• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JayDeep

Timepiece confessions

JayDeep    1,401

I love stupid visual gimmicks and fall victim to fashion trends. I prioritize form over function.

I love big and bulky, and thousands of meters water resistance even though it's unlikely that I'll get it wet washing my hands.

I die for cool case backs, crazy crowns and over the top logos and etching. I absolutely love gimmicky push button mechanisms and crown guards and covers that stick out way too far from the watch. I even call them cool but they're usually absolutely functionless, or, worse, a hindrance to function.

I know, I'm pathetic. Any others willing to sacrifice themselves for the masses to laugh and shake their heads at?

WRENCH    8,811
2 hours ago, Seikotherapy said:

My name's Simon and I'm addicted to naff-looking, £10 Seiko 5s.

0vITODD.jpg

Arrived yesterday :whistle:

I would wear that daily with pride.:yes:

Seikotherapy    1,161
23 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I would wear that daily with pride.:yes:

I have been! Giving the bracelet and case a good ultrasonic clean and a cape cod polish today. 

RWP    13,843

My yearning for huge watches has diminished a bit ( shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh) and I'm coming over a bit classic :thumbsup:

In fact there are very few watches I don't like.........:yes:

Davey P    5,714
1 hour ago, RWP said:

Mate, there are very few watches left that you don't already own! :laughing2dw:

SBryantgb    9,599
1 hour ago, RWP said:

My yearning for huge watches has diminished a bit ( shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh) and I'm coming over a bit classic :thumbsup:

You are a classic Rog :thumbsup:

SBryantgb    9,599
5 hours ago, JayDeep said:

I love stupid visual gimmicks and fall victim to fashion trends. I prioritize form over function.

I love big and bulky, and thousands of meters water resistance even though it's unlikely that I'll get it wet washing my hands.

I die for cool case backs, crazy crowns and over the top logos and etching. I absolutely love gimmicky push button mechanisms and crown guards and covers that stick out way too far from the watch. I even call them cool but they're usually absolutely functionless, or, worse, a hindrance to function.

I know, I'm pathetic. Any others willing to sacrifice themselves for the masses to laugh and shake their heads at?

I would book mark this thread and come back in a year JayDeep. A lot can change. When i joined it was big watches and only new. anything under 43mm seemed useless and felt wrong. Within a year my collection changed to only vintage. You would think that enough of a change, but I also despised watch straps...It was bracelets all the way. Now I find I'm buying and wearing them along side bracelets. 

If that's not enough all my watches had to be stainless... never gold. I have three gold ones now.:yes:

I'm now scared that come next December I will like Natos and God forbid silicon and or rubber straps. :bash:

RWP    13,843

In a few months you'll be wanting this

24868141476_915f006855_b.jpg

3 hours ago, SBryantgb said:

I would book mark this thread and come back in a year JayDeep. A lot can change. When i joined it was big watches and only new. anything under 43mm seemed useless and felt wrong. Within a year my collection changed to only vintage. You would think that enough of a change, but I also despised watch straps...It was bracelets all the way. Now I find I'm buying and wearing them along side bracelets. 

If that's not enough all my watches had to be stainless... never gold. I have three gold ones now.:yes:

I'm now scared that come next December I will like Natos and God forbid silicon and or rubber straps. :bash:

Oh dear :yes:

Karrusel    6,169
3 hours ago, SBryantgb said:

Excellent 'residuals' on vintage mechanicals but would recommend quartz to all collectors. :laugh:

JayDeep    1,401
7 hours ago, SBryantgb said:

I don't change that quickly. I've been into large diver and aviator watches for about 6 years now. And that's all I look for. Maybe in 20 years that will change, but definitely not 1.

And yes I too loathe gold. It's gaudy. Why I never wear the gold tone Invicta I bought years ago. A little bit of gold as contrast is stomachable, but only just barely.

And yes bracelets only. Rubber has a horrific texture and leather doesn't fill the lug gap of most round watches.

3 hours ago, gimli said:

OP you better start saving some money because this thing exists...:laugh:

88e45888c38753245db2a53fb5b59739.jpg

Lol Ingersoll makes one under 300. Lol I already plan to purchase.

SBryantgb    9,599

There is one thing I prefer in my watches and that's a proper raised emblem on the dial. I have seen a lot of nice Omegas and Longines etc but have not purchase because they are simply painted/silk screen. I feel it cheapens the brand.

Oh dear JayDeep, how I have suffered from the same disease as you are experiencing, and I have quite a number of watches in my collection to show for it. But I still love them all the same. As for £10 Seiko 5 automatics, I say bring them on. I would certainly buy them at that price and wouldn't be afraid to wear them. In term,s of materials used in watches, I do tend to look for stainless steel cases but many older watches and cheaper new ones are in plated base metal. Chrome is brighter but nickel is more subtle as a plating metal and I prefer the latter. Also, there is nothing wrong with gold plate or rolled gold if it has some quality about it, and the technique of gold plating on stainless steel has now been mastered. I don't like rubber straps on fine quality watches, and I prefer leather straps in general. However, some watches just look right with a metal bracelet.

I am intrigued by that big Pulsar chronograph you show, Roger, because I have just bought a rather similar Pulsar model in a sale. The box that my Pulsar came in was of an older type than is usually provided and the chronograph seems to have a mechanical feel about it. I am wondering if it contains a Seiko mechaquartz chrono movement but as I have only just bought it, and would probably have difficulty trying to unscrew the back with my bad arm, I don't want to take the back off. The pushers are very distinctive and the watch comes in different colourways, including a blue and rose gold version:

51hGLQpQ3oL._AC_UL260_SR200,260_.jpg

(Pic from amazon.com)

The sweep hand acts as the chrono 0.2 second timer, and remains static in normal timekeeping mode, when the lower seconds register is used for passing seconds.  There is a very different feel when one pushes the chrono buttons and the chrono sweep flies back mechanically on resetting.

In passing, I must mention my continuing concern with Pulsar quality control. I wanted to buy the rather nice airman style Pulsar chrono that features a retrograde tenth of a second timer, but the one I looked at in Argos the other day was faulty with no proper chrono resetting and with a fault in the retrograde 0.1 second register. I also continue to notice a lot of play in the crown when setting the hands, which doesn't give one a lot of confidence.

AVO    3,045

@JayDeep  I think you and I must be polar opposites. I like my watches small, neat, unobtrusive and expensive!:laugh:

JayDeep    1,401
41 minutes ago, AVO said:

@JayDeep  I think you and I must be polar opposites. I like my watches small, neat, unobtrusive and expensive!:laugh:

Lol yes sir, sounds like it. My father always used to say I like boat anchors for watches.

The problem is, dear AVO, when you love them all! That's when  collecting really becomes utter madness. No wonder I'm on various psychotropic medications....:laugh:

Karrusel    6,169
13 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

The problem is, dear AVO, when you love them all! That's when  collecting really becomes utter madness. No wonder I'm on various psychotropic medications....:laugh:

Chuck 'em away, they didn't work for me. :laugh:

AVO    3,045
6 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

Ah but you see, Honour, I don't love them all. I disagree fundamentally with Jay on the question of gold, leather, size...just about everything really. Isn't it good that there are enough different watches to go round for all of us?

@JayDeep If we ever meet we'll drink many beers,   but we must NEVER try to sell each other a watch! :laugh:

mel    1,349
On 11/01/2017 at 17:40, BondandBigM said:

08092010581.jpg

SL270665.jpg

SL270643.jpg

:)

Taste at last Commander! a TIMEX joins the flock (AKA Nautica) - - quality, Man, pure quality! :clap:

BondandBigM    6,718
22 minutes ago, mel said:

Taste at last Commander! a TIMEX joins the flock (AKA Nautica) - - quality, Man, pure quality! :clap:

It came in a nice set, it's actually a decent watch and yes I've got a Nautica jumper and a coat to go with it.

:laugh: :laugh:

image_zpsxmq5sd7f.jpg

tixntox    287

My problem is that I have watches that I have bought and never worn ............................... yet still keep them! :(

mel    1,349
19 minutes ago, tixntox said:

My problem is that I have watches that I have bought and never worn ............................... yet still keep them! :(

That is by NO means any sort of exclusive club, like others' I've watches I bought and put away --  - -  - -  somewheres?  :whistle:  :yes: