• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

dobra    640
hughlle    4,143

Lots to like about it, but a whole lot I don't like about it (lugs, dial, size, price)

Mart    369

Nice idea, chess inspired watch, but not for me. The chess piece markets look big for the dial, and the crown is rather large 

Davey P    5,714

Not for me either I'm afraid :(  

Looks like a great watch, but the chess pieces on the dial make it look like a 10 quid chinese knock-off, so it might be best worn with the display back facing outwards :laugh:

hughlle    4,143
5 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Looks like a great watch, but the chess pieces on the dial make it look like a 10 quid chinese knock-off, so it might be best worn with the display back facing outwards :laugh:

Ha! When I first saw the it I thought Indian redial :laugh:

WRENCH    8,811

Maybe @Roy could help here. Are we looking at a generic case ?

RGM-Chess-in-Enamel-American-Made-Watch-2-768x512.jpg

thumb_DSC_7074.jpg

rlt30.jpg

I know which would be my preference. :yes:

Davey P    5,714

I had to laugh at the story of the original watch, and in particular this comment: "Not much is known about what happened to the pocket watch given to Morphy and only the original dial survived"

Er, I'm going to have a wild guess and say, he ditched that hideous chess themed dial and fitted something decent instead... :laugh:

mach 0.0013137    10,543
1 hour ago, Davey P said:

I have to agree with the Right Honourable Member from Huntington  :yes:

Chromejob    830
American produced watches seem to be rare beasts. I am rather impressed with this model How about you ?

mike

Well that article would have you believe that no one in American makes watches anymore. And that's total bull****. apparently to promote exclusivity of this guy's fare. :(

US$13900 for that watch?!? WTF??

Reference to "Shinola-gate." I see these watches at Costco, are they supposed to be good? Or just "Made in the USA?"

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/2016/06/17/shinola-detroit-ftc-america-marketing-change/86059790/

WRENCH    8,811
1 hour ago, Chromejob said:

Reference to "Shinola-gate." I see these watches at Costco, are they supposed to be good? Or just "Made in the USA?"

At least with Shinola the Dollar to Bullsh!t ratio is almost acceptable.:laughing2dw:

dobra    640

Promise I won't dig out any more USA made watches - sob sob.

mike

dobra    640

On the other hand, let's see some American and Canadian time keeping instruments of joy. Anyone ?

mike

WRENCH    8,811
33 minutes ago, dobra said:

On the other hand, let's see some American and Canadian time keeping instruments of joy. Anyone ?

mike

Well this says Canada on it ?

large.20170322_102115_kindlephoto-1800053.jpg.4a63cf526eea668554d1dd5bd92e4a88.jpg

2 hours ago, dobra said:

Promise I won't dig out any more USA made watches - sob sob.

mike

Please do, the detective work is enthralling and most enjoyable on an otherwise dull Friday morning. Took my mind off waiting for a doctor's call.:thumbsup:

Daveyboyz    2,387

Paul Morphy had some great games he is just behind Capablanca on my favourite chess players list... but that watch?  No thanks thats a blunder.

owain1    279

lol that's awful, why would you print on the sub dial, and the screws in the lugs, no finesse at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hughlle    4,143
13 minutes ago, owain1 said:

lol that's awful, why would you print on the sub dial, and the screws in the lugs, no finesse at all

I love the screws on the lugs, in the same way I love the drilled lugs and screw-pins on older rolex models. 

WRENCH    8,811
34 minutes ago, owain1 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I suspect the case is bought in. I may be completely wrong, but I seem to remember similar/identical  cases for sale on the Web a few years ago.