• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
blackandgolduk

Back to the Russians...

After a (not inconsiderable) break from 'actively' following, buying and keeping up to speed with my collecting habits I've found myself slowly drifting back to adding to the collection and wearing different watches each day.  Over the past few years my time has been taken up with house buying (and the inevitable DIY), getting married, having kids, working etc. and the watches took a back seat.

A week or two ago I started perusing eBay again, and naturally the search terms of 'Sekonda', 'Poljot', 'Slava', 'Raketa' etc. were duly typed into the search box.  Russians were always my thing, along with vintage Swiss.  When I first started collecting, I had next to no spare cash and I used to scour the 'Bay in the early hours searching out bargains and built up a decent collection of about 30 pieces, some picked up for literally pennies - but now, wow!  I'll admit to being shocked at some of the prices people are looking for - I've seen a few up which I would have paid a tenner for a couple of years ago being offered for £70 or £80.

There were a few pieces that I've bid on, and a couple (such as the original Strela, to accompany the re-issue which I have) which I've reconciled I'll have to pay current prices for, but I'll admit to having been shocked at just how much prices have risen.

Having been out of the loop for so long, is eBay still the best place to buy the vintage Russian pieces, or are there other sources?  I also noticed that many are being shipped from abroad (with high postage charges) - is this now common and have the UK 'found in dad's drawer' supplies pretty much dried up?

I can feel my wallet getting lighter as I type, but it's good to be back in the fold...

Lampoc    451

Unfortunately eBay is still the best place to buy vintage Russian watches. When you've been "in the loop" a bit you get to know who are the decent sellers and who are the ones to avoid - and there are more than enough eastern European watch bodgers to avoid.

Prices on certain models have seen percentage rises which put vintage Rolex to shame. Reissue Amphibia 1967s have gone mental lately as have original Strelas and certain Poljot 3133 models (such as the Okeah). Still plenty of cheap stuff though - funky looking 70s/80s Slavas are still quite cheap but prices seem to be heading north - some were quite large for the era but seem a lot more normal nowadays.

Keep an eye on watchrecon - some of the forums can occasionally throw up a bargain:  http://www.watchrecon.com/

Yep, thought so.  I did notice some absolutely rotten frankens - I'll be avoiding them.  It looks to me as though my best bet is to buy some of the non runners for dials, hands and cases and then source replacement movements to put them back together.  Should keep me occupied, but I think I'll have to commit to a Strela sooner rather than later...

I've always loved the Slavas, and you're right about the Okeahs - used to be available for under a ton at times.  Still, they are all good runners, quality movements IMHO.

WRENCH    8,258
On 1/11/2017 at 20:24, blackandgolduk said:

Yep, thought so.  I did notice some absolutely rotten frankens - I'll be avoiding them.  It looks to me as though my best bet is to buy some of the non runners for dials, hands and cases and then source replacement movements to put them back together.  Should keep me occupied, but I think I'll have to commit to a Strela sooner rather than later...

I've always loved the Slavas, and you're right about the Okeahs - used to be available for under a ton at times.  Still, they are all good runners, quality movements IMHO.

Try searching Etsy. I've just got a couple of vintage NOS Russians at reasonable prices, that I've been hunting for years.

On 13/01/2017 at 20:17, WRENCH said:

Try searching Etsy. I've just got a couple of vintage NOS Russians at reasonable prices, that I've been hunting for years.

Yes, I've only just discovered this site.  I bought a few NOS Poljot movements back in the day - there are plenty of non-runners on here that I reckon I can breathe new life into.

Hardly surprising that prices have caught up, but I've seen a few (Russian & Swiss) that just seem far too over-priced, or with silly £15/£20 postage costs.  Let the hunt begin!

On 11.01.2017 at 19:48, blackandgolduk said:

After a (not inconsiderable) break from 'actively' following, buying and keeping up to speed with my collecting habits I've found myself slowly drifting back to adding to the collection and wearing different watches each day.  Over the past few years my time has been taken up with house buying (and the inevitable DIY), getting married, having kids, working etc. and the watches took a back seat.

A week or two ago I started perusing eBay again, and naturally the search terms of 'Sekonda', 'Poljot', 'Slava', 'Raketa' etc. were duly typed into the search box.  Russians were always my thing, along with vintage Swiss.  When I first started collecting, I had next to no spare cash and I used to scour the 'Bay in the early hours searching out bargains and built up a decent collection of about 30 pieces, some picked up for literally pennies - but now, wow!  I'll admit to being shocked at some of the prices people are looking for - I've seen a few up which I would have paid a tenner for a couple of years ago being offered for £70 or £80.

There were a few pieces that I've bid on, and a couple (such as the original Strela, to accompany the re-issue which I have) which I've reconciled I'll have to pay current prices for, but I'll admit to having been shocked at just how much prices have risen.

Having been out of the loop for so long, is eBay still the best place to buy the vintage Russian pieces, or are there other sources?  I also noticed that many are being shipped from abroad (with high postage charges) - is this now common and have the UK 'found in dad's drawer' supplies pretty much dried up?

I can feel my wallet getting lighter as I type, but it's good to be back in the fold...

Prices really high on Ebay. What wrist watch you are interested in? I think I can help, as I live in Russia. You can search for local auctions and message boards.

On 15/01/2017 at 14:18, watch_from_russia said:

Prices really high on Ebay. What wrist watch you are interested in? I think I can help, as I live in Russia. You can search for local auctions and message boards.

I collect pretty much anything that I can get my hands on - probably have around fifty; Poljots, Raketas, Vostoks, Volnas etc.  I have a re-issue Strela (which I love) but never bought an original when the prices were lower.  Are they more available in Russia, and if so, how much do they sell for?  I also regret not buying an original Sturmanski when I had the chance.