• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
vadiro

Oxidation under the bezel on Citizen automatic diver NY0040-09EE

vadiro    68

After having the watch continuously on my wrist for more than two weeks for my holiday, I have noticed some oxidation on the top part, under the bezel.

Which would be the best way of cleaning it?

Would ACF50, Anti Corrosive Spray (which I use for my motorcycle) be a good idea for this?

20160816_092918.jpg

gimli    1,466

Before going for strong chemical substances I would suggest you try baking powder and water. That's one way of clearing oxidation. Could also try toothpaste and water but not sure if it'll work with oxidation that much.

There's also paint thinner that clears bits of oxidation...

gimli    1,466

And be careful not to use, at least from the first try, a toothbrush or anything that will scratch the steel or remove the factory brushing/polishing texture... Just try it with a cloth first.

If I'm not mistaken, in the case of baking powder you need to let it sit on the area for a few minutes...

Edited by gimli

vadiro    68

I tried as you suggested, but with not much success.

At the end, after drying it, I applied some Anti Corrosive Spray with a paper tissue. This way I managed to remove most of the oxidation marks.

Now I would need another holiday to see if they will comeback :)

vinn    252

corrosion  on soft  metal is a bugger,   try baking soda and after rinse vinegar.  good luck  vinn

vinn    252

i am trying the pre mention corrosion bath.  soaked  a corded watch chain (silveroid) in baking soda.  the final test will be soaking  6%  vinegar.  if that dosen't work, ill try diluted acid,