• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andy1978

Hello from London

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have to confess that I'm a complete newbie to the watch world (other than a Tag Heuer Link that I've worn daily for years).

I'm here to learn as much as possible as I'd like to invest in a watch or two in the future. Last week I picked up a book called The Watch by Gene Stone which sparked my interest (+ I've always collected guitars and have found it far more satisfying than having cash rotting away in a savings account!)

I'm sure that I'll have all of the typical newbie questions (and pledge that I'll use the search function before asking :) )

Andy

From one newbie to another: welcome. Seems like we've arrived at a friendly place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I like watches and guitars and I live in London too ^^

Don't say you want to "invest in" watches around here since most people will tell you its a good way to lose money :P   (It is possible not to, but don't tell them that!)

Welcome ^^ enjoy your stay.

6 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

Well I like watches and guitars and I live in London too ^^

Don't say you want to "invest in" watches around here since most people will tell you its a good way to lose money :P   (It is possible not to, but don't tell them that!)

Welcome ^^ enjoy your stay.

Thanks Dave - yes 'invest' was maybe a poor choice of word when what I meant was invest my time and money in finding some watches that I really like (which hopefully will hold their value but maybe not!). I've always been fairly lucky like that with basses - I've generally been drawn to vintage Fender & Wal which are beautiful and have always held their value. That's a nice looking Strat :) 

8 hours ago, 44whitehall said:

From one newbie to another: welcome. Seems like we've arrived at a friendly place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks 44Whitehall - yes, absolutely. Welcome to you too

1 person likes this

Yeah well I think it is possible to buy watches that will keep their value or grow over the long term.   The best advice for this it to buy pre-owned, stick to blue chip brands and iconic models and buy a few great watches rather than very many less expensive ones.  

You can't go wrong with Fender Jazzmasters and the like, I have a Tobias that I really like but I have no idea whether its worth anything.   I any case its mint and a nice instrument to play. 

Tobias make an excellent bass - not so common over here but admired and used by those in the know :) 

I haven't worked out how to post photos yet but I have a nice 59 Fender Precision and an immaculate 65 Fender Jazz to show off (at the risk of turning this into a guitar forum!)

Thanks for the advice on the watches - from the reading I've done so far I was thinking of looking at Jaeger LeCoultre and Patek Phillipe (& maybe Omega and Rolex) but I have a huge amount to learn wit reagards to models, value, condition and reputable dealers (I'm very wary that my novice naivety may mean that I'm very vulnerable to being conned!)

So, on with the journey of discovery?

Using a third party site like imgur or Flickr to host the picture you just post the links here... the reason I posted those videos was to save me uploading photos, youtube addresses simply cut and paste.  

JLC and Patek are obviously brilliant, as is Omega and Rolex.   I have my eye on a JLC master calendar but a manual wind Reverso is arguably the one to go for.

Maybe when you have more idea what you want I could introduce you to a watch trader who is trustworthy in central London. 

Aah! - I'll have to get to grips with flickr (I've never really had a need for it before.

Yes, I've noticed the Reverso  -  they do look very nice - I'll have to investigate prices.

Thank you - that would be awesome - to have somebody trustworthy would be invaluable!  I think to get started  I'll have to stroll down burlington arcade and see what catches my eye and then really start to research those makes/models