• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
reggie747

WEC Silverstone 6hr Race (yesterday.....)

A pal and I scooted on down to the WEC Silverstone 6hr endurance race yesterday - Did any of the forum members have a piece of it I wonder ?

I've attended many a Grand Prix there over the years but never a WEC event. My initial surprise given that this is a full blown round of an FIA sanctioned event was the complete lack of numbers of people there - it was surprisingly light of crowds. I suppose on reflection and with some thought, it was never going to be like a Formula 1 event but I felt it was really under subscribed. My very rough guess is that maybe 6000/8000 people at a push.
There was a £ 40 entrance fee and you could basically sit in whichever grandstand you wanted to (I think only 2 were closed). There was a free bus service on to get around the circuit rather than walk the whole thing.
I can't figure out why the 3 leading manufacturers, Audi, Porsche (Audi) and Toyota actually bother with this because prize money from bums on seats would be a shortfall.
The racing was very good though particularly the three teams mentioned above. There was a privateer turnout filling the lower classes.

A great day weather wise but I probably won't be attending again. The atmosphere was lacking.

Just some thoughts....

• Like 1

I went to that event a few years ago, just before it became part of the WEC.  Not sure now if it was the European Le Mans Series final, the 6hrs. of Silverstone or the 1000KM of Silverstone; something like that!

Anyway, I do remember that it was a fantastic day!  I was a guest of Kaspersky who sponsored AF Corse.  So, not only was I able to get up close and personal with some of my favourite Ferrari Sports cars, I also had a spot of lunch with Jean Alesi and Giancarlo Fisichella before settling back to watch the race :)

There's so much more variety with sports car racing and I find it much more interesting than F1.  As you mention, there were very few people there but, personally, I prefer it like that.  Grand Prix crowds can be a bit overwhelming at times and it can take hours getting in and out of the circuit with so many people there.

Edited by rhaythorne

18 minutes ago, rhaythorne said:

I went to that event a few years ago, just before it became part of the WEC.  Not sure now if it was the European Le Mans Series final, the 6hrs. of Silverstone or the 1000KM of Silverstone; something like that!

Anyway, I do remember that it was a fantastic day!  I was a guest of Kaspersky who sponsored AF Corse.  So, not only was I able to get up close and personal with some of my favourite Ferrari Sports cars, I also had a spot of lunch with Jean Alesi and Giancarlo Fisichella before settling back to watch the race :)

There's so much more variety with sports car racing and I find it much more interesting than F1.  As you mention, there were very few people there but, personally, I prefer it like that.  Grand Prix crowds can be a bit overwhelming at times and it can take hours getting in and out of the circuit with so many people there.

Nice touch with Alesi and Fisi :thumbsup:

I also agree largely on the getting in and back out of the circuit on GP day. Quite a ball ache ordinarily. I was however once very fortunate to be heli'd in and out after the race so that was a day to remember. My fortunes must be slipping somewhat 'cos there's no chance of that happening again anytime soon.  :laugh:

I have been to this event in several times in different guises and think it is probably a good taster for the famous Le mans 24 hour . It does probably lack some atmosphere and in my opinion was better when it was held in September , but thats just my opinion . I have also been to Le mans several time starting in the early 1990s and apart from the cars it is obviously chalk and cheese . Perhaps its me getting a little older but motorsport in general seems to have got a bit sterile , so perhaps this applies to the Silverstone 6hrs .

Going off on a slight tangent the Silverstone classic is a fantastic weekend if you like a blend of vintage / historic and modern :thumbsup:

The Le Mans Classic looks absolutely fascinating.  I was looking at the web site yesterday and am quite tempted to go but, if not, I'm hoping Motors TV or Eurosport will cover it.

I had a hunt around and found some pictures for the event I mentioned above, taken by a colleague of mine.  It was the Le Mans Series 1000KM of Silverstone, September 12 2010:

lms2010-00.jpg

lms2010-01.jpg

lms2010-02.jpg

Spot The Stig!

lms2010-03.jpg