• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
jackteet

replating

1 hour ago, PC-Magician said:

Roger I remember you having that done.

Is the last pic a recent one? how is it holding up?.

Yes...it's still brilliant, Jon....I tried to search for the original posts I made at the time, but couldn't find them.

1 hour ago, SBryantgb said:

That really is a good price :thumbsup: I'm assuming they strip degrease prime and plate.

Yep...it's the whole 'shebang'...

• Like 1

Guest Bruce
18 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Yes...it's still brilliant, Jon....I tried to search for the original posts I made at the time, but couldn't find them.

just out of interest, what about dents? are they filled?

16 minutes ago, Bruce said:

just out of interest, what about dents? are they filled?

That, I can't tell you, Bruce...you'd have to ask them. Personally, I would remove all scratches and dings before I sent it....the Lorus didn't need any refinishing as there was no serious damage, scratching or dents, just wear to the plating on the points...

• Like 1

Guest Bruce
Just now, Roger the Dodger said:

That, I can't tell you, Bruce...you'd have to ask them. Personally, I would remove all scratches and dings before I sent it....the Lorus didn't need any refinishing as there was no serious damage, scratching or dents, just wear to the plating on the points...

that makes sense i suppose, its just when i send stuff off for chroming they do all the dents etc, but then the last time it was nearly 2k 

1 minute ago, Bruce said:

that makes sense i suppose, its just when i send stuff off for chroming they do all the dents etc, but then the last time it was nearly 2k 

Just ask them...they're pretty accomodating....

Edited by Roger the Dodger
  • Like 1

dents, pits and  scratches - that  would a big deal to  a" replater" as re chroming a bumper.  they grind and re shape.  I have old  military watch cases that  are  deeply pitted (nickel  plate over  pot metal  I think).  one jeweler said "not   repairable"

On 3/28/2016 at 00:03, Roger the Dodger said:

I used this company to replate a Lorus Mickey Mouse watch in 18ct gold. They did the case, bezel and crown for £55. Took about a week. Ring up/email and ask for a quote

http://easyelectroplating.co.uk/

Before...
116_zps779ab915.jpg

After...
012_zps0d870eb0.jpg
005_zpsb45ee498.jpg

Thanks for given the idea related to replate the watch in UK.

That is definitely sure that all scratches etc. has to be grinded and polished away before replating. (Chrome)plating is so thin, maybe 10-20 microns thick so it will not hide scratches. I think grinding should be finished with 2000 grit sandpaper before plating if you want smooth surface.