• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Roy

Replacing Bezel Ball/Spring Easily

Roy    4,943

How to replace a bezel spring and ball bearing easily without buying any parts.

If your Seiko's bezel has worn loose or does not click then this is an ideal cheap quick fix.

Tools and parts needed, 1 x ball point pen, 1 x thin spring bar, tweezers and some cutters.

1.jpg

Remove the bezel. On this one the ball bearing was totally missing. The spring was there but it was worn and a little corroded.

2.jpg

Next, using the cutters, cut the biro end and the ball bearing will come out, I've caught it into a piece of kitchen roll here. Do not clean the ball bearing, leave the ink on it, I will explain later....

3.jpg

Break the spring bar and take out the spring.

4.jpg

Cut the new spring to size.

5.jpg

Put the new spring in the hole, I've probably made this a little long but I like them to be tight.

6.jpg

Now carefully pick up the ball bearing and place it on top of the spring. The ink that we left on it will be tacky enough to stop the ball bearing rolling off.

7.jpg

Take the bezel and place your thumb over the place where the ball bearing is,  pushing down on this place first then keeping your thumb holding that place down push with your other hand the rest of the bezel on.  Job done, nice tight clicking bezel :)

8.jpg

Great tip, Roy, thanks!:thumbsup:

....but I'm going out on a wire here as a newb to tinkering...feel free to shoot me down....

personally, I would clean the ball of ink, then lubricate it with a tiny bit of clear silicone grease which would also hold it in place....am I being a pratt?

Edited by Roger the Dodger

SBryantgb    9,627
On 08/05/2016 at 15:12, Roger the Dodger said:

....am I being a pratt?

For once no :whistle:must feel good :thumbsup: