UK Watch Forum banner

Dead Seiko quartz

5K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  chris_s 
#1 ·
I've an old Seiko, not sure of model, has just time and date - was my first 'proper' watch many moons ago.

The battery died some years ago and trying a new one has no effect. It's been sitting in a drawer for a few years unused. Are there any obvious or common things to try to bring it back to life? Can't see why the electronics would die just sitting doing nothing.

Any help gratefully received

#7 ·
Better source a new movement.
Aye - the movement on my Divex packed up recently.

I sourced a replacement VX42 movement including a stem and battery for less than £5 including postage...... the other good news is that it was from a UK seller on ebay (HS Walsh), so there was no waiting for weeks on end for it to arrive from China :yes:

#5 ·
What model number Chris?

I've had a few old Seiko quartz models that just need "coaxing" back to life, on a couple of old 7546 models the second hand just needed a little help with the first rotation and the watch is right as rain again.
As previously said, if you left the watch to run dead then the battery could well have leaked. It gives off a vapour once dead that coats and corrodes everything.

#8 ·
I think your problem is much simpler. You just have to short start the movement. (Google it)

Many movements actually require that you short start them when a new battery is being installed.
Same thing on Fossil watches, two contacts need to be shorted to make it go again, worth a try if its dead

#12 ·
Although this is a 7123 movement, these are the lub holes for the gear train (there the same under the dial) but it my be worth while applying a very small amount of lighter fuel, (and I mean a small amount ) to see if it release the gear train, good luck.......Bob.

SDC13565_zpsad34390b.jpg

#16 ·
Ah, I just found I had a 7546A technical guide. I believe the 7546 is effectively a 7545 with day and date. There does not seem to be an AC contact point.

The 7546A technical guide has some instructions on fault finding but it won't be much use unless you have the appropriate equipment.

You can see the guide here yourself: http://thewatchsite.com/files/Seiko Technical Manuals/7546A.pdf

#17 ·
I had a Seiko dress watch for years which my sister bought for me.

For some reason it fell out of favour And was left in a drawer, four years ago I decided to fit a new battery but sadly it did not work so I ended up sourcing a new movement which was difficult to find as it was a very thin Watch.

However I found a Ronda movement that fitted perfectly and four years on it is running well.

Best thing I ever did, that particular Watch cost my sister a considerable amount of money at the time and I consider it a treasured item.

£80 back in 1988 was a fair chunk of money.

And by the way at the time I did not know of such things as dress Watches so wore it every day work - rest - and pleasure and thinking about this it was and still is a pleasure to wear.

#18 ·
Most movements don't have the AC indicator of where to short start them. I believe you can just place the other tip of the tweezers or whatever you're using pretty much everywhere on the metal sides parts of the movement and at some point it should start. I don't think you can do any damage... That's how I started a Junghans once...

#21 ·
I had a dead quartz that turned out to be a faulty coil. Tested with a normal multimeter after looking up what it should be measuring. I ended up buying a similar movement from Cousins to use for parts, swaped the coil and a beautiful ticking could be heard. Coils are very easy to damage as I understand. Would it be worth your while looking up how to test yours? It might be easier than changing the whole movement if that is the problem.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Reactions: Pip
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.