UK Watch Forum banner

What would you guys consider an expensive watch not including your Rolex, One has, Tags etc?

2K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  SlimJim16v 
#1 ·
I was just wondering guys what would you consider as an expensive watch these days? The most I've ever paid for one is approx £580.00 and that's for the Bulova moon watch recently. I don't have the spare kind of money to buy the luxurious watches like the Rolex's of this world. So obviously my most expensive watch I've bought to date is pocket money compared to the higher market ones?

#6 ·
Ha ha completely agree with you all guys! I'm not saying there is a prticularbamount of money that's say cheap, but when I wear say my Seiko padi auto worth £350.00 and see someone at work wear there Omega Speedy I start feeling a bit inferior due to not being able to afford such luxury watches? However I suppose even if I did have a few grand spare to by a Speedy I probably wouldn't because I'm just not used to paying that kind of cash on a watch?! I sweated spending nearly £600.00 just on my Bulova lol

Can anyone tell me why I've got a small red circle at the right hand side of my watch forum page with a number 5 in it what does it mean please and how do I get rid of it thanks

#9 ·
Ha ha completely agree with you all guys! I'm not saying there is a prticularbamount of money that's say cheap, but when I wear say my Seiko padi auto worth £350.00 and see someone at work wear there Omega Speedy I start feeling a bit inferior due to not being able to afford such luxury watches? However I suppose even if I did have a few grand spare to by a Speedy I probably wouldn't because I'm just not used to paying that kind of cash on a watch?! I sweated spending nearly £600.00 just on my Bulova lol

Can anyone tell me why I've got a small red circle at the right hand side of my watch forum page with a number 5 in it what does it mean please and how do I get rid of it thanks
If you're buying new then I totally get that Pav, but look at it this way;

When you bought your Bulova at £600, you lost 60% of the value when you walked out of the shop. (no offence, it's a brand that depreciates like hell).
If you bought a good condition pre-owned Tag Monaco at £1200, or Omega Speedmaster at £2000, or a Rolex Submariner at £4000 etc etc - it's always going to be worth damn near what you paid for it.

Don't look at the high prices as money spent, look at it as an investing in an appreciating asset. (hint - wives don't tend to buy that argument) :(

#17 ·
It is unacceptable for me to wear watch more expensive than your car ( I have seen it )
I'd go one step further and call that decadent.

#24 ·
Depends what you get for your money I think. I'd say anything that's RRP is expensive!

Unfortunately/expensively for me, I also have an interest in cars... the one I've just changed depreciated £7.5K in 3 years - now that would have bought and expensive watch :0

#25 ·
First I must point out that this post is in the `Japanese Watches' section and therefor anyone who mentions a Swiss brand should face an immediate suspension from the forum until they have repented :clap: :rltrlt:

On that basis the most obvious would be the Grand Seiko range and especially their spring drive models. Although these can be priced at similar levels to some of the Swiss brands starting with R or O it is debatable if they are really `luxury' watches or just mid or upper-mid price.

Now I will have to face suspension myself by referring to non Japanese watches. You have Roger Smith who took over from George Daniels making all (maybe only most) parts of his watches which then have a price tag of maybe £100k or some of the Richard Mille watches which can cost over $1 million - makes the £4k to £6k ones look almost cheap. :whistle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.