UK Watch Forum banner

Chronograph Functions

2K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  JayDeep 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Very easy and pointless.

Take a 1 mile stretch of road (or reset your mileometer). When you start driving, start the chronograph, when you hit the mile point, stop it. The chronograph hand will be pointing at a number on the bezel which is your average speed.

Pretty much exactly as it said in your link. Don't think it can be simplified any more.

Not sure how it works if you're doing less than 60mph.

#40 ·
Very easy and pointless.

Take a 1 mile stretch of road (or reset your mileometer). When you start driving, start the chronograph, when you hit the mile point, stop it. The chronograph hand will be pointing at a number on the bezel which is your average speed.

Pretty much exactly as it said in your link. Don't think it can be simplified any more.

Not sure how it works if you're doing less than 60mph.
And driving while using a mobile is dangerous ? :huh:

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Its simple !!

As the car passes the line or the starting pistol sounds you start the chronograph.

At least 7 seconds must elapse (the numbers don't start appearing on the bezel or dial immediately...)

When the car reaches the mile marker or runner passes the finish line you stop the chrono.

In the case of the car the number will be miles per hour, or if you stopped it when they passed a km then km per hour.

The runner might require mathematics...it will be the number of unots of distance they covered per hour...eg if it read 120 and they covered 200m then it would be 120 lots of 200m per hour or 24km per hour.

Thats cos 200m is 20% of a km... hope you get me...24 is 20% of 120 ^^

If they are doing les than 60mph you need to stop on a measure smaller than a mile and worknit out. Whichever distance pressumably must take less than 60secs...unless there is a duel scale for a second minute. (Maybe someone knows another technique)

Reactions: Pip
#4 ·
Hmmm... ok so lets take a race track for example (originally why the Daytona was made I believe). So say the track is 2.2 miles long. The car takes 1 min 30 secs to do a lap. so the second hand indicates 120 units per hour on the bezel. whats the average speed?​

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well it does 120 lots of 2.2m per hour so must do 120 divided by 2.2 per hour. Which is about 54.5 mph I think.

I just saw the 1 min 30 thing.... if it has a secondary scale that reads 120 then this works but from memory 120 is much earlier than 1min 30.

In this case I would time till the mid point of the lap because if the timed period is less that 1minute its quite plain to understand.

#5 ·
You tube has some good videos. But the basics are that you take a known distance [eg 1km]. Start your chrono at the beginning of the journey and stop it at the end. The number on the bezel where the pointer is, shows your speed, in this case in km per hr, but you could have measured how fast a snail goes over a cm. You can do much more intricate calculations but the principle is the same.

#17 ·
I'm sure Mr Wilsdorf would be happy to know his creation is getting put to good use :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It doesn't have to be moving speed.

If you start your chronograph when the bar maid starts pulling your pint and stop it when she hands it to you.

The number on the outer ring would indicate the number of pints she could pull in an hour.

The tachometer simply converts the time for any single event into events completed in an hour.
Does that include getting the pork scratchings? :laugh: Yeah I get it now. T=36,000/s

#15 ·
How fast are eggs then?

#16 ·

If you start your chronograph when the bar maid starts pulling your pint and stop it when she hands it to you.

The number on the outer ring would indicate the number of pints she could pull in an hour.

The tachometer simply converts the time for any single event into events completed in an hour.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)

Does that work with double vodka red bulls as units ??

:laugh: :laugh:

Reactions: Roger the Dodger
#21 ·
#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
Some (well quite a lot actually) have a 'tachymeter' scale on the bezel or the rehaut. This reads speed in mph over a measured mile. Look at the image below which shows a typical Tachy scale.

d0f6e5bf-812f-4e89-89f3-d876973d9f35_zps

As you can see, if you do the mile in a minute, you are doing sixty MPH, as denoted by the '60' at 12 o clock, and if you do it in 30 secs, you are at 120 MPH. Do it in 45 secs and you are doing 80 MPH, and if lucky....or stupid enough to do it in 15 secs, then 250 MPH. The red section is for 'stumblebums' who don't put the pedal to the metal and records times longer than a minute...up to around 1 minute and 14 seconds....do the mile in 1minute and 10 seconds and you're at a paltry 52-51 MPH.......pathetic..... :laugh:

Reactions: Daveyboyz
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.