UK Watch Forum banner

Pets or Watches ?

1K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  RWP 
#1 ·
I was just coming up to another purchase, something around 500, and looking seriously. Boogie had other ideas and got a cough. Two trips to the vet, x rays, tests etc........486 squids. :thumbsup: He has mild asthma poor fella.......big soft lump.

I wouldn't have it any other way, I am going to strap him to my wrist :whistle:

What unforseen circumstances have eaten up your Watch funds ?

#2 ·
Pets always win . We had Alfie our staffy/lurcher cross to the vets yesterday . He only eats wheat/grain free food as he has an allergy but it flared up over the weekend so a two week dose of tablets to reduce the rash then investigate why . Good news is the vet wore a Seiko 007 so cant be a bad vet :)

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
C5ACAFAD-595C-454C-BE77-B5F9AAFE3731_zps

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Pets always win . We had Alfie our staffy/lurcher cross to the vets yesterday . He only eats wheat/grain free food as he has an allergy but it flared up over the weekend so a two week dose of tablets to reduce the rash then investigate why . Good news is the vet wore a Seiko 007 so cant be a bad vet :)

C5ACAFAD-595C-454C-BE77-B5F9AAFE3731_zps
Poor fella......hope it gets betterJohn :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Our vet bill finished at about £3750 for our Lab Murphy. He was losing weight and constant diarrhoea. The local vet referred us to "Dicks" vet hospital in Edinburgh. After many scans scopes and biopsies, plus countless blood tests, turns out he has irritable bowel syndrome and requires a fish only diet for life. He still is soft but no longer constant diarrhoea.

like @RWP we wouldn't have it any other way, now all our kids are up and flown the nest, our dogs are our kids, in fact probably better treated than our kids! Better behaved too.

Just as well we had pet insurance :thumbsup: I would always recommend it, certainly worked in our case.

#8 ·
Just as well we had pet insurance :thumbsup: I would always recommend it, certainly worked in our case.
Interesting program on radio 4 recently highlighting how vets bills have rocketed since pet insurance has increased in popularity. I tried to get it for my last cats, but was told they were too old to qualify.

Towser had a healthy lifestyle.

Towser was famous for her record breaking mouse catching skills. In fact she was so incredible that she made it in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's best mouser with a solid count of 28,899 mice.Towser was a long-haired tortoiseshell that was born on April 21, 1963. She lived 24 years of her life in Glenturret Distillery, Scotland.

Even has her own statue. (and successor)

towser_and_peat(1).png

#7 ·
I have only ever had one pet of mine in my life, a collie dog, he came to us( when I lived at home and at school ) as a stray, he came fully trained would walk by your side without a lead , I could make him sit lay etc, at distance, mum used to tell me he would know what time I would be home from school and look out for me , I had him for 12 years,

he died from epilepsy, it so effected me so bad when I lost him I did not want and have never had another of my own pets ( kids had rabbits, hamsters but I would not let them have a dog!). :(

what I meant to say its not pets but bloody cars that keep me poor /more watchless, like I have recently said, wifes car died, needed another so £800 + tax, + insurance fee later, means my credit card reduction has be put on hold , which means no more expenditure on watches let alone anything else for a while !

deano

Reactions: RWP
#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
No question, pets take priority every time...

MollyPrimecatIMG_0150.jpg~original

Cat-Walk-IMG_5310.jpg~original

JackiewatchDSC_0008.jpg~original

All fully insured :thumbsup:

Reactions: RWP
#12 ·
pets every time :yes: The only pet we have now is Tommy the stray who turned up on our doorstep about 5 years ago. As you know I lost my lovely Molly last year and it gets so hard to let them go I dont want to go through that again :( I mainly make a fuss of customers pets now ( i havent become so attached to Tommy as he isnt so cuddly and spends most of his time outdoors.)

#13 ·
Just a matter of time with Lowry. Already had to take him in after eating something in the park that nearly killed him.

Mentioned to a family of scumbos feeding the ducks (not in the duck pond, but on the path next to it) that mouldy bread killed a local dog at the weekend and nearly got battered for saying something. Drives me insane!

His recall is great until we get near to where people have left food in the past. Love him but he drives me mad...

EC4hwgI.jpg

As for unexpected drains on resources - home improvements. Wifotherapy just randomly decides to do up parts of the house using magic money that apparently appears from nowhere...

#14 ·
Pets and Vets - they rhyme but don't really go well together. Take a pet to a vet and you end up bled dry. Sorry, but I have friends with various pets and I am staggered at the fees charged for very simple procedures and drugs. Mind you, that Super Vet on TV probably does deserve good remuneration, and I wonder how many of his pioneering techniques have reached the NHS. The best pets we have had were budgies - great personalities, wonderful talkers and all round good fun - we allowed them to be free over the whole downstairs and they used their cages when they wanted food or sleep. And the costs of keeping the budgies were minimal.

As for cars - well, we all know about the costs incurred.

Oh yes, what about watches? I buy them, I wear them, I collect them, I research them. They are now my pets and they don't require visits to the vet. :)

#24 ·
Bil has just had his scran, the best part of a tin of corned beef and a big lump of red leicester chopped into it.

I like to keep him tip top just in case I'm suddenly poor and have to eat him.

:laugh: :laugh:

#25 ·
Bil has just had his scran, the best part of a tin of corned beef and a big lump of red leicester chopped into it.

I like to keep him tip top just in case I'm suddenly poor and have to eat him.

:laugh: :laugh:
:laugh:

I'm sure it won't come to that :yes: but if it did you could also line your boots. :laugh:

#27 ·
Pets very time !

Four cats and two rabbits can get expensive from time to time, but as I said to the vet when he told me last week that he'd tried to keep the price down as much as possible as we are "regulars" - it is what it is. If you can't afford to look after your pets, you shouldn't have any !! ( I overheard one of the receptionists talking to a colleague about one woman who turned up in a brand new Range Rover and complained about paying £20 for antibiotics).

I guess we are lucky, - two reasonably well paying jobs means the occasional vet's bill can be catered for (£350 last week for 3 cat vaccinations and an x-ray etc for a poorly elderly rabbit). Ours aren't insured as the premium for 6 animals would be astronomical.

We are also lucky to have a vetinary surgery with vets (and other staff) who seem to actually love animals. When our rabbit went in last week, apparently one of the nurses gave up her lunch hour to look after her. We also got a very nice sympathy card from the surgery when we lost our old lady last year. Yes, they are in it to make money, but things like that make a hell of a difference.

#28 ·
Yeah, I'm not at all a pet person. Just another form of slavery as far as I'm concerned and, worse, a depletion of my freedom. Nowhere near as bad as having children of course. Unfortunately, some day soon, the other half will force me to get a dog. I'm just happy that's all she wants.

So watches definitely are my surrogate pet I guess.

#30 ·
@Mr Levity I'm shocked at how much pet insurance costs! Do you have a pot to cover stuff like that or do you just take the hit?

Agree that you just pay what needs paying when it needs paying when it's your pet, I don't even mind that he costs me watches regularly, you wouldn't swap one for the other.
I guess we just take the hit. In all honesty, if we were given a choice of a, say, £1000 bill or letting an animal go we would really have to think about it (though a £1000 bill would obviously mean a serious problem which could lead to other large bills ).

#32 ·
I had a cat for many years. Great little guy but his claws were no respecters of nice furniture. When he got ill I determined not to have any more pets. Therefore, when I had to have him put down I went out and bought a new leather sofa. I do things like that.

That was before watches. However, more recently, in a year when I could not afford both I found myself thinking "watch or holiday?" For about three seconds. Then I booked the holiday. I know my priorities.

#34 ·
I had a cat for many years. Great little guy but his claws were no respecters of nice furniture. When he got ill I determined not to have any more pets. Therefore, when I had to have him put down I went out and bought a new leather sofa. I do things like that.

That was before watches. However, more recently, in a year when I could not afford both I found myself thinking "watch or holiday?" For about three seconds. Then I booked the holiday. I know my priorities.
I have had pets from childhood, and furniture not withstanding, and despite the pain of loss, I wouldn't be without one. It is a responsibility but they give far more than they ever take. For me a home is incomplete without some furry residents.

#33 ·
I've just had the same thing my old dogs back legs are going and he fell up the step knocking hid belly up that cost me £118 then the wind took six panels out in the garden £185 I'm just going out to pick them up and that's what I'm doing all weekend it took a few months to save that as spare cash now its no more that's life

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.