• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Kutusov

(Re)learning Maths books?

9 posts in this topic

My education was always science oriented and I had the hardcore maths programe on my first 12 years of school. Those years are long gone and I wasn't very good at it to start with. I knew by memory alone the rules on how to solve some exercise but no idea what or why that was done that way. No idea on how to solve a problem if I first had to translate it to mathematical language. 

I do want to pick up on this but I need a) a refresher on maths rules and exercise solving b)something that explains me what the hell Maths is and the hows and whys. I feel like those catholic kids that have to learn the Latin mass but don't speak Latin/Jewish kids who don't speak Hebrew/Muslim than don't speak Arabic. Just have to memorize some weird speech and learn when to babble it. I'm too old now to be able to do that.        

Someone pointed this book out to me   https://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Content-Methods-Meaning-Dover/dp/0486409163/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E89BPFZXW28TKH643WT9 but wondering if anyone has any other suggestions, know this book and might have an opinion on it or, more importantly, can point out what I should be minding and might not be considering. 

Cheers!  

One problem with Maths is that it evolves quite rapidly. I studied Pure and Applied Maths at A level but that was about 50 years ago. Since then I married and had a family and could still help my lads with their maths. After a 20 year gap we had another son, who is now 20, and that makes it about 30 years between me taking A levels and him doing the same.

Quite honestly, I was stumped when he needed help as it was so different to what I studied. Even looking at the examples in his text books did not help as it was virtually a new language .

Rather than buy a book, you might be better off finding a maths graduate who could give  one-to-one tuition just to see if what you want to achieve is possible.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the heads up! Well, wouldn't even know who to ask that is available. I'll just try looking at the Maths of "my time" and see if my interest remains.

It seems true what you say about things moving rapidly even at a basic level. I had to apply to something not long ago and it involved a mathematical skill test. I could do it but I noticed it couldn't possibly be done in the allotted time, at least not by going about things the way I was taught. So I got an exercise book with a breakdown of the process of going about the problems and it was a WTF from page 20 to 200. Just a bunch of general rules of clever ways to put things down in equations form that I never heard about. Luckly it didn't matter because other people never heard of it also and the score was crap but slightly better crap than most. :laugh:   

I'm not sure it's changed much, not at the level of up to University. The modern advances are at the high end. Learner maths will be different in teaching styles or methodology.

But I may be wrong.

You could look at online courses, like Wikiversity and there's a European-wide one who's name escapes me. They offer free courses, which might be just the ticket.

1 person likes this

On 20/07/2016 at 20:19, ABaird3 said:

You could look at online courses, like Wikiversity and there's a European-wide one who's name escapes me. They offer free courses, which might be just the ticket.

Thanks! See? Had no idea such things even existed! :thumbsup:

In Britain we have library`s. I have never actually been abroad in my life so have no idea what the hell is in Portugal but if you have library`s then you should be able to get dozens of maths learning books from 2 + 2 all the way to masters degree level.

Hi,

Why not check youtube for maths lessons.

1 minute ago, xellos99 said:

In Britain we have library`s. I have never actually been abroad in my life so have no idea what the hell is in Portugal but if you have library`s then you should be able to get dozens of maths learning books from 2 + 2 all the way to masters degree level.

We do have libraries, believe it or not!! :partytime: And they do have tons of books, that's why I was asking for recommendations for my specific goal. I still have my old ones from school but it just teaches you how to work with equations, integrals, etc. No explanation on why or what they are that way. I was more interested in that than the mechanical aspect of Maths.  

9 minutes ago, bry1975 said:

Hi,

Why not check youtube for maths lessons.

Hey! Any good channel you'd recommend?