• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
GASHEAD

Baltic Watches on Kickstarter

Leberkäse    797
On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 16:06, hughlle said:

I am trying to work out if I prefer the chrono to the 1963 seagull reissue

They missed a trick by not featuring a Panda Dial. Am I missing something or are they actually aiming to flog these for twice the price of a 1963 ?.

scottswatches    4,551
1 hour ago, Leberkäse said:

Am I missing something or are they actually aiming to flog these for twice the price of a 1963 ?.

They have.  They have raised nearly €400k against a €65k target on kickstarter, and Hodinkee's article will push that further

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/baltic-watches-bicompax-001-chronograph-kickstarter

I have had to stop myself, twice, from pulling the trigger.  Must think vintage, must think vintage...

I agree a panda dial will look nice, and I also think €30 for a display back is a bit steep

Leberkäse    797

Jesus wept, best of luck to them in flogging many then. As you know tis exactly the same movement as the 1963 but whiffs of garlic !. But I guess the 1963 will not be on the radar for folk if they don't know its out there.

Leberkäse    797

Seagull 1963 Leather

IIBICOMPAX 001. Cream

I know which one I would take even if they cost the same. The above dial just looks unfinished imo.

Not a whole bunch different case wise either

sg24_1_1.jpg

As I've said best of luck to them so not having a swipe as such, just my observations :)

I have always wanted a hand-wind chronograph watch with a display back as these watches can as look as good from the back as from the front.

Yes, the new Baltic watches look nice but the term "neo-vintage" used by Baltic to describe their products says it all and puts me off. I am just dying to see some of these new companies or producers move us on from repetitions of vintage-inspired retro watches. I have just posted about the revival of the Vertex name, which has commenced with yet another near reproduction of an old model, and I am becoming tired of all this rehashing of the past. For heaven's sake, can't we get beyond that into a truly modern and dynamic world of watch design. :)