UK Watch Forum banner

Fun in the Cheap Seats

1K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  Noslho 
#1 ·
This is a kind of poll. Can you get a kick out of a cheap interesting watch or are you at a stage when only expensive quality will do. Would you be chuffed to pick up a pay it forward Casio......

32645434074_9dcc1b83da_b.jpg

From Des

Or this Parnis.....

30380229481_97588dd3d7_b.jpg

Had a lot of fun for 90 odd squids :)

And then there are.......

29812591470_ac705b2cb6_b.jpg

Or even...........

24923459162_d200c7a2f4_b.jpg

Let's hear it for the cheap seats :clap:

Can YOU find fun there ( not exclusively).

Pics please

Cheers

See less See more
#3 ·
I have never understood the preoccupation on watch forums with money. Surely the pleasure should be in owning the watch not how much it cost or didn't cost? I have owned/own watches worth several thousands and watches worth £50 but so what? I could go out and spend 2k on some watch with a movement not much better than one in a £150 high street special as watch enthusiasts is it not about the fit and finish, the quality of the build, the movement, whats gone into making the watch rather than the price?

I have had several Vostok watches most of them ok at least two kept remarkably good time and as tool divers watches would probably be more useful than most. So what let them down? Well the silly "scuba dude" on the dial made it look like a child's toy, the bracelet was a throw away and unless I was a regular diver/swimmer it was never going to be worn much.

The Seiko 5 military watches I think are one of the best value for money watches out there as are pretty much all the Seiko 5 line up. Perfect as a kids watch too for getting used to a non digital dial dial and an automatic movement.

Cheap is also in the eye of the beholder. Seiko SARB are on of the best value for money watches I have found but for "cheap" or value nothing beats Stowa, probably the best value watches in the EU.

#4 ·
I have never understood the preoccupation on watch forums with money. Surely the pleasure should be in owning the watch not how much it cost or didn't cost? I have owned/own watches worth several thousands and watches worth £50 but so what? I could go out and spend 2k on some watch with a movement not much better than one in a £150 high street special as watch enthusiasts is it not about the fit and finish, the quality of the build, the movement, whats gone into making the watch rather than the price?

I have had several Vostok watches most of them ok at least two kept remarkably good time and as tool divers watches would probably be more useful than most. So what let them down? Well the silly "scuba dude" on the dial made it look like a child's toy, the bracelet was a throw away and unless I was a regular diver/swimmer it was never going to be worn much.

The Seiko 5 military watches I think are one of the best value for money watches out there as are pretty much all the Seiko 5 line up. Perfect as a kids watch too for getting used to a non digital dial dial and an automatic movement.

Cheap is also in the eye of the beholder. Seiko SARB are on of the best value for money watches I have found but for "cheap" or value nothing beats Stowa, probably the best value watches in the EU.
I'm assuming that's a yes then

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
No sorry, not for me.

Not every expensive item is a good quality item, but most good quality items are expensive. Obviously you could easily go and spend £2000 on a piece of crap watch, that is very easy but its pretty difficult to get an Omega Speedmaster for £50 for example. There are almost as many expensive watches that I do not want as cheap ones... a Hublot might be expensive but it does nothing for me for instance.

It is not really about the money but the price is an indicator of quality... for me there might be cheaper watches that will hold interest, like my 1921 Longines, its an unusual item, in good condition, priced relatively reasonable because of lack of shock protection and a smaller sized case, for some that's still not cheap enough. The point is that there must be something special about any watch I get or I simply don't want it. Usually to get something special is going to cost money... I would be happy picking up an expensive watch for cheap but I doubt that is going to happen.

Also it very much detracts from my enjoyment if I know a watch has cost me far and above what it is worth... sorry but I want maximum value for money.

The other issue is that if I am less selective I will end up with lots of watches that I don't really appreciate. Limiting the size of my collection mean they all get worn, they all get loved and I get great enjoyment out of them.

#10 ·
I buy Cheap Inexpensive watches so that I can put them up for comp' prizes for @Davey P to win, as it makes me laugh and keeps him happy.........bless him. :biggrin:
Sounds good to me - I am easily pleased mate :laughing2dw:

With regards to the original question, I get exactly the same enjoyment from a 10 quid cheapie (or even a competition freebie...) as I do from my most expensive piece, which is currently my Bulova Sea King UHF:

20161118_183801_zps89p18wqj.jpg

:thumbsup:

#16 ·
I think I have made it fairly obvious over time the cheap seats is where I reside, not particularly that I can't afford a 2 or 3 grand watch I just don't want to buy one. I have been so happy with some "cheap" watches and very unhappy with some, and there's the rub. If I spend £30 on a watch and don't actually like it that much after a couple of wears its not really a problem. I have really wanted a couple of fairly expensive watches I have seen images of and been so disappointed on the wrist. I know you must try expensive watches on before buying but after 3 hours on the wrist opinions may change. Everyone is different, I like to be able to spend a few quid every now and again and have the same anticipation of delivery that everyone has and no ear ache from SWMBO. I await a Nixon as I type with bum fidgeting anticipation as if it was a jaw droppingly expensive one. So the answer RWP for me is YES. By the way Wrench love the Chinese one, barmy but fun.

#22 ·
I only have about 5 watches I consider to be expensive. Sarb035 was mentioned earlier in the same sentence as "cheap", and is my second most expensive watch, the cost of which is probably pocket money to some, but I had to save for it.

I love it, but also love the Services watch I paid less than £30 for. Or the Seiko Sportsmatic I paid £25 for. And the freebie I'm wearing tonight.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and one man's idea of cheap is another man's HOW MUCH ? :jawdrop1:

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
I enjoy tinkering with cheap watches to try to revive/restore them, but I am not sure i would get as much enjoyment doing that on an expensive watch as, with my skill level, i would always be too worried that i would end up knackering it. Cheap one, i am happy to play without a concern.

When it comes to wearing watches, I am happy with either - I'm not proud! :tongue:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.