UK Watch Forum banner

Bullhead cheapies

7K views 67 replies 16 participants last post by  Davey P 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Whilst browsing for bits and bobs for my vaping habit I noticed the site I use was selling some chronograph watches in the £12 to £15 delivered price range by a maker called "Megir"

I'm not generally much interested in fashion watches but I kinda like these, They are powered mostly by a version of the Seiko VD51b chronograph movement which indecently cost more from cousins when you add the vat and postage than buying these complete watches.

I think I may add one to my next order just for a look see,

wookie

1436226613632-P-2808439_zpszwf73tbu.jpg
1455583351834336428_zpsng1oq4bt.jpg
1439764332998-P-2958449_zpsd8dcjbbn.jpg
1455583320325430064_zpsrp5qnpr9.jpg
1451973234708530157_zpslja98ome.jpg
1451451205310413815_zpsbobd078s.jpg
1451451124030167481_zpsriqennzm.jpg
1450899492184-P-3641693_zpss8qjn9rt.jpg
1445549557592-P-3271743_zpsblbfieal.jpg

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well they don't contain Seiko or Miyota [Citizen] or ISA.... They do contain Sunon P90 variant

I have seen a number of these & own two Megir Model 2011.

It is variously described as having a: [quoted so spelling is iffy!]

1] Japanese Miyota 2035 Quartz Movement

2] Calibre Chinese quartz stopwatch 1/10 second.

3] Imported Japan quartz movement: Makes it work good and keeps accurate time

4] Seiko VD51b chronograph

5] Sunon P90 Chinese Chronographic Movement

I've seen various sellers claim that Megir import and use ISA quartz movements (ISA Swiss, Ltd. Hong Kong) Seiko or Miyota movements in their watches.

I have taken the back off five of these Megir watches, in various models & configurations in which they had all claimed that they contained either Imported Japanese movements. or stated Seiko, Miyota quartz movement. They actually all contained a variant of a Sunon PE902 quartz movement. It's made in China and works well. Sunon isn't a Seiko, Miyota or ISA movement.

Nice cheap Quartz chrono but it has not got a Japanese movement.

By all means try one but they don't have a Japanese sourced Quartz movement.

Mike

#6 ·
Well they don't contain Seiko or Miyota [Citizen] or ISA.... They do contain Sunon P90 variant

I have seen a number of these & own two Megir Model 2011.

It is variously described as having a: [quoted so spelling is iffy!]

1] Japanese Miyota 2035 Quartz Movement

2] Calibre Chinese quartz stopwatch 1/10 second.

3] Imported Japan quartz movement: Makes it work good and keeps accurate time

4] Seiko VD51b chronograph

5] Sunon P90 Chinese Chronographic Movement

I've seen various sellers claim that Megir import and use ISA quartz movements (ISA Swiss, Ltd. Hong Kong) Seiko or Miyota movements in their watches.

I have taken the back off five of these Megir watches, in various models & configurations in which they had all claimed that they contained either Imported Japanese movements. or stated Seiko, Miyota quartz movement. They actually all contained a variant of a Sunon PE902 quartz movement. It's made in China and works well. Sunon isn't a Seiko, Miyota or ISA movement.

Nice cheap Quartz chrono but it has not got a Japanese movement.

By all means try one but they don't have a Japanese sourced Quartz movement.

Mike
Hi Mike

The sales page showed the movement pictured underneath, It looked to me like some sort of VD variant but I'll take your word for it if that's not the case

Wookie

201510091103006569_zps6hwvqem5.jpg

Oh the Chronograph works OK & I agree at under £20 that's pretty good, I have no problem with a Chinese Quartz Chrono at this price-point at all...Just another bit of Chinese made electronics!!! I think the one you refer to is a bit more expensive though! But still under £25!!! Make very good 1st Chronograph or beaters!!!
The one Davey likes is £14 delivered, you even get tracked postage, Its bonkers what the Chinese can do for so little money

Wookie

#4 ·
Oh the Chronograph works OK & I agree at under £20 that's pretty good, I have no problem with a Chinese Quartz Chrono at this price-point at all...Just another bit of Chinese made electronics!!! I think the one you refer to is a bit more expensive though! But still under £25!!! Make very good 1st Chronograph or beaters!!!

#9 ·
If I recall I was using Amazon prices which is where I got mine... I agree they are worth a go at these prices... I bought another even after I found that my first one had a Chinese movement.... That one also said it had Seiko movement... It had a perfectly viable Chinese one! I was just sooooooooooooooo surprised that the Chrono actually worked at that price-point!!

They might now be using Seiko/Miyota movement & I got a Chinese movement [MkI] & they are now selling an upgraded MKII with Japanese imported Movement... But I do doubt it! Try it you'll be pleased either way.

Mike

#11 ·
If I recall I was using Amazon prices which is where I got mine... I agree they are worth a go at these prices... I bought another even after I found that my first one had a Chinese movement.... That one also said it had Seiko movement... It had a perfectly viable Chinese one! I was just sooooooooooooooo surprised that the Chrono actually worked at that price-point!!

They might now be using Seiko/Miyota movement & I got a Chinese movement [MkI] & they are now selling an upgraded MKII with Japanese imported Movement... But I do doubt it! Try it you'll be pleased either way.

Mike
Hi Mike

The prices on some of the stuff on the site where I got these pictures is incredibly low , often much cheaper than amazon, They also have a sort of review and feedback section for customers which allows pictures of what they bought, I'll have a flick through and see if anyone has had the back off, I doubt there is any hard and fast rules as to what's in these ,probably more a case of what was cheap and available in bulk that week.

Wookie

#19 ·
Hello wookie I hope you are well.

I suppose you could always put a Jap movement in if so desired may even make a nice project.

They don't look bad to me so thanks for the post. :)
I am indeed well, Thanks for asking PC

Well, I have just ordered this bad boy:

1455583351834336428.jpg

So, in 10 - 25 days time we will see what £13.79 buys you these days... :laugh:
I think I might get that one in silver with white dial and put it on a nice brown leather rally strap

wook

#30 ·
Just to add, I've looked at their confirmation email again, and when I clicked on the small thumbnail they had attached, it's actually a massive photo! :laugh: It shows my actual parcel sat on some scales, with the address label and bar code all clearly visible. Who offers that level of customer service these days? Even if the watch turns out to be crap, I'm still impressed by the whole experience so far :thumbsup:

#31 ·
Once received you'll probably then order another one, I know that I did!!! For the price paid (& I paid more £ for mine) I do think that you'll be pleased with it.... Whatever movement it contains!!! It's a working quartz Chronograph for under £15! I cannot remember which battery it takes, because I always replace batteries as soon as any quartz ones arrive.

But... Now you have to play the waiting game until it arrives!

#34 ·
Well, it's the moment you've all been waiting for.... the bad boy bullhead has arrived, and............ drum roll please.................. I bloody love it!!! :laugh:

Let's start with the "packaging", which can best be described as, er, basic... It came in a padded envelope (as shown on their email), and the watch was inside a Megir branded ziplock bag (no expense spared, obviously!): :tongue:

20160420_133818_zps22hjcel9.jpg

I opened the bag to find that the whole watch had been vacuum packed! Not seen that before, but if nothing else it proved that the watch was "factory fresh": :laugh:

20160420_133924_zpszdzqhmqk.jpg

After I'd carefully removed all of the plastic protection, I was pleasantly surprised to find this:

20160420_134450_zpsdfrm0k3c.jpg

First impressions? Well, for a start I'd say it looks much better in real life than it did on their website, and at under 14 quid this has got to be an absolute bargain :yahoo:

The bullhead design means that the dial is tipped forward to allow space for the buttons at the top, and I think it looks really nice. The watch head has got a decent weight to it, but is slightly let down by a light weight bracelet. Not a problem for me, as I will almost certainly be swapping it to a rubber strap anyway. I will resize it though, and try it out just to see what it feels like, and I'll post a wrist shot.

The case finish is gloss black, with a small amount of satin black in the wedge shape where the buttons are located, which is a nice touch. I am under no illusions that this will be a hard wearing finish, it's painted not PVD, but it looks good anyway.

The crystal is glass, not plastic, and the stopwatch functions work fine. The left hand subdial is seconds, bottom one is minutes, and the top one is a 24 hour indicator. The dial is quite nicely detailed, which doesn't really show up very well in my photo. The 6000 at the 12 position is metallic gold, and the centre circle where the subdials sit has got engraved horizontal lines, and is slightly recessed.

All in all, I am delighted with this watch so far. I haven't opened it up to see what's inside yet, but when I get round to it I'll post a pic.

Thanks to Wookie for the heads-up :thumbsup:

#40 ·
Having found the size of that bullhead I decided to give it a miss due to it being in excess of 40mm. But I have bitten the bullet and ordered their model 3008 and 2011 as they both come in at 39 mm. Total cost? £29.20 and it's that much because I paid the extra £0.72 for shipping :biggrin:

Once they arrive, I 'll take the backs off and see what movement is inside. That will double the size of my Chinese watch collection :yes:

David

#41 ·
Well, I didn't even bother resizing the bracelet. I've had a play with some different strap options this morning, and I'm pretty happy with the result. In 3rd place it's a black leather with yellow stitching from Cousins:

20160421_085635_zpshacyaowz.jpg

Looks OK, but it's a bit short.

In 2nd place is a nice quality Pulsar black canvas/leather:

20160421_090157_zpsjjumbqam.jpg

Again, looks OK, and is a better length, but I've returned it to the Pulsar chrono it came from.

And the winner is.............. a soft rubber ebay special, which cost a grand total of 6 quid:

20160421_090803_zpsz1ysjvj0.jpg

And of course, the obligatory wrist shot:

20160421_091040_zpsxt2ivz3o.jpg

Plus a closer view of the dial, but I still haven't managed to capture the details very well...

20160421_091153_zpsn9wq0x1z.jpg

Who knew you could have so much fun for a grand total of 20 quid...? :laugh:

I'm away to the Isle of Wight from tomorrow until monday, so I will wear this from now until I come back, and report back if anything falls off or goes wrong with the mighty Megir bullhead :thumbsup:

#45 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, I didn't even bother resizing the bracelet. I've had a play with some different strap options this morning, and I'm pretty happy with the result. In 3rd place it's a black leather with yellow stitching from Cousins:

20160421_085635_zpshacyaowz.jpg

Looks OK, but it's a bit short.

In 2nd place is a nice quality Pulsar black canvas/leather:

20160421_090157_zpsjjumbqam.jpg

Again, looks OK, and is a better length, but I've returned it to the Pulsar chrono it came from.

And the winner is.............. a soft rubber ebay special, which cost a grand total of 6 quid:

20160421_090803_zpsz1ysjvj0.jpg

And of course, the obligatory wrist shot:

20160421_091040_zpsxt2ivz3o.jpg

Plus a closer view of the dial, but I still haven't managed to capture the details very well...

20160421_091153_zpsn9wq0x1z.jpg

Who knew you could have so much fun for a grand total of 20 quid...? :laugh:

I'm away to the Isle of Wight from tomorrow until monday, so I will wear this from now until I come back, and report back if anything falls off or goes wrong with the mighty Megir bullhead :thumbsup:
Looking good Davey,

I have to say I'm now also tempted by the megir 3789, It's not much of looker but I'm interested to see what's inside as the picture appears to show an unbranded (copy?) eta 251.272 chronograph movement, Although its certainly not the same watch :bash: , but the dial scripts on the sub dials of the watch are confusing to say the least :laugh: so they are not much help in figuring out what's in there .

The eta 251.272 is a pretty decent movement so a clone should be half decent, They are asking one english five pound note including delivery for the watch in question so I'll probably bite being a tight arse,

URL]
1452670391463688_zpsbywghxjp.jpg

wookie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.