all. You "snuck" in a reply while i was looking for the old Rolex instruction. I used the image to indicate how one READS the 24h hand on a conventional dial, since OP didn't even seem to know that that hand indicates hours on a 24 hour scale around the dial.  My own post talks about how you can adjust it.

Fair enough. 

1 person likes this