• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
rhaythorne

Why are watch straps so expensive?

35 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

Just my opinion but however much a strap made out of bits of dead animal costs it`s waaay too cheap $ (51).gif $ (31).gif

One of the best straps I've had is a one piece canvas Kobold, but they've been out of stock for ages.:angry:

kb01.jpg

Edited by WRENCH

Watch straps are made by leather, gold , silver ,platinum due to this straps are expensive. If the straps is based on new fashion and unique color then price is so high.

I have bought straps from Pavel before and have been extremely pleased with his work. I also dabble a little bit in leatherwork myself (without having miterants expertise or patience) and find making watch straps is vastly more difficult, painstaking, stressful and frustrating than belt making. Did anyone hear about the time I cut the end of my thumb off skiving a Panerai type strap? Anyway I got my fingerprint back in the end.

The point I make is even if the material needed is much less for a watch strap compared to a belt the stress, sweat and fingertips are costly.

On 28/06/2016 at 05:34, Jdp said:

Same reason divorces are so expensive...  because they're worth it! 

Best answer yet!

Edited by TONY M
1 person likes this

Another piece of Pav magic.   Arrived today.   You cannot buy straps of better quality for £35.

CAM02519_1.jpg

CAM02518_1.jpg

2 people like this

This is a very interesting topic for me.
In Ukraine, such questions more rare. But still.
The colleague has already explained its pricing. I will add.
1. Tools, special tools are expensive. Just cut a strip of skin- You can ordinary knife, but beautifully cut, sanded, glued, handle edge, paint, thread not for shoes)), etc. This is another level.
2. Materials. Use the need to correct the leather, and spent more than you can see in the final product.
3. Paints, waxes, varnishes. You do not think about them, but You want to wear a beautiful product for over a month. And it needs to handle properly.
4. Time. The most expensive. On a good strap I spent 5-8 hours of time. About one working day. Imagine your salary. Divide it by 22. Multiply by 1.5 around, here's the price of a good strap for You.
I'm not talking about the skin of a crocodile or frog)).
For me the leathercraft - it is a hobby. And the pricing is different. But you want to know why and how it is)).
By the way, as shown on Your belt (not high quality) I would take 4-5 hours- less than a good strap.
Good luck!

1 person likes this

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 22:20, Miterant said:

I'm making watch straps.
Doing everything by hand with no machines and patterns, just hand tools.
Cutting, gluing, sewing, finishing edges, everything by hand.
It takes me 2 to 3 hours to make one strap. (because I'm still working it's my spare time, mostly nights and weekends)
I've spent thousands of pounds for leather, tools and  other materials  for strapmaking.
Because I'm selling my straps I have to pay various fees, taxes etc.
I'm charging approximately 40£ for a strap.

Are watch straps very expensive?

qLwRI2.jpg

WfeIZU.jpg

Luh5QE.jpg

They look excellent, the cheap leather strap I have on my sekonda Is falling apart every time I put it on my wrist!!

On 5/16/2016 at 04:20, Miterant said:

I'm making watch straps.
Doing everything by hand with no machines and patterns, just hand tools.
Cutting, gluing, sewing, finishing edges, everything by hand.
It takes me 2 to 3 hours to make one strap. (because I'm still working it's my spare time, mostly nights and weekends)
I've spent thousands of pounds for leather, tools and  other materials  for strapmaking.
Because I'm selling my straps I have to pay various fees, taxes etc.
I'm charging approximately 40£ for a strap.

Are watch straps very expensive?

qLwRI2.jpg

WfeIZU.jpg

Luh5QE.jpg

Your straps are beautiful IMHO. What kind of leather is it?

I have mixed fortunes with leather straps. Do others find a correlation between cheap and nasty leather straps and smelly sweaty leather? To be fair I have always found leather straps to become smelly and unpleasant. But perhaps I've only had poor quality straps? Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mixed fortunes with leather straps. Do others find a correlation between cheap and nasty leather straps and smelly sweaty leather? To be fair I have always found leather straps to become smelly and unpleasant. But perhaps I've only had poor quality straps? Any thoughts?

Just like anything made from natural or animal materiel, you have to take care of it. I switch out the straps or the watches on the straps daily. A gentle wiping of the leather with a damp cloth (the just-used towel after showering is perfect-o) before letting air dry and rest on its day off has kept my Hirsch and other brand straps in very good condition, never smelly.

I can't speak for crappy cheap straps, all the mid-grade and high quality straps I wear have a lining that is meant to be against the skin, resistant to sweat and oil. Hirsch's straps have a great lining material that lasts for years, with - ahem - proper care.

I see a lot of handmade, boutique leather straps on forums that don't appear to have any lining. I'm sure that's economical and macho, but makes poor sense to me. The rough, fibrous side of the leather should not be rubbing on exposed skin IMHO.
1 person likes this

Just like anything made from natural or animal materiel, you have to take care of it. I switch out the straps or the watches on the straps daily. A gentle wiping of the leather with a damp cloth (the just-used towel after showering is perfect-o) before letting air dry and rest on its day off has kept my Hirsch and other brand straps in very good condition, never smelly.

I can't speak for crappy cheap straps, all the mid-grade and high quality straps I wear have a lining that is meant to be against the skin, resistant to sweat and oil. Hirsch's straps have a great lining material that lasts for years, with - ahem - proper care.

I see a lot of handmade, boutique leather straps on forums that don't appear to have any lining. I'm sure that's economical and macho, but makes poor sense to me. The rough, fibrous side of the leather should not be rubbing on exposed skin IMHO.

Helpful tips - thank you. A good reason for investment in multiple straps AND multiple watches! I'm going to have fun down this rabbit hole...