• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Krispy

HOW TO POST A PICTURE ON THE FORUM (NEW FOR 2016)

24 posts in this topic

The guide below is aimed at non Gallery Members who are using external photo hosting sites to store their images.  If you are a forum Gallery Member, please see here for a guide on uploading images to the forum Gallery and inserting them into your posts:

The following guide is aimed to help you post your own pictures on the forum or pictures from other websites.  It is written with the Windows / PC user in mind but should give enough pointers to users of other devices.

POSTING YOUR OWN PICTURES

Before you can post one of your own pictures on the forum, your picture(s) must be hosted somewhere on the web.  There are many free picture hosting services available, some of the common ones are Photobucket, Flickr, Imgur and Post Image which this guide will cover. Other hosting services are available or you may use your own web hosting environment, if you have one.  Basically, anything that can store your picture and generate a URL for it.

Please note the use of BBcode ([ IMG ], [ URL ], etc) or HTML (<a-ref>) is not needed on this forum, just the URL of your picture.

Assuming your picture is already hosted, log in to your Photobucket, Flickr, Imgur or Post Image account in a new browser tab or window.

On the forum 

Create a new topic or click in the text box beneath an existing topic to reply and place your cursor where you want your picture to appear.  It's best to do this on a new line, without any text to the left or right of where the image will be placed.  

18_zps6mrsgwbw.jpg

Now you need to retrieve the URL of your picture from your picture hosting account.  To do that...

Using Photobucket

1. In your library, open the image you want to post.  To the right of your picture, you should see the 'SHARE THIS PHOTO' section.

2_zpsynuyf7ve.jpg

2. Click your mouse in the box labelled 'Direct'
  3. The box should go yellow and display 'copied'.  This has now copied your picture's URL to your clipboard.

3_zpsseix455i.png

4. Now scroll down this guide past the Using Imgur section to the Back on the forum section and continue from there

(See here for how to use the Photobucket mobile website and App)

Using Flickr

Your picture's privacy settings must be set to 'public' for them to display on the forum.  To do this, select 'Public' as the Viewing privacy option in the Addition info section at the bottom of the Flickr page.

24_zpss9vpzdfu.jpg

1. In your library, open the image you want to post.  To the bottom of your picture, click on the up arrow icon

14_zpseurq2qf7.jpg

2. On the sharing tab of the popup which opens, copy the link while it is highlighted in blue to your clipboard by pressing the Ctrl and V buttons on your keyboard at once or right clicking on it with your mouse and selecting 'Copy'

15_zps8ftnwkvp.jpg

3. Now scroll down this guide past the Using Imgur section to the Back on the forum section and continue from there

Using Post Image

1. Find and open the image you want to post.  At the bottom of your picture, you should see a 'Show codes' link, click on this and the following should appear:

12_zps0kwoai6u.jpg

2. Click your mouse on 'copy to clipboard' next the box labelled 'Direct Link'
  3. The box should now confirm you have copied your picture's URL to your clipboard.

13_zpssfz9sikb.jpg
  4. Now scroll down this guide past the Using Imgur section to the Back on the forum section and continue from there

Using Imgur

1. In your library, open the image you want to post.  To the right of your picture, you should see the 'Swith the community' section.
  2. Click your mouse in the box that says 'Direc Link (email & im)'

10_zpsb5mmp3o2.jpg

3. The box should go green.  This has now copied your picture's URL to your clipboard.

11_zps2t9sk6na.jpg

Back on the forum

1. Place the cursor where you want your picture to display in your new topic or reply.
  2. Paste your picture's URL into your new topic or reply by pressing the Ctrl and V buttons together on your keyboard or right clicking with your mouse and selecting paste.

17_zps3doaecjr.jpg

3. Your picture's URL will first display as a link...

4_zpsoxffmk0m.png

4. ...before displaying your picture:

6_zpsr6pz27d9.jpg

5. If it remains as a link, press enter to move your cursor away from the link and it should then convert it into a picture. If it doesn't then the link is invalid and one of us went wrong somewhere in the above!

POSTING AN IMAGE FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE (OR ANOTHER THREAD ON THE FORUM)

Any image already displayed any where on the web can be inserted into your new topic or reply.

To do this:

1. Open the webpage with the image you want to insert displaying
  2. Right click on the image and select 'Copy image address' (Chrome); 'Copy image location' (Firefox); 'Copy' (Internet Explorer)

16_zpseudzq9yb.jpg
  3. Go back to the forum and place the cursor where you want the picture to display in your new topic or reply.

4. Paste the picture's URL into your new topic or reply by pressing the Ctrl and V buttons together on your keyboard or right clicking with your mouse and selecting paste.

8_zpsscwvow1e.png

5. The picture should now display in your new topic or reply

19_zpsi8qexe3s.jpg

Please use this thread to add tips for other devices or to correct me if any of the above is wrong. Please also use it to practice posting your pictures.

:)

2 people like this

On an I Pad with Flickr choose the image from Flickr, choose " share"and then copy url.

On the reply to topic press the paste button or touch the screen until paste appears. The image should appear.

Ignore any other options.

Edited by RWP

In Dropbox, the best way I've found is to:

1. Open the picture you want to post on the forum in Dropbox
  2. Right click on the picture and select 'Copy image' in Chrome or Firefox, or select 'Copy' in IE
  3. Return to the forum and paste the link into your post: HM183nQwcIFtc1PrTIOCRe4rIUK8wBaWKcgqD-g2

As for Google Drive, it doesn't appear to generate a URL that points directly to your image so the forum doesn't know what to do with the sharing link (other than display the link).  More info here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/drive/Xm_mnQ1RYZo

I  use the PicsArt app on the desk top : 1) Click edit and choose picture. Save picture

2) Go to profile page click add picture and choose picture you just saved, let it download

3) Choose picture from personal libary, go to three dot symbol on right hand side, left click copy image URL right click

4)  Back to TWF right click and choose paste with left click to insert photo.

Hope this may help anyone struggling. 

Paul.

With only having a cheap phone i managed to take this picture, download it onto App save it and save to personal profile it went straight to desktop app from where i was able to complete steps 3 and 4.

204809074001202.png

On 6/13/2016 at 17:25, Krispy said:

As for Google Drive, it doesn't appear to generate a URL that points directly to your image so the forum doesn't know what to do with the sharing link (other than display the link).  More info here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/drive/Xm_mnQ1RYZo

I store all my photos in Google Drive..but if you then go into Google Photos and enable the option that allows Google Drive photos to display in Google Photos...you end up with a Google Photo URL that does seem to work....assuming you can see a pic below of bluebells etc.

5a-dN9ZFv5YBq1lvQw_M2Ag7II8xas8PF-xmzdsQ

1 person likes this

Had a tidy up (hope the posters won't mind) to just leave stuff relating to posting a picture.  Feel free to keep using this thread to practice though.

Here's how to use the Photobucket mobile website and App.

USING THE PHOTOBUCKET WEBSITE ON A MOBILE PHONE

1. mob1_zps0ffwvl2u.jpg

2. mob2_zpsfzaa3ak5.jpg

3. mob3_zpsw6zzxyrs.jpg

4. Now return to the forum and paste the link into your reply

USING THE PHOTOBUCKET APP

1. app1_zpsdqhstqqj.jpg

2. app2_zpsssix7dmg.jpg

3. app3_zpsqkzto5qs.jpg

4. Now return to the forum and paste the link into your reply

INSERTING GALLERY IMAGES INTO POSTS FROM THE FORUM GALLERY (GALLERY MEMBERS ONLY)

1. When creating a new topic or replying, click the 'Insert other media' button in the bottom right of the reply box and select 'Insert existing attachment':

attachments.jpg

2. Then select your image(s) from the gallery and click 'Insert selected':

gallery.JPG

3. The images or images you selected will be added wherever your cursor is at the time.

1 person likes this

A bit of advice/help please.

I use Amazon drive for storing my photos etc. I only use two forums, but for whatever reason the pics I post here only seem to stay "up" for a couple of days. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

U can post pictures directly from instagram as I found earlier. Top right of screen it'll say copy URL. paste on here and done.

Just practising! b4c22fbc76405e1dc53533ca2133656f.jpg

Moving up a gear...or several gears

Hi @Bob1971 Hit the share button on the bottom right corner of flickr, and the share screen comes up with the code https://flic.kr/p/QMJgdU

this needs to be cut and pasted into the thread, (ctrl c to cut, ctrl p to paste)

I see. I'll have another go. 

Watch face and hands

aha! 

I think the difference is I was trying to select and post several photos in one go. Needs to be one at a time...thanks for showing me. 

1 person likes this

another go...gah! looks like it has to come from photo stream, not camera roll within flickr. Back to other post...

Disassembly...

Testing 

Just testing

1 person likes this

I tried both Imgur and Instagram and I could paste the links but the images didn't appear on my piost. Can someone explain to me how to go about it?

And once again...

IMG_20161201_173221_zpsiqfc74fv.jpg

C

Anyone else having trouble uploading to the members gallery (an excellent feature btw)? My uploads keep getting stuck on the "upload images" page...being happening for a while now.

Thanks

Dec

On 3/19/2017 at 19:49, Deco said:

Anyone else having trouble uploading to the members gallery (an excellent feature btw)? My uploads keep getting stuck on the "upload images" page...being happening for a while now.

Thanks

Dec

There are no errors with the Gallery at this end,