• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
scottswatches

Drinks tracker

24 posts in this topic

I like a drink. Lager, beer, red wine and especially whiskey (Islay malts especially). But as I was not sleeping too well I decided to cut back. I wasn't getting hammered every night - far from it - but I needed to try something to stop the insomnia. 

I had decided to cut back the booze to try it. Then, about a week later, a study revealed that 80% of middle aged people were drinking too much. As I was already turning down the pop a bit I downloaded the drinks tracker app from public health England. Their guidelines are 14 units for men a week. The BRitish Medical Association, whose members knock back more than most, suggest 21 units. Week one, after cutting back (probably by half if I am honest) I was at 23.7 units. I had no idea before. 

Week two was 16.4 units

and I am sleeping far better

is anyone else trying the app?

this isn't a preachy "STOP DRINKING " thread. I have a glass of wine in my hand now! But it will be the one, not the three I would have had before. Is the app helping anyone else?

( my family have a history of alcoholism, so I know I was not close to being an alcoholic. I was just enjoying it too much, and it became routine to pour a large whiskey at 8pm, if I hadn't had wine with dinner.  I suspect many other people are doing the same)

As I fall outside the middle age bracket (only just) these guidelines I'm happy to say....do not apply. :biggrin:

2 people like this

Being stuck in a wheelchair I found I have piled the weight on dont get me wrong I do not eat a lot but I do not get enough exercise also I was drinking that bit too much and for me it was lager . 

So I have quit the lager and decided to drink once a week but vodka or gin as it is less fattening 

only done this since Jan 1st so will report back in a week or two 

1 person likes this

I run around like a blue bottomed fly, and am still piling the weight on  :laugh:

maybe a little fewer liquid calories might help. But I had a pizza with my single glass of red wine tonight so maybe not!

1 person likes this

all you have done is made me realise I don't have a glass of red wine in my hand :yes:

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, SBryantgb said:

all you have done is made me realise I don't have a glass of red wine in my hand :yes:

Ditto.......now where's the staff? :thumbsup:

1 person likes this

I suppose I might be what you would call a 'binge drinker'. I have nothing from Sunday lunchtime until the following Friday night as I have to drive every week day and can't afford to be caught by the morning Plod patrols. Friday night, I'll probably do half a litre of Bombay, and the same on Saturday, but that's it.:alcoholic:

Trouble is, I've been doing this for so many years, that I never, ever feel drunk. I never get that 'buzz' that I used to feel anymore, and I certainly never have a 'hangover'.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I suppose I might be what you would call a 'binge drinker'. I have nothing from Sunday lunchtime until the following Friday night as I have to drive every week day and can't afford to be caught by the morning Plod patrols. Friday night, I'll probably do half a litre of Bombay, and the same on Saturday, but that's it.:alcoholic:

Trouble is, I've been doing this for so many years, that I never, ever feel drunk. I never get that 'buzz' that I used to feel anymore, and I certainly never have a 'hangover'.

Red wine for me Roger (doctor said the antioxidants was good for me) but most day's I do enjoy a nice 'GIN' & tonic before dinner......yum yum! :yes:

I lose count after about three bottles.

:laugh: :laugh:

A few years back I drank bottles of Vodka for fun and then went out for the night. I was in the boozer 7 nights a week and at the weekend they were 12 hour shifts and then a trip into town.

I've cut way back these days, a couple of litre bottles does me for the weekend now and a few tins during the week, currently supping a nice cold Oranjeboom.

I rarely go out during the week these days mainly because my local only opens at the weekend.

:partytime:

The weight thing is easy, forget all the nonsense fad diets an so on.

Just eat less and I guarantee you'll lose weight. 

:biggrin:

2 people like this

I drink because alcohol is a preservative. drink_zpsbwkd0xvf.gif

2 people like this

7 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Just eat less and I guarantee you'll lose weight. 

:biggrin:

Forget all the fad diets.....you just hit the nail on the head, Bond. 

I once mentioned to a fat lass that she was a bit 'chunky'...

'Tell me something I don't know' she wimpered at me.....

'Salad tastes nice' I replied......

3 people like this

:laugh:

Did she call an ambulance for you?

1 person likes this

cut my drinking down quite a bit over the last year'sh. usual stuff - one or two after work or on a quiet weekend , bottle or two of red wine on a friday night , bottle of malt lucky to last 2 weekends every now and again.

now its the very occasional beer and a bottle on special occasions only - saw a good drop off in weight - with i should add not significant change in diet just being aware.

started training again properly in october - and lost just over half a stone - put 2 lbs back on over xmas - which i have just lost again.   sleeping better but also making efforts to be less work stressed. the training (road running and rowing machine) is helping with that too. seem to be losing between 1 and 2 lbs a week on average.

and i won a quiz - bloody hell, the new me is awesome :thumbsup: 

not using any apps - though i do use a tomtom runners watch.

I used to take a good amount of wine every night, until Christmas and new year time 2015 I had a stinking cold and the booze made me ill. That motivated me to cut right back, and it's worked well. I think it's better to focus on quality rather than quantity. A glass of a decent red wine or a little scotch or brandy... lovely. Drinking less has the benefit you can either save that cash, or use it to upgrade the quality of the booze. Either way's a winner.

1 person likes this

I used to swallow half a bottle of red wine every night, then half a bottle of malt on a Friday and Saturday night, then I had an RTA and lost a kidney, for a few months after that I was terrified to take a during, however, I soon got back in the swing, now I don't drink at all on school nights (with the occasional exception of a mess dinner) and have some wine or whisky at the weekend.

I find I sleep much better and feel far better rested after a sleep unaffected by booze.

Hmm. I attended a doctor's appointment and was asked about my alcohol intake. On supplying the information I was told that was far too much for weekly consumption, and that this amount was probably the cause of my "complaint".

I bit my lip, and did not disclose the fact it was my daily intake. Went home and NEVER touched another drop. Fifteen years now.

2 people like this

'Dry January' is going pretty well for me....I've had a couple of bottles of dry white wine, and last Sunday, I had a dry Martini or two..........:yes::thumbsup:

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

'Dry January' is going pretty well for me....I've had a couple of bottles of dry white wine, and last Sunday, I had a dry Martini or two..........:yes::thumbsup:

yea.... celebration time then

dancing-girl-460x510.gif

Edited by SBryantgb
1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

So no ESSO blue then?

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

So no ESSO blue then?

That's for Friday and Saturday nights.....:laugh:

Just now, Roger the Dodger said:

That's for Friday and Saturday nights.....:laugh:

did I show you my new watch winder?

giphy.gif

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, SBryantgb said:

yea.... celebration time then

dancing-girl-460x510.gif

1 minute ago, SBryantgb said:

did I show you my new watch winder?

giphy.gif

I see your lovely dancing girls, Steve, and raise you my new case buffer........:yes:
image7_zpse536b2c1.gif

2 people like this

Have you pogued that one?

10 minutes ago, SBryantgb said:

Have you pogued that one?

No, but I've got Holly practicing..........:whistle:
Holly.gif

1 person likes this