UK Watch Forum banner

Damn snipers!

2K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  kevkojak 
#1 ·
Just missed out on another Pogue, with 1s left I had about £45 left of my max bid so thought should be ok. As it turned to zero seconds... I lost it by about £15. So annoying! (Although I possibly dodged one as could be very water damaged).

[emoji36][emoji36][emoji36]

I think I may knock eBay on head and just forum dive for it until one comes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I'm the same as you, Pip...been sniped at the last minute, and it's so disappointing, especially if you've been following the auction all the way though, only to be beaten by someone using a sniping programme. These days on eBay, I only go for BINs or 'make an offer'. That's how I got the Orca. At least you can see what price is expected, and if you can make an offer and it's accepted, so much the better. Good luck in your Pogue Quest! :thumbsup:

Reactions: Velizark0 and Pip
#6 ·
I'm the same as you, Pip...been sniped at the last minute, and it's so disappointing, especially if you've been following the auction all the way though, only to be beaten by someone using a sniping programme. These days on eBay, I only go for BINs or 'make an offer'. That's how I got the Orca. At least you can see what price is expected, and if you can make an offer and it's accepted, so much the better. Good luck in your Pogue Quest! :thumbsup:
Actually, I will add a tip here to those who like the 'chase'. (And I might be teaching G'mas to suck eggs here, but it's still a valid tip) Most bidders (unless they're savvy) will bid in round numbers. Try putting in a bid for a completely random figure....ie. £20.53....the extra pence will carry you over to the next level of bidding, and they might win it for you. Has worked for me in the past.

Reactions: Velizark0 and Pip
#5 ·
sorry, guilty as charged. :rolleyes:

Bought a watch last night at the very last second for £88. The underbidder was winning it at £35.25 before I bid, and their top bid was £87.99. I won by a penny :whistle:

I could almost hear the bad language they must have shouted!!!

But I don't use sniping software - that isn't playing the game. And I did try it many years ago and my computer got a nasty virus so I have stayed clear. If I had bid with five minutes to go the underbidder would have tried again, so I end up either missing out or paying more.

#7 ·
sorry, guilty as charged. :rolleyes:
Bought a watch last night at the very last second for £88. The underbidder was winning it at £35.25 before I bid, and their top bid was £87.99. I won by a penny :whistle:
I could almost hear the bad language they must have shouted!!
If that was a Pogue I'll give you £90, that's a clear £2 profit Scott!!! [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I try to bid what i do not want to go beyond plus a random pounds and pence, the RLT 53 from last week i bid £42.73 but in my head it was £40.00 the £2.73 being random and i got it at £26.00. :thumbsup:

The fact that i then brought a SS Oyster bracelet with what i saved is just a rumour. :nono:

Ok Ok i did :whistling:

Whateverrrrrr. :sadwalk:

Reactions: Pip
#17 ·
I try to bid what i do not want to go beyond plus a random pounds and pence, the RLT 53 from last week i bid £42.73 but in my head it was £40.00 the £2.73 being random and i got it at £26.00. :thumbsup:

The fact that i then brought a SS Oyster bracelet with what i saved is just a rumour. :nono:

Ok Ok i did :whistling:

Whateverrrrrr. :sadwalk:
Exactly what I do... except I bid in the last few seconds (whenever possible) so I can't increase my bid if I wasn't high enough.

#27 ·
i will admit to running up the price of an item only once. i bid on it (it was a seiko bullhead NOS case) and someone immediately came back and outbid me - and the auction JUST opened within the hour - and it had six days left to go. anyway, i bid again, like $120. outbid within the hour again. i went up to $175. this time i looked at the bidding. this fella was throwing bids out there, working his way up to see where i was. he outbid me again. i finally went up to $250 and left it. at the end of the auction, he outbid me for the win, but i was notified that the seller pulled the item because of an error.

i just wasn't gonna let that ******* outbid me so blatantly. i figured if he really wanted it, he was gonna really work for it and spend his greenbacks getting it.

o.k.....i'm over it now.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Trying to be clever, a couple of years ago, I left an odd amount for a boat part, of £111.11. Then went out for the evening.

Should have got it for around £100-£110.

I did win it but had to pay £132. WTF? How'd that happen?

When I checked, I had left one too many 1s............£1111.11...........DOH!!! :taz:

Rob....

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Trying to be clever, a couple of years ago, I left an odd amount for a boat part, of £111.11. Then went out for the evening.

Should have got it for around £100-£110.

I did win it but had to pay £132. WTF? How'd that happen?

When I checked, I had left one too many 1s............£1111.11...........DOH!!! :taz:

Rob....
Similarish story - years ago, before everybody was ebay, I was showing a mate how it worked. Bid on a guitar purely to show my mate how bidding worked, saying to my mate, "Don't worry, someone else will outbid me, it always happens."

Yes, I still have that guitar!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.