• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
FarmerPalmer

Timefactors watch repair recommendations

We bought 2 Timefactors watches last year, 1 each for our silver wedding anniversary, an Everest for myself and a Radio Room for my wife. Less than 12 months later and both had failed.

Rather than return them I decided to take it to a local family jeweller, who has a watchmaker, who serviced my Longines for me last year.
I got a quote for £300 to fix the Everest and £275 to fix the Radio Room. Shocked to say the least, as the watches only cost £245 each.
The watchmaker has suggested that they are made of a bin of parts that should not be used together and the quote is to fully refurbish them.
I was under the impression, from forum discussions, that the watches were fairly well made, and was quite taken aback.

Has anyone got any experience of a watchmaker who has worked on these watches, and that they would recommend ?
    ... (as obviously I have now invalidated the warranty anyway by getting a watchmaker to look at them)

Has anyone seen inside these watches and what is their opinion ?

Should I get them fixed ?

or should I 

Sell them on ebay as not working ?

Take them in the garage and just hit them repeatedly with a hammer to make myself feel better ?

and buy something else instead

The Smiths radio room watch uses an old ETA movement that I think was used in a few old Swatch automatics a few years back, its a non hack movement probably little used these days.  The Everest I believe uses a Miyota Citizen movement that's found in many micro brand watches amongst the most well known (Though hardly a micro brand) Laco.  Perhaps your watchmaker was unfamiliar with the movements so made those comments rather than simply say "I have never worked on a Miyota or one of these older ETA movements before so I wouldn't know where to start"  Longines use much more common ETA movements which may explain why he would find it easier to work with them.  I don't now what he means by "Bin parts" Is he talking about the movement, the case, the dial, the hands?

As they both failed I am not sure why you didn't just send them back (Is the warranty one year or two with Timefactors?)  I don't know what has happened to the watches but might it be worth contacting Timefactors and explaining what has happened to them and see what they say?  If you say both have failed (Presumably you mean they have stopped working?) Perhaps they can still help, offer an explanation?

Timefactors watches were previously made by Zeno and then Roland Kemmner both repair and service their own watches Zeno I believe used to service Timefactors watches they made and there is a Zeno equivalent of the Everest so presumably they made that one perhaps they can help.  Kemmner sells on ebay his own watches you could try contacting him to see if he can help.

Duncan Hewett (The Watch Bloke) Works on a lot of Japanese movements and I have found does an excellent job on old watches he has an online site he is another excellent option.

The cost of the service seems to me excessive but then I don't know what the fault is with the watch.

Its up to you if you want to get them fixed but a service usually costs around the £100 mark.

• Like 1

Like you say, they are standard movements, from Miyota in the case of the Everest, and ETA in the case of Radio Room, which is why I don't understand the watchmakers comments.

They suggested that the parts in the watch were not designed to work together, and they both needed a complete rebuild.

This is why I am looking for potentially, another watchmaker, who may better understand these watches.

By not working, the Everest will start, and will stop in 6 mins, 20 mins, or 2 hours from when it last started, and then just stop, but may start up again later.  The Radio Room just will not start, not from winding or gentle tapping with a finger.

The thing is I really like the look of the watches, and would prefer to get them serviced for a reasonable amount, if it would make them operational again, although I am concerned as to why they both failed in less than 12 months.  Neither has been abused or knocked.  The Radio Room has hardly been worn by my wife, she has only put it on to go out.  The Everest was worn by me daily for every 1 week in 3, rotating weekly with my Longines and Christopher Ward, and taken off if I was doing anything which might have got it knocked or shocked.

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to contact Eddie direct and see what he says. If you follow the gestation period of any of Eddie's watches you will know that he doesn't rush things, so incompatible parts seems a bit far fetched. You implied, but didn't say whether you bought them new from Timefactors or second hand. If it's the former and under twelve months since purchase, I'm sure Eddie would want to give them the once over.

I would get a second opinion at the very least and would recommend having a word with Timefactors , I think your watchmaker is spinning you a yarn personally :angry:

With all due respect I'm at a loss with why you did not contact Eddie in the first instance. You had a 2yr warranty on both watches, which may well be null and void now. Hmm could be an expensive lesson learned methinks if Eddie decides you broke his warranty terms by letting someone else open them up and poke around. Time will tell but as suggested get in touch with Eddie.

Good luck.

I would find a new watchmaker as yours seems to be talking rubbish. Did he actually say what he thought was wrong with them? As for his costs … utterly ridiculous for what should be a simple movement service, about £120 tops per watch.

As he's meddled with them I doubt you'll now get much joy from Eddie at TimeFactors, but as others have said, why didn't you just contact him in the first instance? I'm pretty sure all TF watches are a two-year warranty.

It does seem weird that both failed within 12 months though. Not unheard of, but certainly strange :hmmm9uh:

16 hours ago, FarmerPalmer said:

We bought 2 Timefactors watches last year, 1 each for our silver wedding anniversary, an Everest for myself and a Radio Room for my wife. Less than 12 months later and both had failed.

Rather than return them I decided to take it to a local family jeweller, 

As others have said on here, why didn't you just return them to Timefactors to get sorted out...?

I figured it might be quicker and less hassle to use a local jeweller rather than ship back to Sheffield and then on to Germany.  

I had also read some posts on other forums with respect to hassle with warranty returns, and figured I would rather pay than have the hassle.

And Yes they were both bought new by me, direct from Eddie.

It's possible that your watchmaker may be suggesting that the wrong parts have been used to make the watch (like using the wrong hands for the movement) and that's why it would need a refurbished job on them which would cost you.  Now I have heard of problems with the Everest crystal (though strangely not the Zeno version) but I have never heard of anything concerning wrong parts being used on any Timefactors watch and considering how long they have been going I think something would have come up by now.

Regarding your radio room watch its now out of stock and there are quite a few classified ads looking for one so I don't think you would have a problem selling it "broken" or not as I suspect a quick service at about £100 would solve the problem.

One other thing to consider is how long they have been in storage, especially the radio room one which was not a fast seller.  Could it simply be the oils have gummed up a bit and it just needs a clean?  I had a similar problem and a watch service later and its working a treat.

I currently own a Smiths Everest  and had to replace the crystal which had some damage an easy fix but it did require me to remove the movement.

What I discovered was a well built Watch with no design issues apart from in my opinion the crystal should have a tension ring just my opinion of course, movement fits the case perfectly as does the crown and case back.

I suggest you have another opinion any decent watchmaker should have no problem with these at all, the Miyota 9015 movement is an excellent mechanism (You've been unlucky)

I also had a Radio Room again no problem with these and wish I hadn't sold it.:bash:.

By the way replacement movements for the Everest are £88.62p inc post so say £35 labour to swap with a friendly watchmaker total £123.62.

Edited by PC-Magician
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, FarmerPalmer said:

can anyone recommend a watchmaker with experience of these watches, for a repair / service ?

Any decent watch repairer can handle these.

Once your post count is up send me a PM and I will happily give you details of two people who can possibly help.

You can also try

https://thewatchbloke.co.uk/

Also try

http://www.woodlandtechnical.co.uk/

Out of the two Greg at woodland will be the cheaper and just as good I have used him many times and will again, he doesn't like to be beaten by a Watch.

He has a strange website but don't let that put you off he does excellent work.

Edited by PC-Magician
  • Like 1

Contrary to the comments posted by other members I do not recommend sending the watches back to Eddie at Timefactors. I too have bought new watches for my wife and I from Timefactors, and one of them failed a little outside the guarantee period. I contacted Eddie and he replied stating that he does not repair watches. I am not intimating that Eddie is a bad person, I am simply stating my experience of a Timefactors failure outside warranty

The servicing prices are completely over the top!!

You should be looking around £75 a service for each watch, that is what i would charge........  Unless he has major overheads like a shop to run and shop assistants to pay etc........

Don't message me as still in the throws of moving house!! If your still stuck in 6 months time......

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 18:58, PC-Magician said:

Any decent watch repairer can handle these.

Once your post count is up send me a PM and I will happily give you details of two people who can possibly help.

You can also try

https://thewatchbloke.co.uk/

Also try

http://www.woodlandtechnical.co.uk/

Out of the two Greg at woodland will be the cheaper and just as good I have used him many times and will again, he doesn't like to be beaten by a Watch.

He has a strange website but don't let that put you off he does excellent work.

Had a read of Greg's website yesterday, strange would be an understatement (very funny though) not much on watchmaking though is he actually serious?

6 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Had a read of Greg's website yesterday, strange would be an understatement (very funny though) not much on watchmaking though is he actually serious?

Repaired Watches for me that defeated others and even made some parts.

He is seriously good at what he does.

15 hours ago, KJH666 said:

To Falmer Palmer:

I have been after a Smiths Radio Room watch for ages, if you want to move it on list it on e-bay with a buy it now price and I will buy it immediately. I cannot PM you and you cannot respond, but if you log in to TZ-UK and register you would be able to send me a PM: Wallasey Runner. I am serious - Ken.

Thanks.  I am currently in the process of trying to get it repaired.  I would prefer not to let it go if I can get it fixed.

On 02/06/2017 at 19:15, KJH666 said:

Comment removed, KJ666 please wait until you are able to use the Forum`s Personal Messaging System  before attempting to buy items from members of the forum. Please note that speed posting in an atempt to reach 50 posts is frowned upon on this forum.

Mach 0.0013137

I did find an Astral (trading name of Smiths) Radio Room Clock with a Junghans Quartz movement that was over 30 years old, that is in virtually mint condition - just need the watch now...

Thanks, but not sure my wife would want to part with it.

That is a very nice clock.

16 hours ago, FarmerPalmer said:

Thanks, but not sure my wife would want to part with it.

That is a very nice clock.

Keep us posted.

1 hour ago, PC-Magician said:

Keep us posted.

Greg received them on Monday 22nd May.  He emailed me back yesterday (Friday 2nd June) so say that they are on his bench at the moment. 

It sounds like he hasn't had a chance to look at them yet.  I think he is quite busy.

39 minutes ago, FarmerPalmer said:

Greg received them on Monday 22nd May.  He emailed me back yesterday (Friday 2nd June) so say that they are on his bench at the moment. 

It sounds like he hasn't had a chance to look at them yet.  I think he is quite busy.

He is very busy and has another eight of mine to do.