UK Watch Forum banner

Hardlex vs sapphire

14K views 59 replies 17 participants last post by  artistmike 
#1 ·
Hi , after advice and is it worth it ?

Just bought a new Seiko prospex solar Air diver with black / blue bezel ,( SSC017P1)

ok not the most expensive watch but loved the look of it ... it has Seiko Hardlex Crystal... question , is this any good ???? And I know it all depends on what I do , how I look after it ...

i have a 10 yr old TIssot T Race , that has sapphire Crystal and is as new as the day I bought it ... ok , I don't wear it that often which helps , but bought the Seiko as a more daily watch .. comparing them together , the TISSOT sapphire glass has a much better lustre than the Seiko and that is brand new , ,,,

Could I find somewhere who can replace the Crystal with a sapphire type ??? Would it be worth it ... I just don't know the quality of this Hardlex stuff , is it of quality ? I looking at the sapphire on the Tissot , it looks a better glass

I see the top end Seiko actually use sapphire !

Cheers for any advice you can give me ...

rob

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Rob, welcome to the forum.

The Hardlex can get scratched, if you are unlucky, but I don't think there is much chance you could break it.

Given the price of the air diver, I would only consider swapping the crystal if I happened to ding the old one badly.

Here is mine, with scratch just next to the hour hand, mainly visible as a shadow on the dial. I decided to leave it in the end (it is a diver after all) Perhaps it could even be polished out?

Keep in mind that if a sapphire crystal is dead flat, then you won't get the interesting refraction around the perimeter, so it might look a bit lifeless in comparison.

P1030434.jpg

#3 ·
Cheers for that , yes , that's what the wife is saying , " if it's not broke don't fix it " !!!

Is yours a domed glass ? This is flat on this prospex , I'm new to Seiko I'm afraid , although I know there a good watch ...

im a fuss pot at heart and like things perfect .. but yes as you say , wait , and if it gets a knock .. I got it at a sale price of £205 down from £279.00 ( high street ) I did see it at 190.00 on the favourite auction site but wanted it from a shop with its warranty !

I think that was a good price ..don't know much about the solar power on these either and how good it is .. was good reading lol

cheers again for the info

#6 ·
You might be able to get an aftermarket sapp for it. I found some easily for Seiko monsters at about £30 from some Chinese firm. I only planned to do it after the hardlex became aged and old looking, would not bother at new state. Not sure if they make them for that particular model but google some key words and see if you can find anything.

#7 ·
Sapphire is near impossible to scratch but more brittle, thus prone to cracking or shattering if dropped wrong or from too high up.

Hardlex is basically a hardened mineral crystal. Seiko's own. Not a lot can scratch it but it can be scratched by more materials than sapphire can. Flip side of that coin is that it's less brittle and very very unlikely to crack or shatter.

I used to be a snob with watches. Swiss only. Sapphire only. Etc. But I've come to find that any mineral crystal is fine and suitable. Unless you're a complete klutz bumping into many hard surfaces with sharp edges, your watch crystal will stay clear from scratches.

Now would I prefer sapphire, yes absolutely. I've never seen or heard of a single case on one cracking or shattering where I have seen a mineral crystal scratched. But for the cost, it's just not worth it. That's my take on the subject.

#11 ·
The edge of my SNKG09J has chipped from some impact and there is also a scratch across the face of the Hardlex from two separate incidents and although it's a daily wear watch I'm not especially clumsy and these happened within a year of owning.

I'll be ordering a replacement glass (sapphire if I can) and the tools to fit it soon.

#14 ·
Excuse the attempt of a pic !!!

Yes , I have mailed a few online stores , got replies today , none of them would be able to do this as don't have one for this model , weather because it's new I don't know ... I don't think the actual model is that new ..mine be it the face lift as has the prospex logo in place of the word solar , and solar has been moved to the bottom of the dial , apart from that I think it's the same , but as said , how old is this model ... I see a few mention not worth it because of cost ...what we talking here ?? I'm thinking 100.00 all in ..

yes that does really outweigh the price in a way as watch retail at 279.00 , did get for £ 205 sale price from the goldsmiths store ...

i want to wear this more than I do the Tissot but just don't want it ending up scratched ... and as now see comments regarding. For and against and for seems to come out tops , I think I will persue this .. I shall keep hunting ...I guess I could always source the parts needed myself then get a jeweller to do this ...

#19 ·
Sapphire every time. I have marked every softex crystal on every Seiko that I have ever owned. Currently only one Seiko and it has sapphire.

Have never ever managed to put a mark on any sapphire crystal on any watch that I have ever owned.

Either sapphire or acrylic is the way to go crystal-wise. Softex is the worst if both worlds , marks too easily and cannot be polished out.

Have dropped and bashed various sapphire fitted timepieces but never with any harm to the crystal. I don't mind a bit of wabi to the case or strap but a damaged crystal is a big no no for me.

Des.

#22 ·
I have never had a problem with Hardlex used by Seiko though I do understand how many will be put off by any kind of mineral crystal as once scratched you may as well replace. My guess Seiko use Hardlex in their divers as its more fit for purpose for a divers watch over sapphire long before the days when a divers watch were worn on the understanding they didn't go near water and were used only to post "lume shots" on watch forums or removed from wrist (so as not to scratch the bracelet) and placed on an office desk.

I would never be put off buying a Seiko because it had Hardlex crystal but I may be put off from buying from another brand using mineral crystal especially when used on dress watches.

#25 ·
Would agree sapphire is the way to go, and all my decent watches have it. That said i've shattered 3 over the years, which can get expensive, not least getting the glass out of the movement, and one (about 10 years ago) got very badly scratched - mainly from scrapping on quartz and granite rocks whilst kayaking, so don't believe all that is said about them being scratch proof - they ain't.

#28 ·
Well many thanks for all the replies... and yes as I thought ..just need to find someone who can fo it ..all Replies so far from jewellers , W/makers is " sorry , wouldn't have a crystal to fit , or " sorry , don't work with these " !

I have found soneone on fleabay. Guy in hong kong, ( Crystaltimes) , he has a sapphire to fit , as quoted him the model , the domed blue type looks nice and would look nice on this ... states perfect fit ...

but would need someone to fit this for me ...

anyone know of any jewellers who would do this ????

#29 ·
You can get just about any size of crystal (diameter and thickness) from Cousins - just had a new one fitted whilst the watch was in for a service, and repairer ordered it once he had the old one out and could measure it to get it exact - would have thought the Seiko would be a standard size and not too hard to source. Cost anything up to £30 + fitting and pressure testing (assuming you are worried about water usage)

#52 ·
Wow , opened up a large can wriggling ones with didn't I just !!!

Well ive given up looking to have this done now as see a replacement would need to come from Oe supplier , who wouldn't supply as the model dosnt have it in the first place ... Also told , an aftermarket , would need to be precise , plus also told !!! Will not fit an aftermarket supplied from the customer that has not been supplied from themselves ....

im no expert by a long shot , just Jo average , who's bought this and would like it to be better lasting ,and as said , like my 10 year old Tissot T Race and is mint , that has sapphire And that watch was under £500 !!!

I signed up on here as thought would be the way to get info on getting it done ... seems to difficult or rather " not going to happen " now done doing my searching and mailing watchmakers etc ...

but it's nice to see I'm not alone regards preference of the Crystals

many thanks for all varied replies on this ....

Sapphire ???

#31 ·
I just can't see how it could happen and so often as the claims here would make it seem. The majority of my watches employ mineral crystals, which are commonly regarded as subpart to even hardlex. I've not scratched a single one, ever. The bracelets on them definitely show major desk wear and even the cases have scratches and dents and look terrible. So my watches have seen it all. Bumps in the door jam. Exchanged blows with table edges and corners. Etc.

I definitely avoid rubbing them against brick walls and digging through gravel pits with them on. Maybe I'm just not as active a guy?

I've only ever managed to scratch the outside AR coating on a sapphire before and to this day will not buy a watch with external AR coating. Terrible idea.

So no accusations here, just can't comprehend how it could happen based on my very long term and multiple experiences.

#33 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just can't see how it could happen and so often as the claims here would make it seem. The majority of my watches employ mineral crystals, which are commonly regarded as subpart to even hardlex. I've not scratched a single one, ever. The bracelets on them definitely show major desk wear and even the cases have scratches and dents and look terrible. So my watches have seen it all. Bumps in the door jam. Exchanged blows with table edges and corners. Etc.

I definitely avoid rubbing them against brick walls and digging through gravel pits with them on. Maybe I'm just not as active a guy?

I've only ever managed to scratch the outside AR coating on a sapphire before and to this day will not buy a watch with external AR coating. Terrible idea.

So no accusations here, just can't comprehend how it could happen based on my very long term and multiple experiences.
I agree with your view regarding AR externaly.

No accusations here either though I can't understand your inability to comprehend how such damage can happen considering your long term and multiple experiences.

#37 ·
Why the hell would you take a Ferrari off road?

Right tools for the job is what I am getting at!

I saw your mention of G-Shocks but as they use neither hardlex or sapphire it didn't seem relavent !

#43 ·
You know, the only real redeeming quality to Seiko's, as far as I'm concerned, is that so many of them are highly customizable. Yobokies provides sapphire crystal replacement for dozens of popular Seiko divers.

I've used them before and they were amazing.

I'm no advocate for mineral crystals of any kind. Never have been. Sapphire all the way. I wish everyone would just move on to using sapphire solely, but they want to make money and I don't blame them. So they provide affordable options with lower quality crystal and sapphire in their higher quality pieces.

Also allows the snobs to keep their illustrious pedigree so their egos remain completely intact.

Not calling out anyone specific but I do believe at least 80% of online claims of Hardlex or mineral scratching is absolute lies birthed from said snobbery. But I've been wrong before, like once or twice a year it happens. Maybe this year I'm starting off early.

#49 ·
I'm no advocate for mineral crystals of any kind. Never have been. Sapphire all the way. I wish everyone would just move on to using sapphire solely, but they want to make money and I don't blame them. So they provide affordable options with lower quality crystal and sapphire in their higher quality pieces.
Personally I'm damned glad my speedmaster professional does not have a sapphire crystal. Firstly it means that it can be repaired easily should it need it, and secondly, a lot of watch enthusiasts also buy for looks and sapphire doesn't always work with a certain design.

#45 ·
Factual? As if! 'stand by for this one' (that quote is patronising in case you don't know how you come across) as you say :laugh:

Practice what you preach. Where did I mention the grade of the steel in my watch?

You did not ask for and niether did I offer such information. Fantasy.

BTW multiple edits due to old tablet playing up. Any other non factual conclusions you would like to jump to?

So you have noticed I don't like hardlex, well done! What other reason do I need other than personal experience with the stuff and also taking into account what many on here have already said about the stuff over the years.

#46 ·
Factual? As if! 'stand by for this one' (that quote is patronising in case you don't know how you come across) as you say :laugh:

Practice what you preach. Where did I mention the grade of the steel in my watch?

You did not ask for and niether did I offer such information. Fantasy.

BTW multiple edits due to old tablet playing up. Any other non factual conclusions you would like to jump to?

So you have noticed I don't like hardlex, well done! What other reason do I need other than personal experience with the stuff and also taking into account what many on here have already said about the stuff over the years.
Jesus wept another one!

Patronizing in your opinion only, you don't like facts, your problem not mine.

You mention you know the grade of steel, on a watch forum its reasonable to believe you are referring to a watch.

Not fantasy, just not interested.

Not interested in what electronic device you happen to use either but thanks for clearing that up.

I don't care what you like or dislike (I may have mentioned this before but I will say it again anyway) I am simply stating the facts of the use of a watch material and the reasons for it not the rational of a clumsy individual who doesn't like something because he keeps breaking his watches. The facts are quite simple, hardlex is not only fit for purpose its there for a specific reason and has been for years. No amount of silly comparisons to cars, tyres, or kitchen knives is going to change that nor the poor care of a watch by its owner.

#48 ·
'Not calling out anyone specific but I do believe at least 80% of online claims of Hardlex or mineral scratching is absolute lies birthed from said snobbery.'

For which you have absolutely no evidence or reason to suppose that the claim is true. Calling members of this forum liars, on no evidence, is not likely to endear you much here either.

'But I've been wrong before,'

You surprise me....

'like once or twice a year it happens. Maybe this year I'm starting off early.'

It would certainly seem so

#56 ·
'Not calling out anyone specific but I do believe at least 80% of online claims of Hardlex or mineral scratching is absolute lies birthed from said snobbery.'

For which you have absolutely no evidence or reason to suppose that the claim is true. Calling members of this forum liars, on no evidence, is not likely to endear you much here either.

'But I've been wrong before,'

You surprise me....

'like once or twice a year it happens. Maybe this year I'm starting off early.'

It would certainly seem so
I call everything as I see it. If nobody is lying then they have no reason to be offended, unless they want to be. That would be odd indeed.

I think you meant I have no evidence or reason to claim the statements UNtrue. For which I refer you to my multiple personal experiences. I will always take my own experiences over words on the internet from people I don't know at all. Thus I have overwhelming reason.

But, again, I'll always admit I could be wrong. Even if such is the case nobody died in the making of this error, so I'm good with it.

#54 ·
Don't forget Seiko's very short lived Sapphlex crystal.

Employed this in their high end watches. Claimed it provided the scratch resistance of Sapphire while maintaining the shatter proof qualities of Hardlex and mineral crystals. It was a thin layer of Sapphire bonded to and atop of the standard Hardlex. It was garbage from day one. A large majority of them failed to bond properly and came separated with a hard knock against something or when exposed to hit then cold temps, which many dive watches do frequently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.