UK Watch Forum banner

Kinetic Watches

5K views 60 replies 23 participants last post by  owain1 
#1 ·
I have found myself recently being more and more attracted to Kinetics I do not own one and think it is about time I did . I understand that the watch will needed to be worn for a while to build up its charge which I do not have a problem with this .

Are there any pro's and con's to owning a Kinetic any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated . Cheers John

#2 ·
I bought one of the first Seiko kinetics when they came out. Had to replace the cell twice. From memory the first one lasted about 8 years. The replacement was an upgrade which gave a much longer power reserve. I gave the watch to a friend who since receiving it has used it 24/7. So, a good watch I would say. :yes:

#3 ·
My kinetic has been in a box for about 4 weeks. Had a look and it is still the correct date and time........give or take a few seconds and there is still

plenty of power left. Mind you, I did put a new battery/cap' in it recently.

I like them.

Rob....

#4 ·
I have a Pulsar kinteic that is now about 8 years old. It has quite a noisy rotor inside it and can only be charged by wearing/shaking it (I believe that some can be charged by hand winding?).

It is incredibly reliable and accurate. It usually loses 2-3sec between changing from summer to winter times and, since the back has never needed to be removed for battery change etc, it has never needed re-sealing for waterproofing. Mine has been through everything - swimming, skiing, climbing, camping, mud, blood, sweat and tears. Even one dunking in the loo, but it has remained strong.

Once, possibly twice a month it gets either a good shake or a day of wearing, and that keeps it charged for the rest of the month.

J

#6 ·
Had no issues with Kinetics and my first one was a 1990s Seiko. I too like the combination of quartz accuracy with the rotor wheel loading the capacitor.

My only advice is, if you're buying a pre-owned Kinetic, you might want to look into replacing the capacitor if it's a few years old. Those made post 1990s are a lot better than the early ones.

#7 ·
I have looked at youtube videos changing capaciters and it may be something I would be willing to try doing myself.

Ideally I fancy a seiko kinetic yours @RWP is a beauty . Think I may be heading to Ebay a little later today :thumbsup:

#8 ·
I have looked at youtube videos changing capaciters and it may be something I would be willing to try doing myself.

Ideally I fancy a seiko kinetic yours @RWP is a beauty . Think I may be heading to Ebay a little later today :thumbsup:
The newer ones generally have a power reserve of 6 months and so do not require to be worn so often. Only problem with kinetics is if you allow the charge to run out as this can damage the capacitor.

Have a look on creation watches - lots of choice and some good prices.

#10 ·
I have a seiko kinetic and has been in the box for a long time, scratched the hell out of the face but when I bought it I got a warranty card without a date of purchase? I have read that if you place the watch into (the candles that don't burn, you charge them in the metal plate) it saves charging them up manually, I have never tried it but look at youtube and they swear it works.

Ideally you could just sit on the loo and wave 10 - 10 past like a fly rod. Alas sitting on the loo is no longer a pleasure of mine and my magazines are stocking up massively :(

#12 ·
The only kinetic I've ever owned was this beauty, the mighty Seiko BFK:

20151002_120406_zpska7vvdzz.jpg

Personally, I think the whole kinetic technology thing is a step in the wrong direction, and it seems a bit crude compared to Citizen's Eco-Drive. I mean, what could be easier than charging the watch by leaving it on a window sill? But I can also see the attraction of kinetics, especially from you crazy bunch of automatic and/or manual winding freaks :laughing2dw:

I didn't have any problems with mine (it was bought from a member on here, and I don't know whether the capacitor had been changed or not) but I always thought it would have been better with just a normal bog standard Seiko quartz movement inside. I ended up selling it to our old mucker Bruce, and he was chuffed with it :thumbsup:

#13 ·
The only kinetic I've ever owned was this beauty, the mighty Seiko BFK:

20151002_120406_zpska7vvdzz.jpg

Personally, I think the whole kinetic technology thing is a step in the wrong direction, and it seems a bit crude compared to Citizen's Eco-Drive. I mean, what could be easier than charging the watch by leaving it on a window sill? But I can also see the attraction of kinetics, especially from you crazy bunch of automatic and/or manual winding freaks :laughing2dw:

I didn't have any problems with mine (it was bought from a member on here, and I don't know whether the capacitor had been changed or not) but I always thought it would have been better with just a normal bog standard Seiko quartz movement inside. I ended up selling it to our old mucker Bruce, and he was chuffed with it :thumbsup:
That is really smart and definately my kind of watch . I am turning into you recently I have been buying Quartz movement watches :thumbs_up:

#18 ·
Get a Philips candle charger for topping up your charge, if not worn on regular basis........Bob.

IMG_20160313_131657895_zpsqngm1xeg.jpg
How does this work? I am guilty of not wearing my kinetic watches nearly enough, so this might be a solution.

An early one, that I fitted a new capacitor to about a year ago,stayed in the box ever since and won't revive. The advice is to give it 5-700 shakes, which is a lot. I gave it 800 and all I got was arm ache

Reactions: Markrlondon
#19 ·
Am Liking that candle charger idea thats pretty cool!,.... I have had lots of Kinetics but moved them all on, ...I cant help thinking of long term and how they might have charging issues in years to come,.....its just me but I prefer an automatic or handwind, something proven to still work decades after being found again long after Kinetics have turned to ground fill, nothing against them but more for the here and now I reckon and not something that will show up running on a future antiques roadshow..... :laugh:

#21 ·
I already have an Eco drive Andy its a cracking watch and gets quite a lot of wrist wear

2A42EDCA-1DA2-4C5D-B3CE-4F8D8D329600_zps

I think because I have mechanical autos and eco watches the longing for a kinetic is simply because I have never had one so obviously want one and want one now :laugh:

#31 ·
mine is on test. Different charger again, but it fired straight up into two second steps. As mine is already likely to need replacing it isn't probably the best one to try it on, as won't be sure if it works or not.

#38 ·
I'm a bit late to the party, but the Braun toothbrush chargers definitely work. You have to play about with positioning a little but once you get it right mine was fully charged within a day or so. That was from complete discharge state too. Mine is a Seiko Titanium SQ50 bought in Gibraltar in the late 80s. It had a replacement capacitor about 12yrs ago and was my daily beater for a long time. Great watch, although a little beaten up but considering what it's had to put up with its faired well.

#39 ·
I'm a bit late to the party, but the Braun toothbrush chargers definitely work. You have to play about with positioning a little but once you get it right mine was fully charged within a day or so. That was from complete discharge state too. Mine is a Seiko Titanium SQ50 bought in Gibraltar in the late 80s. It had a replacement capacitor about 12yrs ago and was my daily beater for a long time. Great watch, although a little beaten up but considering what it's had to put up with its faired well.

Hi, Glad it worked out for you, just a bit of time needed too find the best position, well done......Bob.

#42 ·
After owning several Seiko Kinetics, I now have Citizen Eco Drives and much prefer them for day to day wear. I don't have a single Seiko any more, not that I don't respect them, I just seem to have moved on!

:yes:

Mike

#45 ·
I have to say this thread has come up perfect timing for me, I have just had incoming the last SKA557P1 from Creation watches,

Came up "Sold out" just after buying it and arrived today with juddery seconds, (am guessing its been on the shelf a while)

I have not had much joy trying to charge it the conventual way arm ache and boredom has not got very far, its still early doors but after a bit of trial and error and several positions later :laugh: ...... its stopped juddering and Its up to the 5 min mark,.....I may end up returning it if it doesent hold up but for any non believers out there who'd have thought your old tooth brush charger could become part of your watch gear...... fascinating stuff !!!!!

#46 ·
I may end up returning it if it doesent hold up but for any non believers out there who'd have thought your old tooth brush charger could become part of your watch gear...... fascinating stuff !!!!!
Personally I don't think I'd bother returning anything to Creation. The unrecoverable return postage cost means it wouldn't be worth it in my opinion (even with PayPal on my side). In the case of a faulty Kinetic I'd either replace the capacitor myself (and maybe sell on if I didn't like it) or get Seiko to fix it (if I had the UK/EU/worldwide warranty card).

#48 ·
I got one Kinetic, it was good at the beginning, but then 1-2 years only it started to malfunction :( I came back to the watch shop they said that I had to change the "Capacitor"!!! The guy was claiming that I should not stay to long under too strong sun like in Dubai. I am on the beach 300++ days per year and in summer +50 degrees Celsius here in Dubai, So after to have replace the capacitor and paid half of the price of the watch: I gave it to my brother in-law living in Europe :) This Kinetic is good on the paper, but seems to be weak for hot countries...

#49 ·
That's interesting. I've never heard of temperature issues with Kinetics.

It's not unusual for the rechargeable cells to not last very long though, in my experience. (The early Kinetics and AGS watches before them actually did have capacitors but these did not last at all well and have been replaced with rechargeable cells).

Seiko, Citizen and Casio all use the same rechargeable cells from Panasonic but Casio seem to get the best lifetime and reliability out of them.

#60 ·
Mine seems to have gone a bit weird it jumps in 2 second increments, had it about 9-10 years, I'm thinking it needs a cell change, not sure of the cost though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sound about right if it's been left for uncharged for sometime, there are companies charging £60 + for a battery change, it not that difficult to replace the cell have a look on You Tube, cost DIY well have a look ebay.......Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.