Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Robden

Are you hooked on anything, apart from watches?

Recommended Posts

Caroline & I share an interest in photography, particularly landscapes, hardly surprising considering where we live :tongue:

Here`re some of our photos...

 

GL-DSC_0165.thumb.gif.93c1818b1fed8bcf876e93431c479ab9.gif

GL-DSC_0155.thumb.gif.bd6a0b0cf2ba0d79d3752b4db459e8b9.gif

LDDSC_0035.thumb.gif.b411c83277985942edfcb6e8bc1b7158.gifMC-DSC_0398.gif.3c292a341d038b9bdb238363c6c9fc79.gif

 

BGDSC_0084.thumb.gif.68a2575196851ebacc3fec031538b230.gif

 

:biggrin:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hooked on surfing, I have about 15 surfboards and use one.  I do however rotate my watch collection (3 if you can call it a collection) and if I don't bond with one its gone, unlike the boards!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

Caroline & I share an interest in photography, particularly landscapes, hardly surprising considering where we live :tongue:

Here`re some our photos...

 

MC-DSC_0398.gif.3c292a341d038b9bdb238363c6c9fc79.gif

:biggrin:

Seems more "lived in" now:

machlake.gif

:biggrin:

Later,
William

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Service Engineer said:

Bob J,

Some truly beautiful plants. Some I recognise from my visits to various tropical and near tropical countries in my previous service engineering days. You did well to produce such a superb display. Have you ever grown a Pomegranate  plant from a single seed/ pip ?  Dead easy to grow but I have only once ever seen a flower on one in the UK.

Thanks for sharing your pictures and good luck with your new garden.

 

 

Thanks for looking SE, glad you liked it. :thumbsup:

Although I grew a fair few plants from seed Pomegranate wasn't one of them, I'll have to add it to the list, I like a challenge.  

I have a ton of building and landscaping to do here yet so my new garden is way off for now, but I'll get there!.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, William_Wilson said:

Seems more "lived in" now:

machlake.gif

:biggrin:

Later,
William

 I blame our southern neighbours - they`re always wanting to have holiday homes in Scotland :rolleyes::laugh:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also hooked on wooden toys, perfumes and matched betting! Using maths to extract risk free profits from bookmakers, I have zero interest in sports, just the maths! Earned over £25,000 from it before the bookmakers started clamping down on bonus abusers :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 17:34, BobJ said:

Before we moved from a house to semi derelict bungalow 5 years ago I used to enjoy creating and maintaining an exotic, hardy

tropical garden outside in the UK (mad I know) Just to have somewhere nice to sit with a beer in the evenings I told my wife!

It's taken the best part of three years to renovate the bungalow with me doing most of the work evenings and weekends, the garden here is still a building site but I'm working on it.

Anyway, a short vid of my previous small garden before we sold up.

 

 

I found that fascinating. I thought I saw what looked a banana tree in there? Is that right? I'm in the process of creating a tropical garden here in tropical Thailand. I plan to start a new thread and gallery about it soon. It's starting with the rear of the house being concreted over! :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Caller. said:

I found that fascinating. I thought I saw what looked a banana tree in there? Is that right? I'm in the process of creating a tropical garden here in tropical Thailand. I plan to start a new thread and gallery about it soon. It's starting with the rear of the house being concreted over! :huh:

Hi Phil,

Yes, the large green banana clump mid video is Musa Basjoo. It's permanently planted out, obviously it dies down in the winter but regenerates from the roots each summer. At least it does here in the south west's relatively mild winter climate.

I can imagine you'll have an easier time of it creating a garden in tropical Thailand once you've jackhammered the concrete away!

I look forward to seeing your progress on here. :thumbsup:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BobJ said:

Hi Phil,

Yes, the large green banana clump mid video is Musa Basjoo. It's permanently planted out, obviously it dies down in the winter but regenerates from the roots each summer. At least it does here in the south west's relatively mild winter climate.

I can imagine you'll have an easier time of it creating a garden in tropical Thailand once you've jackhammered the concrete away!

I look forward to seeing your progress on here. :thumbsup:

 

The problem with banana plants is getting rid of them! We have one growing in the back at the moment, - it's been dug up twice!

The concrete doesn't exist at the moment, it starts going down tomorrow! Basically, Thai houses are typically built at the back of a plot, which doesn't really mean grass can grow at the back and sides, as all houses have overhanging roofs. It also gets problematic after a storm as the base soil is a thick, clinging clay, often exposed. Thais also generally have what has become known as a Thai kitchen i.e. outdoors. Pam wants one, so the concrete is to create a sort of utility area - the washing machine is already out there.

Edit - did you actually manage to grow bananas?

Edited by Caller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hooked on vaping since I stopped smoking proper cigarettes. I also love thinking of new ways to see if I can find a way to make betting pay. I only place very small stakes with the aim that if I find a long term system that makes money then I will add more to it. So far, I'm still looking for this holy grail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Caller. said:

The problem with banana plants is getting rid of them! We have one growing in the back at the moment, - it's been dug up twice!

The concrete doesn't exist at the moment, it starts going down tomorrow! Basically, Thai houses are typically built at the back of a plot, which doesn't really mean grass can grow at the back and sides, as all houses have overhanging roofs. It also gets problematic after a storm as the base soil is a thick, clinging clay, often exposed. Thais also generally have what has become known as a Thai kitchen i.e. outdoors. Pam wants one, so the concrete is to create a sort of utility area - the washing machine is already out there.

Edit - did you actually manage to grow bananas?

Ah, I read you wrong, thought you had conrete to get rid of rather than create a hard standing.

Although the banana variety Musa Basjoo will flower and produce small inedible fruit given a long warm growing

season it's not something I mangaged to achieve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BobJ said:

Although the banana variety Musa Basjoo will flower and produce small inedible fruit given a long warm growing

season it's not something I mangaged to achieve.

They grow easily here - have no idea of the variety - here's one from Pam's house in Korat, where I first stayed when I moved here. 

08nxBaip9OTiabyzZzs7dvKWZBXsR9RROFd6QlDD

The flower, which is huge, disappeared long before the fruit was ripe. You can buy them at markets and they are used in curry's. This tree was actually found to be rotten, after the stem the fruit grew on was chopped down - they only fruit the once. But the new growth was still healthy and the tree is still thriving, I was there last week. A neighbour looks after the few plants and keeps everything tidy. I don't like these trees because of the ants they host. They can be quite nasty. 

v9TgOpG4c08G038DJqilLu_eiNLSkAjYJVznl8dc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

About Us

The Watch Forum started in 2001 as a forum for RLT Watches customers. Since then it has grown into a world wide community of watch enthusiasts and a large resource for all types of horology.

Contact Us

Email : admin@thewatchforum.co.uk

Phone: 07762 569 999
×