Online, I agree - pointless and annoying.
In a store, I can play the game.
1. Do your homework to find out RRP and general GM prices before setting out.
2. Strap on the Speedy (in my case, or whatever you have in yours) to show you mean business.
3. Say, "I'd like to see the xxxxxxx and compare it with any similar watches you might suggest, please." (Gives them a task)
4. Have lots of WIS type questions ready, even if you know the answers.
5. Play with the watches, ask for a loupe, hoover up the free coffee or champagne. Generally act as if being there is your birth right.
Price has not been mentioned yet!
6. Say, "What's your best price for this?"..."Really? And if I were to pay cash and walk out with it today?"
Can be fun, especially if you're not driving and the champagne's decent.