• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Damo516

Manual wind - Sekonda 2609 reassembly no worky

Damo516    2,466

Looking for some expert advice please.... not life and death but more for my self learning process please

Recently stripped an old Sekonda 2609 (I think) that I thought would help with my tinkering. It did run for a few minutes before I took it to bits and I mean a few minutes lol.

All cleaned up and putting it back together. I've got as far as putting the balance wheel back on but I'm not getting any signs of life. If I take it back to before the pallet forks are inserted and give the mainspring a very gently nudge then all wheels turn, including the escapemental wheel.

Fast forward to pallet fork & plate on, balance wheel on and nothing. 

Trying to problem solve it myself - Mainspring is holding charge as it tightens and I can release the charge through the click spring? As per 3rd paragraph all seems to be working prior to pallet forks...

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions please?

20170418_221843

jnash    9

Are you sure you have put the balance in corrrectly i.e. jewel I'm between the pallet?

Also if you take out the balance wheel, does the pallet flip side to side when moved gently ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

andyclient    901

+1 for what John has just said , if the gear train is moving ok with the pallet and balance removed , then either the pallet isn't fitted correctly or the balance not engaging with the pallet fork.

With the  pallet fitted check it moves freely when a few winds are put on the mainspring the pallet should go from side to side with a gently touch (as john says) I use a bit of peg wood to check this.

Then with the pallet up against the banking pins lets say he left hand one for example , offer up the balance impulse jewel to the left of the pallet fork and it should then engage. if you put it to the right the watch won't run (unless the pallet fork is placed to the right ) you could also check that the impulse jewel is not missing therefore leaving nothing to engage with the pallet fork.

hope that makes sense , good luck

Damo516    2,466

Thanks both of you for the replies.

I'm currently at work but will have a check later tonight. Pallet does move freely so just hoping it's a case of what you both think - jewel in pallet

gimli    1,464

Perhaps stupid question but you didn't specify. Have you lubed/oiled the movement ?

jnash    9

In my opinion it would still go a bit , this movement is jeweled

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Damo516    2,466

No such thing as a stupid question Gimli, I'm still learning :yes:

It is a jeweled movement and yes it is oiled up :) I managed to find a YouTube video, restripped the bits I hadn't oiled, oiled up and rebuilt to where I am in the first post.

Steep learning curve but very enjoyable to learn more about how watches work :)

Damo516    2,466

Sorry for the late reply, I've been dead on my feet with migraines the last couple of days :(

Thanks @jnash @andyclient you were correct, although I thought I had the jewel in at the correct angle it appears it was not. Pallet to the left instead of the right where I had it, balance in and of it ticked :thumbsup:

Thank you both again :notworthy:

PS - don't go too far, I plan on doing more stripping, cleaning, oiling (various movements) and I'm sure I'll need more advice :)

Cheers, Damo 

Damo516    2,466

All back together, ticking along nicelyish. I decided to get the timegrapher out and see how bad my handy work was :laugh:

20170423_121019

Still looks like it's snowing and tgr time keeping is a bit erratic haha

20170423_121201

Thanks @Davey P I've learnt a bit more how watches work :thumbsup:

PC-Magician    2,360
1 hour ago, Damo516 said:

All back together, ticking along nicelyish. I decided to get the timegrapher out and see how bad my handy work was :laugh:

20170423_121019

Still looks like it's snowing and tgr time keeping is a bit erratic haha

20170423_121201

Thanks @Davey P I've learnt a bit more how watches work :thumbsup:

Escapement issues by the look of it is the hair spring in plane?

Escape wheel worn possibly worn or chipped pallets?

Damo516    2,466

Thanks 44, me too :yes:

@PC-Magician - I did check each part but couldn't see much in the way of damage. The innards were a complete mess.

Thimo    123
On 4/24/2017 at 08:05, Damo516 said:

Thanks 44, me too :yes:

@PC-Magician - I did check each part but couldn't see much in the way of damage. The innards were a complete mess.

Great thread and very well done, I'm impressed.

fredwastell    122

If you look at the balance spring jewel it looks as though the little gold retaining clip is not fully engaged - or but maybe its my eyes. Be carefull when messing about with it as I have broken 3 or 4 of them.

Edited by fredwastell
bit left out